Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios - WIP Discussion

Indeed. Hope you get better soon mate.

Definitely, but I will be pestering about UAV's as soon as he is feeling better :)

uavj.jpg

I've been in an out of hospital recently so really only had my laptop. It doesnt have my full project drive, hence the ressurection of old projects etc.

Harrier progress is slow right now. But thats mostly due to real life commitments and dodgy kidneys.

Get well soon, Rock!

Definitely post pics, Rock. :D

Definitely post pics, Rock. :D

Its UNN's baby really. He's done the amazing yet again. I'll let him explain. ;)

Its worth the wait.

I'm so stoked, so much amazing stuff coming down the pipe.

Does this mean I can post the other shots now too ?

You just said that to tease us didn't you?

Rock and UNN, your teasing us again. Lol.

Would we do such a thing! ;)

OK he're the other pictures I was talking about:

http://downloads.rkslstudios.info/RKSL/wip/uav1.png

http://downloads.rkslstudios.info/RKSL/wip/uav2.png

http://downloads.rkslstudios.info/RKSL/wip/uav3.png

http://downloads.rkslstudios.info/RKSL/wip/uav4.png

They arent much more than UNN has already shown but it does illustrate that all the features on the Display do actually work. Its not just set dressing. And unlike the stock BIS UAV interface this allows you to actually lock the cursor then adjust it properly onto target.

The display layout is modelled on a Reaper UAV but in theory you could adapt the layout to any system you like.

Eventually it will be adapted to simulate Laser Targeting pods on RKSL aircraft like the Tornado and Typhoon too.

Sexy work UNN, I know a guy who would love this. ;)

Ok, looks good. Some of the things you say sound interesting to.

Nice work guys.

To add to Rocks post, the black on white and white on black text is there to facilitate the TI modes. From what I've seen (you tube being our only real reference) black or white text is the standard.

Again as Rock mentioned, you can register your own resource (HUD) to use along with two sets of scripts for updating and animating the HUD. The actual turret module is a standalone p3d and can in theory be added to anything. Although the fire mechanism may require some extra work.

But as it stands atm, in SP you can switch between the gunner and pilot and still retain the target. While occupying the turret as a gunner with an AI pilot, the UAV will either follow custom or pre-defined waypoints if set.

In MP you can switch roles by exiting the UAV terminal. Terminals are whatever object you add the user actions to.

There will be an auto pilot feature for mission planning.

AGMs and LGB's are the only weapons currently supported. There will be no dive bombing with AI pilots or gunners.

As far as the HUD info goes, the only static text is "Rate", frequency "1511" and temperature "21 /15c". Frequency will be enabled later on as part of the public server additions. Temperature isn't really relevant atm, and wouldn't add anything significant and probably just over complicating things. Everything else works and serves a purpose to a greater or lesser degree. Who wants target range in Nautical Miles (NM)?

As mentioned, some of it is based on our interpretation of You Tube videos. TWD being a good example. Lacking any better info, this represents the scale or distance covered by the display at the current zoom level. So in the first pic, the width of the displayed terrain is exactly 316m, from left to right.

This project has been on a reluctant hold, for two years :( due to other comittments. Originally we didn't want to post screen shots until it was close to release. But after a two year delay, knowing people are still interested in this, does help spur us on. So please forgive us if we don't release anything just yet.

Good luck on this one fellas, seems you have been watching the right you tubevideos.

Spot on.

TWD being a good example. Lacking any better info, this represents the scale or distance covered by the display at the current zoom level.

Here I was, hoping that TWD was Trans-Warp Drive. :(

Looks great mate. Should be a fantastic addition to the game.

Very nice indeed, I've been quite a fan of the bis uavs and this brings things to another level

A dynamic view distance script for the controller would be a rather nifty touch

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

A dynamic view distance script for the controller would be a rather nifty touch

What did you have in mind? View distances aren't something I really have to worry about. So I'm not really sure of the advantages. I guess you mean the further you zoom in, the higher the view distance?

Although that wouldn't help much with the object draw distance would it?

And now for something completely different...

13IxQOcSjTw

And now for something completely different...

Is it a bird? Is it a Plane? .......

Nah, we already know that's the Bird of Prey's cockpit:

Rock wouldn't be so cryptic if it was something we've already seen.

Bah: the man himself got there first.

-

Looks like some sort of UCAV to me but I'm not sure which one. Of the UCAVs I'm familiar with, it looks most like the Northrop X-47B.