Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios - WIP Discussion

WIP Wednesdays

Week 12 - March 22nd 2013 - Headsets and Bath toys. < NEW

Apologies again for a late one. Its been difficult to get free time to write this week. I've got a lot on. Earlier in the week I managed to kill my backup-backup headset. I managed to stretch the cable so much it broke. Something I confess I seem to do rather alot...Quite a lot has been going on in RKSL, IAP and the community since the release of the ArmA3 alpha. Predictably the new game has jumped into the forefront of everyone's mind. With literally hundreds of new user made missions appearing and everyone rushing to port their content forward....

wk12-th.jpg

Week 11 WIP Wednesday - It's all in the (level of) detail

Week 10 WIP Wednesday - Sorry We're closed

Week 09 WIP Wednesday - I can see Uranus

Week 08 WIP Wednesday - Baked Barracuda

Week 07 WIP Wednesday - Who ordered Chinese?

Week 06 WIP Wednesday - Coming Soon - Part Deux

Week 05 WIP Wednesday - Coming Soon

Week 04 WIP Wednesday - Online at last... lets hope it lasts.

Week 03 WIP Wednesday - PC Drama cut Rock off.

Week 02 WIP Wednesday - Foxy Lady - Foxhound update

Week 01 WIP Wednesday - Whoops I forgot it was wednesday - Rock's hangover gets the better of him

Week 52 WIP Wednesday - Twas the Night after Christmas - The Que... Rock's Christmas Message

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Stuff like this, I recognize is headed for Arma 2 before Arma 3, but the idea of an expanded surface naval implementation is why I'm so hyped for Arma 3, and your Ambassador III is the highlight symbol of that!

Rock. Ref your connection issues, get the fuck away from BT. They will find any little niggling technical glitch and deliver it to you for your monthly fee, their internet service is an added extra...

...and like all extras its not very good.

Also, lovely boat!

love the boat rock and looking forward to the tornado another top plane :) great work as always

WIP Wednesdays

Week 14 - April 3rd 2013 - Staying Inside < NEW

"Returning to normal scheduling this week, with a yet another quick update on the Foxhound (I'm sick to the back teeth of not being able to show you her ingame at this point in time). She has made a few tentative steps in the ArmA world, but my laptop isn't really capable of showcasing her in all her glory, so you'll have to wait till it's at an alpha stage and someone at RKSL with a better PC can take some screenshots. ..."

fox_int_wip_1_bis.jpg]

Week 13 WIP Wednesday - Postponed

Week 12 WIP Wednesday - Headsets and Bath toys

Week 10 WIP Wednesday - Sorry, we're closed

Week 04 WIP Wednesday - Online at last... lets hope it lasts

Week 01 WIP Wednesday - Whoops I forgot it was wednesday - Rock's hangover gets the better of him

Week 52 WIP Wednesday - Twas the Night after Christmas - The Que... Rock's Christmas Message

So the traditional Lilt can is going to make an appearance! It is looking awesome Messiah, well done.

Well, tradition has it that it should be placed in a Land Rover, but doubt I'll be making those again - Foxhound will have to do :)

That's shaping up nicely there Messiah. Love the huge amount of details you've put into it!

That's quite a lovely looking interior. :)

Abs

WIP Wednesdays

Week 15 - April 11rd 2013 - Birds, Boats and Fire Extinguishers < NEW

"Ok so yet again I'm late getting this out. Largely due to the fact that I've just not been too organised this last week or so. I'm going to blame the pain killers im on for the moment (nerve pain in my right leg) but really its more that I was having a "I can't really be arsed day" on Wednesday..."

Messiah has had some impressive successes with the Foxhound this week. Da12th has made some spanking new custom anims for it too. And let me tell you it looks soooo good in ArmA2. The ArmA3 version, with all the working displays, mirrors etc is going to be so very cool. CBFASI has been making ships again for IAP. Giving the ASA some much needed amphibious capability. But the lack of PhysX and a fully capable game engine in ArmA3-Alpha's current build is going to make some of our plans a bit more difficult to realise for a while. Meanwhile I've been odd jobbing. Picking up little easy to fix jobs and the odd bit of planning. But I've spent most of my free time upgrading the CVF (Queen Elizabeth class) Carrier.

wk15_006.jpg

Week 14 WIP Wednesday - Staying Inside - Foxhound Update

Nice work there :)

There is enough planes in that carrier to destroy the whole armaverse:P

Lookin' sweet, is that a hangar deck for the IAP version of the CVF?

