Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios - WIP Discussion

rock, why you cancelled it? :(

sorry, i was blind... so it's because of UK.

rock, why you cancelled it? :(

sorry, i was blind... so it's because of UK.

Yeah, i just dont have the time or resources to make all the F-35 versions. Once i was told the 35B was going to be dropped by the UK MoD I starting making a completely new F-35C model.

With my workload split 50/50 with UK and Ilhas Africanos Project (IAP) I had to be pretty ruthless and drop some projects. The F-35B no longer fits my own needs or the scenerios i have for IAP it had to go... :butbut:

Together with quite a few others. But ont he bright side there are some really funky new things in the works.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

How's the website revival comming? :p

Rock,

I have alway found the work you have done as always being top notch. I would like to ask you a about the Ilhas Africanos Project (IAP). I have heard about it, but was wondering it you could expand upon it some more and inform us on how that is progressing. I really enjoyed the Island you released and was hoping one day you would release an updated version of it.

How's the website revival comming? :p

Slower than I'd like... not as fast as I need. ;)

Rock,

I have alway found the work you have done as always being top notch. I would like to ask you a about the Ilhas Africanos Project (IAP). I have heard about it, but was wondering it you could expand upon it some more and inform us on how that is progressing. I really enjoyed the Island you released and was hoping one day you would release an updated version of it.

IAP is both a new project and a new, if slightly experimental approach to community modding. Sounds a bit pretentious doesn't it. But the idea behind it is to create a mod that anyone can be part of.

THEME

The main conflict is set in an island chain about 300 miles off the West African coast between the Cape Verde chain and the Canary Islands. Ilha Marrom is planned to be a huge part of the IAP conflict so I can promise you a major update at some point.

The project's theme owes a lot to the Ballistic Addon Studios Tonal pack OFP days. At the time its was so utterly ground breaking that everyone still requests its revival to this day. Even 3 games later.

We will only be making a small lightly armed Government (BLUFOR) force, a lightly armed Insurgent (Independent) and a heavier OPFOR coalition made from a large number of African states.

I do have a core story line I would like to follow; If for no other reason than to provide some structure for the Project to follow. Besides, both a friend (who works at the Institute of Strategic Studies) and I spent nearly 2 months of 2009 planning it all out. Considering recent events in North Africa it's potentially fairly realistic and allows for a very large scale conventional conflict. And the story line and structure I have planned is pretty open. So it leaves plenty of scope for a huge range of scenarios.

WHY?

When I've been asked to explain the concept to others before I've described it as an antidote to the big mods (ACE, PR, FDF, CSLA) etc. A lot of these teams are seen as insular and untouchable with such high standards. Its hard for a new modder to break in. And as such its hard to get the sort of knowledge you really do need to make good addons. I'd like IAP to be a bridge between the older hands and the new guys joining in.

The plan is that the Ilhas Africanos Project will to provide a core and catalyst for a larger open and accessible community project. The mains aims of which are:

• To provide an alternative to the big total conversion mods.
  • To provide a core set of basic addons and islands with a credible OPFOR force.
  • To provide an accessible MP friendly pack.
  • To provide an addon pack that will not break other people's addons.
  • To get smaller teams and addon makers projects into mainstream MP use.
  • To bring these smaller teams into contact with each other build a friendlier community.
  • To help each other out by sharing skills and capabilities.

It sounds rather grandiose, these are some pretty lofty goals but what i am proposing is less of a traditional closed mod and more of a large scale open cooperation. But at the same time I really do want to keep it separate from the bigger mod packs.

