Sign in to follow this  
chris330

How mod-able is this game?

Hi quick one chaps,

To cut a long story short ArmA was terrible for me. Much worse than OFP I thought. Seems ArmA 2 is getting good reviews and stuff. Having become dis-illusioned with main stream games some years ago, and now also completely tired of Battleground Europe's increasing counter-strike player base attitude and impossible bugs (unplayable) I'm looking for something that'll give me something to do which is more up my street.

I'm doing some private learning about coding and the like - game orientated - but that's got nothing to do with this post. I want something where I can do some tests on AI coding concepts and even if possible implement some rudimentary flight simulation. Is ArmA 2 edit-able enough to have complete control over AI units? Does it have good editing functions like OFP and is there a setvector command available so you can do whatever you like with a given unit?

If it's up to it I'm going to buy it, thanks ;)

Check out ARMAHOLIC's ARMA2 news page (scroll down and backtrack all pages to see what is done so far), and ofcourse check the completed addons thread here. As for how modable it is all i can say is it looks very bright. Some things are on its way that is simply amazing - and thats just the start. Im no modder so i cant tell you much, but im sure some will do. All i know is that it sure seems like we are going beyond OFP and ArmA1 quite a lot. And later on the expansion Operation Arrowhead comes and it will have core engine changes as well as VBS2 content like FLIR, IR laser, mounted flashlights etc so who knows how much further that will take us.

But it sure looks promising. Waiting to see what ACE2 will bring. :) Im sure it will blow my mind.

Oops, also check the addon discussion to see what is coming!

Alex

Hi,

That's good replies chaps. I'm not really interested in making addons or anything. I would prefer something I can write code for particularly in the way of AI and complete total user/scripter dictacted vehicle motion as I'd like to work on a flight model.

Sounds good from you what you've said! Does anyone know specifically how much control you can get over the AI? Is there a setvector command? If so can I use it with people not just vehicles? I can't do much with the AI if it just runs off the old animation style OFP did where once an animation is triggered the unit completes it and its associated co-ordinate translation regardless of what's in the way with no possibility of interrupting it. The only thing that could interrupt it was the game engine, the user could not disturb an animation part way through I tried it many times when trying to do some rough domove substitution. They'd just walk thru walls!

Thanks!

Balls :(

I can still see a way round it actually the game does look rather good enough to warrant the work. I tried breaking up OFP's animations into smaller blocks of 8 I think so they could be stopped alot better at a higher resolution. Does this game have a decent animation editor? I'm not sure I could handle OFPanim all over again!

Setpos can be used alongside high res (small translation size) anims but if I remember correctly setpos will set the unit bolt up right at a set point facing whatever dir it was when the command ran. To get really nice control over AI units I'd need to be able to set their pitch and bank and stuff in combination with animations, which leads me tooo...

Is there a setvector command and does it/can it work on people?

I basically just want a more sophistcated use of my free time than the circus of battleground europe and the dregs of games like far cry variants. Oh and I'm bored of flight sims too so I need a new friend :286:

Download the Demo, that is the only way to see for your self if the game is worth buying, grant it the Demo is a very small piece of the game, but it has the editor & the 3d editor to my knowledge.

I know it's generally mod-able I've been around since 2002 and written lots of stuff for OFP and made addons too (my own SA-80 and also made the LAW-80 for the first releases of PUKF's stuff).

Can anyone answer the specific question being asked with regards is setvector command present like it was in ArmA and does it work for people or just vehicles.

The demo just lost con during d/l 1 Gig in aaargghh!

Think I'm going to buy it anyway I need something to do now I ain't playing BGE ;)

Edited by chris330

Can anyone answer the specific question being asked with regards is setvector command present like it was in ArmA and does it work for people or just vehicles.

Yes.

Pretty sure it applies to both objects and players (might ask for confirmation in the editing forum).

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setVectorDir

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setVectorDirAndUp