Sign in to follow this  
bourkie

Possible 8gb ram fix

I recently read Bug #4042 A2 Community Issue Tracker about VRAM Detection Broken

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/4042

I have noticed with my system when going between 32 bit and 64 bit windows (duel boot xp 32, 7 64) that the more ram the system has the more it allocates to be used as vram, I checked dxdiag and it said my 9800 gt has 4080 mb of vram, I then checked the 2 lines in the arma.cfg.

localVRAM=2139150848;

nonlocalVRAM=2139150848;

I then added these two together (they are the same) and converted it to Mb which was 4080.10645, the same as what the dxdiag shows my vram as.

It seems when arma2 checks your vram it gets your total and halves it, meaning the more ram you have the bigger total ram you have so arma thinks my 512mb card has 2gb vram, which was causing crashes every time I was in a town or graphic intensive place (the buildings and the ground flash white and then the game crashes straight away)

I converted my vram of 512 to bytes 536870912 and subtracted that from my total vram

536870912-4080.10645=3741430784

Then I changed my arma2.cfg localVRAM and nonlocalVRAM to end up with the following:

localVRAM=536870912; (GPU ram in bytes)

nonlocalVRAM=3741430784 (total vram - GPU ram in bytes)

then set the cfg to read only, and now after making the changes I haven't been able to get arma2 to crash. To test it I switched it back and the crashes returned.

I will do some more testing when I have time with different amounts of ram installed, and more time in game testing, but it would be worth a try for anyone having a problem with high amounts of ram. or maybe even low amounts where arma2 could think your GPU has less than its total ram.

This is my system secs

Gigabyte - GA-EP45-UD3L

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650

8gb ram (2X Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D 4GB (2x XMS2 2GB) PC-8500 (1066MHz) DDR2 RAM, 2x240-pin DIMMs, Non ECC, Unbuffered, 5-5-5-15)

navdia geforce 9800 gt 512

driver 186.18

windows 7 64bit rc build 7100

Did you notice this bit in the bugtracker report...???

To try a test, I changed the values in the CFG file to what they should be (assuming nonlocalVRAM is pagefile), and set it to read only. The textures were still blank. So, I genuinely don't think that Arma actually looks at these values for instructions, just fills them for diagnostic purposes.

I'm fairly sure the conclusion was drawn a while back - Arma 2 just uses that file to "dump" a report of it's most recent detection - it doesn't actually "read" or use those values...

B

How on earth did you get 3741430784 from 536870912 - 4080.10645? I assume you mean 4278301696 - 536870912

Is this issue exclusive for people with 8gigs of ram? I have 4 gigs of ram and 512 on my card, and my cfg file reads the following:

localVRAM=521732096;

nonlocalVRAM=1878257664;

Is this accurate?

Incidentally the game has become unplayable recently due to the white tearing. i never used to get that problem, but i am unsure what changes i have made to my system that could have brought it about.

Edited by Nosedive

Yep, your detected settings are about right. The nonlocalvram setting is meant to be for page file, but it it generally detects it as 1.8gb (being the rough limit pf memory that Arma 2 uses)

localVRAM=521732096; = roughly 497MB (your 512MB minus a bit for backbuffers and stuff...

nonlocalVRAM=1878257664; = roughly 1.7GB - this is how much of your pagefile Arma2 has decided it wants...

Those figures actually look pretty good to me...

I'm getting the same "tearing/artifacting" quite often (4GB ram here too)... my local and nonlocal ram BOTH detect as about 1.8GB... I was fairly convinced it was the wrong detection at fault...

Do you have an ATI graphics card???

B

Nah i have an Nv 8800GT, i probably should have mentioned that.

May as well mention i have 64bit Vista too.

So i've just upgraded to Sapphire's new Vapor-X variant of the HD5870. One of the best cards on the face of the earth supposedly. I can't seem to get above ~26 FPS in ArmA2. The game felt smoother when i still had the 8800GT. I have ordered a 750 watt Corsair PSU to replace my aging 600W. I'm unsure if slightly insufficient power supply would cause lowered FPS, would it?

I will soon order a new cooler for my Q6600 to overclock it above 2.4ghz. I assume my Processor is somewhat of the bottleneck at the moment, but surely if performance was better with my old card, it shouldn't get worse on a new one. This doesn't make any sense.

I'm curious though, would the original post stuff now apply to my new card? Seeing as it has 1Gig of onboard RAM. Do i need to edit anything to get the best out of Arma2?

use latest public beta with the HD5870 !

... cards on the face of the earth supposedly. I can't seem to get above ~26 FPS in ArmA2. ...
where do you get 26fps, and what settings... new topic, or post in performance thread.