I'll explain all the mechanics of it when the IAP site goes live but in the means time this is how I see it working:

1. First thing to understand is this: IAP is not an RKSL project. Forget all the forums BS and politics. Forget all the rumour mongering and lies you've heard. Everyone that participates in IAP will have an equal voice. You have to be a part of it to get a voice though.
  2. IAP will be a collection of addons made by lots of different people. People are invited to make versions of their own addons and either "donate" a version of their addons by using the IAP tag. Or make a reskin of their addons that will fit the IAP scenario. Everyone that contributes addons will still own their own content completely. Or will make missions with the IAP content that use their own addons.
  3. Anyone and everyone will be invited to make missions with the first beta and then we will run a sort of competition for the best missions and fold them into the "official" campaign pack.
  4. At the same time as the first beta we'll also release a more detailed story and timeline to anyone that wants to make missions (but only to these mission makers to save the surprise for the rest of the community).
  5. It is planned to release IAP in 4-6 chapters spaced at 2-3 month intervals. And with each new chapter new content will be added to the core IAP addon pack and release the best SP and MP missions using the available content at the time.
  6. Addons and content will get voted in/out. I'll be posting a wish list on the IAP site together with an outline.
  7. While not everyone's contributions may make it into the "Official" pack we'll try to compile "Extra" packs too. Things to expand your own missions etc
  8. There will be a techincal "standard" for addons. This may sound elitest but its to ensure MP compatibility etc. But fear not, if we all work together and share information via ArmAstack etc hitting the standard shouldn't be hard.

I'll explain more properly on the IAP website when it goes live. Right now I'm building some core addons and recruiting a few more experienced souls before going properly public.

@ Landdon, I hope that answers some of your questions :D

Edited by RKSL-Rock

About IAP, the current island has only one issue that kinda bugs me. The names on there look like someone grabbed google translator and literally translated everything :rolleyes: , and unfortunately, not well.

About IAP, the current island has only one issue that kinda bugs me. The names on there look like someone grabbed google translator and literally translated everything :rolleyes: , and unfortunately, not well.

LOL well that is actualy what happened. But rest assured "most" of the names will be changed to protect the cringe-worthy.

The names themselves were honestly a very last minute addition. Previously they were all like "Town11", "Hydrodam", "East Airport", "Flying club", "Objective4" etc.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Well, if you need some inspiration:

Possible African Town names:

- Bula Bula

- Ashingasa

- Moowait

- Kijan

- Ajisan

- Al Ashir

- Lansua

- Shisam

If i get some more in my head, i ll post 'em.

@RKSL-Rock great idea, i love the idea of the IAP Project, i would be interested in this. :)

The names themselves were honestly a very last minute addition. Previously they were all like "Town11", "Hydrodam", "East Airport", "Flying club", "Objective4" etc.

Inspiration on names will properly come from the discussion with the guys and you who make it. But here is a thing, I was planning on making an island of the Kruger National park, since I am gay for it but don't get to go that often now, during the winter, time-permitting, with a bit of fluff too. For something like that the names (and linguistic, cultural and demographical reasons behind those names) already there but it wouldn't half be an ease on your time to have a selective approach to poaching real world names from a single nearby source such as a national park or a local population and their language.

Just a thought ;)

Hey thanks the RAF planes look GREAT but will you please make the Tornado its about time someone made one :)

already making a blufor army :p

I can also add that it seems that some of the names appear to have been translated into portuguese (my native language), although comically reversed in order making it sound stupid :D , having resulting in me bursting in laughter when i read them the first time.

I can also add that it seems that some of the names appear to have been translated into portuguese (my native language), although comically reversed in order making it sound stupid :D , having resulting in me bursting in laughter when i read them the first time.

Thats nice for you.

We get it. The names are incorrectly translated. Instead of repeatedly telling us they are wrong, how about helping out and providing a more accurate translation.

If you want to complain to someone, go have a chat with Google. It's their translation tool that mangled the more descriptive English names.

already making a blufor army

And the point of that is?

Who is making a blufor army?

Or is that a question?

There are a over a dozen teams making Blufor kit right now, including RKSL. But I have to assume you are referring to IAP with your comment since ther is no context with your post.

We are going to provide a basic Government (BLUFOR) Force for as much for story purposes as for practical use. Something for the other teams making blufor content to "assist" in the 'official' and user made content and campaigns. Personally I think not making a government force would just look stupid in the context of the story we have developed.

...just as stupid as judging us with the miniscule amount of information available so far. :eek:

Hey thanks the RAF planes look GREAT but will you please make the Tornado its about time someone made one

Already done and in late stages of development, as has already been stated rather a lot recently.