Nice work there :)

There is enough planes in that carrier to destroy the whole armaverse:P

Wait until you see the OPFOR! They need that many planes :P

Lookin' sweet, is that a hangar deck for the IAP version of the CVF?

I'm not sure what you mean by the IAP Version. The CVF is going to be for the UK Armed Forces Faction we're building.

The IAP-UKAF campaign will eventually/hopefully feature the CVF and a few other ships. But the IAP OPFOR, the ASA dont have aircraft carriers as such...<den-den-daaaaaaa>

I'm left wondering admittedly if that's a "walkable" interior deck, i.e. being able to hold firefights in there. :p But then again I hope that I've been clear about my interest in the maritime aspect of A2/OA/A3 simulation?

I'm left wondering admittedly if that's a "walkable" interior deck, i.e. being able to hold firefights in there. :p But then again I hope that I've been clear about my interest in the maritime aspect of A2/OA/A3 simulation?

Oh yeah its walkable. You can use the Lifts to move planes up and down. There are also ladders and gangways.

I'm not sure about AI use... at least walking around, I will add roadways and paths but its made up of multiple sections so Im unsure how they would transition between sections. Thats something we'll need to test.

Sounds good to me; I'm aware that the VBS2 Type 45 (152.4 m, so approximately just over two and a half times the maximum A2 geometry envelope?) is walkable both externally and internally, with "the hangar, the bridge and a control room" all modeled, but then again this official BISim document mentioned that the RN and RAN contracted BI/BISim to develop maritime enhancements such as these ("due to be released into the VBS2 baseline in VBS2 v1.61") including "Increased limits on model size, allowing easier creation of large ships" (plus increased vertex count limits per model), the ability of characters ("avatars") to move about even on a moving ship, and characters being able to move through ship interiors below the waterline, and I'm not sure how many of these three changes -- increased model size limit (increased geometry envelope limit?), characters moving about on moving ships, and characters moving through ship interiors below the waterline -- were 'rolled over' into Arma 3.

Sounds good to me; I'm aware that the VBS2 Type 45 (152.4 m, so approximately just over two and a half times the maximum A2 geometry envelope?) is walkable both externally and internally, with "the hangar, the bridge and a control room" all modeled,

That's largely the same as I am planning to do. The Hanger deck and several other areas below the flight deck will be accessible. Access from the water at the rear of the ship is possible by the stairs and plinth they made there. I have some indication of the internal layout from a cutaway drawing in the Navy news but I'm not going to try to hard to make it too accurate other than the key areas. The Bridge and FlyCo will be accessible as will some of the weapon storage areas via corridors or ladders.

My concern is that in the A2 engine there is a technical bug about placing two or more roadways above each other. The AI tend to behave oddly and the setpos command (used for placing AI and objects on or in the ship) behaves very oddly often with unpredictable results. Again how extensive the interior will be will ultimately depended on what the game engine can cope with. I'm hoping that ArmA3 and PhysX will make it all a bit more practical.

but then again this official BISim document mentioned that the RN and RAN contracted BI/BISim to develop maritime enhancements such as these ("due to be released into the VBS2 baseline in VBS2 v1.61") including "Increased limits on model size, allowing easier creation of large ships" (plus increased vertex count limits per model), the ability of characters ("avatars") to move about even on a moving ship, and characters being able to move through ship interiors below the waterline, and I'm not sure how many of these three changes -- increased model size limit (increased geometry envelope limit?), characters moving about on moving ships, and characters moving through ship interiors below the waterline -- were 'rolled over' into Arma 3.

It would be nice if BI did port the feature set. Especially the ShipX class and feature set. And the increased Geometry envelope. but I'm not going to build my hopes on it. Its often not as easy to port a feature over as you might think.

Eitherway right now its too early to say but trust me I will be happy to back anything that improves ships and ai use.

FlyCo?