Inspiration on names will properly come from the discussion with the guys and you who make it. But here is a thing, I was planning on making an island of the Kruger National park, since I am gay for it but don't get to go that often now, during the winter, time-permitting, with a bit of fluff too. For something like that the names (and linguistic, cultural and demographical reasons behind those names) already there but it wouldn't half be an ease on your time to have a selective approach to poaching real world names from a single nearby source such as a national park or a local population and their language.

Just a thought

Well the release of Ilha Marrom ALPHA was really a completely last minute thing. The BETA build was more advanced (but also more buggy) and had far less "creative" names. Literally just numbers and descriptions. Even the DAR-V edition just had numbers and feature names. It was done at the suggestion of one of the beta testers at the last possible minute. And I do mean the "minute" before packing.

The nice thing is it's obscenely easy to change the names anyway. Once we I have a new build available that works without issue in MP then I'll also upgrade the names. But if anyone feels like collecting a list of appropriate names for me I'll be happy to include them.

Already done and in late stages of development, as has already been stated rather a lot recently. (quote)

Thanks its really a shame your not doing a gazzell :( but awwell anyway im looking VERY forward for the tornado it will finely allow me to finish my British base on UTES template :)

It wasn't exactly my intent to throw it in your face, nor complaining about GT, i know it's rubbish, but react as you wish.

So, some suggestions for improving the names:

Ilha Africana or Ilha Afrikaans

Savana Branca or Planície Branca (translates to white plains)

Porto Novo (or Newport, sounds good too)

Junção da Cruz

Vale Final

Velho Aeroporto Russo

Mar de Relva

Barragem Hidroeléctrica do Choque

Aeródromo da Montanha do Choque

Ilha da Lasca

RKSL-Rock, i am Portuguese too, if you need some translation feel free ask me, if u want. thanks for your work ,cheers mate.

I am so stoked for your website to come back on line. You have no idea.

Anyway, some more WIP. Its still very early. This is another older project thats been ressurected. Its still very much WIP but its getting there slowly.

rksl-manhx60-001.jpg

rksl-manhx60-002.jpg

rksl-manhx60-003.jpg

rksl-manhx60-004.jpg

Since PR are doing some MAN trucks but since PR will be a standalone package I've made some MAN's for others to use if they like(well primarily me but I like sharing). Anyway some nice features in it:

• Hideable breaklights
  • Highbeam/Low beam lights
  • DROPS kit (planned)

and a few other bits...

I've got some scale issues to look at and then i'll detail it properly. And yes I will add the RPG cages and probably lots of different versions too :p

Edited by RKSL-Rock

well, if you need some inspiration:

Possible african town names:

- bula bula

- ashingasa

- moowait

- kijan

- ajisan

- al ashir

- lansua

- shisam

if i get some more in my head, i ll post 'em.

jagu jagu

Memories of Tonal just came flooding back...

please say you'll at least consider a man srv :D

but its looking!

Anyway, some more WIP. Its still very early. This is another older project thats been ressurected. Its still very much WIP but its getting there slowly.

http://downloads.rkslstudios.info/RKSL/wip/rksl-manhx60-001.jpg[/iG]

http://downloads.rkslstudios.info/RKSL/wip/rksl-manhx60-002.jpg[/iG]

http://downloads.rkslstudios.info/RKSL/wip/rksl-manhx60-003.jpg[/iG]

http://downloads.rkslstudios.info/RKSL/wip/rksl-manhx60-004.jpg[/iG]

Since PR are doing some MAN trucks but since PR will be a standalone package I've made some MAN's for others to use if they like(well primarily me but I like sharing). Anyway some nice features in it:

• Hideable breaklights
  • Highbeam/Low beam lights
  • DROPS kit (planned)

and a few other bits...

I've got some scale issues to look at and then i'll detail it properly. And yes I will add the RPG cages and probably lots of different versions too :p

I don't think I've ever been more thrilled to hear of a truck addon (or highbeams/lowbeams and drops for that matter)

Like most other projects, hotly awaiting giving them a go