The Maritime Discussion Paper actually mentions lack of interior movement below the waterline and inability to move around on transiting ships as opposed to static ships as specific deficiencies/limitations about VBS2's maritime simulation as of late 2010, so the correction seems to have been between then and the beginning of 2012. My interest in those changes and the increased model size limit mentioned stems from these contracted improvements serving as proof that these are possible in RV2 and presumably carried over to RV3 with VBS2 2.0, and implemented at some point before or during early Arma 3 development (when it looked much more like an Arma 2 rehash), hence my wondering what maritime simulation improvements were rolled over into RV4, though you seem to be working with the Arma 2 version of RV3's limitations in mind.

By the way, I have no idea if you're planning to do any "authentic" modeling and walkability for the Ambassador Mk III (that is, simulating it as an environment for characters) or if it's planned to "purely" be simulated on a vessel (vs. vessel) level, but I had an idea for a maritime mission which I'd like to PM you about, I suppose that I'm wondering whether your intended Ambassador Mk III would be compatible, but the basic idea as far as any ship interior would be "on-ship Sector Control within a moving vessel" (which I imagine is the point of a ship fitting within the maximum geometry envelope).

FlyCo?

Flight Control. On the CVF its the rear super structure with the "glass bubble"

The Maritime Discussion Paper actually mentions lack of interior movement below the waterline and inability to move around on transiting ships as opposed to static ships as specific deficiencies/limitations about VBS2's maritime simulation as of late 2010, so the correction seems to have been between then and the beginning of 2012. My interest in those changes and the increased model size limit mentioned stems from these contracted improvements serving as proof that these are possible in RV2 and presumably carried over to RV3 with VBS2 2.0, and implemented at some point before or during early Arma 3 development (when it looked much more like an Arma 2 rehash), hence my wondering what maritime simulation improvements were rolled over into RV4, though you seem to be working with the Arma 2 version of RV3's limitations in mind.

Right now I'm just continuing in a stable environment (ArmA2). The ArmA3 engine is incomplete in so many areas at this time. In my opinion so its almost pointless to try to develop a proper solution in that environment. I'm running on the assumption that if we can get it working in ArmA2 then byt the time ArmA3 matures enough to be practical it wont take us too much work to breing it up to scratch in the new game.

By the way, I have no idea if you're planning to do any "authentic" modeling and walkability for the Ambassador Mk III (that is, simulating it as an environment for characters) or if it's planned to "purely" be simulated on a vessel (vs. vessel) level, but I had an idea for a maritime mission which I'd like to PM you about, I suppose that I'm wondering whether your intended Ambassador Mk III would be compatible, but the basic idea as far as any ship interior would be "on-ship Sector Control within a moving vessel" (which I imagine is the point of a ship fitting within the maximum geometry envelope).

I've been thinking about this. Initially the Ambassador III will really just a ship, no walkable bits. Inreality there is very little practical space to walk on so I'm not really sure its worth the effort. It will have an interior but only for the crew views, CIC, Bridge etc. I've got your PM. I'll drop you a reply tomorrow night.

Oh damn i love those ships! Can't wait to use the high tech missile to blow up enemys in 30km distance ^^

Im really curious how the physics will affect this.

So am I! But going of the videos of VBS2 ships with PhysX its should be quite good. They seem to provide a far more reliable platform to use. the problem - at least as i understand it - is that all the objects you use on the ships must be PhysX enabled too.

But that is in VBS2 and PhysX v2. ArmA3 appears to be slightly different in its implementation of PhysX v3. We'll have to wait for the new tools before getting too excited to be sure.

SO we'll be able to move while having the aircraft and players not fall off in theory?

SO we'll be able to move while having the aircraft and players not fall off in theory?

In theory yes. But, going off VBS2's PhysX there are still some limits and pretty odd AI issues. :)

---------- Post added at 16:02 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

WIP Wednesdays

Week 16 - April 17th 2013 - Lights, Power, Action... Foxhound in game! < NEW

Its been another busy week for the team. So much so that i'm really not able to do it all justice in a quick wip report. So I'm not really going to try. I'm just going to pick out some of the visually more interesting things.

wk15-splash.jpg

Week 15 WIP Wednesday - Birds, Boats and Fire Extinguishers

Week 14 WIP Wednesday - Staying Inside - Foxhound Update