Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios - WIP Discussion

already modeled and hidden inside ;) (even though that was strictly a land rover thing in a nod to deliltmon who first made them)

Hidden! A challenge eh?!

Nice to see you back around these parts anyway and your Foxhound (not a euphemism, I swear) looks beautiful.

Well currently its just on the dash, but aiming to move it once I've completed the rest of the interior. Thanks Pry, good to see some old faces still around too, and glad you like it, fun little vehicle to get to grips with :)

WIP Wednesdays

Week 27 WIP Wednesday - Rapier Wit... or not < NEW

Two sets of news this week, first more team news: Bennehboy and Da12thmonkey have joined the team. Benneh is an old friend and Da12thmonkey's knowledge is invaluable to both us and the UKAF Collection team so I slapped some tags on them and set them to work. :D

Second, I've had something of an Olympic themed week. I've been taking a bit of time off last weekend, going to see one of my oldest friends run with the Olympic flame on Saturday in Lichfield. Then we've had all the uproar in the press about the siting of Surface to Air Missiles around the London Olympic site so I though it might be topical top show you some Rapiers.

Rapier-FCS-System-Prev_004.jpg

Week 26 WIP Wednesday - Release the hounds

Week 25 WIP Wednesday - E3, RTT, RWS

Week 24 WIP Wednesday - Talking Tyffs Part3 - Plugins

Week 23 WIP Wednesday - Talking Tyffs Part2 - Cockpit Video and Voice over

Week 22 WIP Wednesday - Triffids, FSM, Pandas and the Website. - Website news and not much else.

Week 21 WIP Wednesday - Carrier Country - UK Mod - All change. C to B and CVFs.

Week 20 WIP Wednesday - Class MFD, Blood, and Close Protection duty.

Week 19 WIP Wednesday - UAVs, a Gorilla, a box and a Wet Tesco bag.

Week 18 WIP Wednesday - CBF Shipbuilding and its role

Week 17 WIP Wednesday - He's not THE Messiah he's a very naughty boy!

Week 16 WIP Wednesday - Projects that time forgot

Week 15 WIP Wednesday - Typhoon update click here.

Week 14 WIP Wednesday - Modeling and the F-35C.

Week 13 WIP Wednesday - Challenger 2.

Wonderful work Rock & RKSL crew as always.

Now all we need is a London island, security fencing,some protesting cockney unit models and we could have some great fun with crowd control ArmA2 style.

Great work, about time we had something a bit scarier than Stingers to shoot at OPFOR.

I apologize if this has already been asked, but are there any plans to replicate any of the features of the F-35's EODAS system? I imagine the limits of the ArmA2 engine may prevent this, but if not, it would be very impressive.

Great work, about time we had something a bit scarier than Stingers to shoot at OPFOR.

I apologize if this has already been asked, but are there any plans to replicate any of the features of the F-35's EODAS system? I imagine the limits of the ArmA2 engine may prevent this, but if not, it would be very impressive.

You guessed right about the ArmA2 engine limits. The EODAS & EOTS depends on a lot of different sensor types combined on both the Main panel in the cockpit and the Helmet mounted display. Radar, RWR, Thermal, Link16 data, IRST, Targeting Pods/feeds etc all combine to create the displays. Its virtually impossible to do all this in ArmA2 without heavy scripting and we dont have the time to do it right now, things like:

• Combining a thermal image over the pilots point of view and switching through modes such as split screen from weapon optics (essentially Picture in Picture) and still remain in control of the aircraft.
  • The ability to look "through" the aircraft using the sensor feeds and provide realistic targeting overlays
    • Eg Threat warning markers
    • Missile tracking
    • IFF
    • Waypoints/Nav markers etc (inc altitude)
    • Initial, Release, exfil way points types

[*]Practical radar. The current system in OA/CO is optimised for ground use only. It does not show give you the correct info for planes. If the target is 3km away infront of you at the same altitude, fine. But if it is actually 3km above you its still shown as being 3km ahead of you.

[*]Ability to guide weapons using the HMD (Look and shoot) capability

Vanilla ArmA2/OA with limited scripting definitely cant replicate all of this and I suspect vanilla ArmA3 wont be able to either. As I said earlier, at least not without some serious scripting. I know Mando's does feature some of these but implementing Mandos missiles also create problems with other scripted systems and I don't like having to be dependent on other for fixes. My current plan, which changes almost every day atm, is to release the F-35C as a "normal" RKSL plane ie about the same level of functionality as the v2.X Typhoon. Once ArmA3 comes along and we can get a handle on what is actually practical, then we'll have a re think.

really nice work your putting in to that m8.. very nice

WIP Wednesdays

Week 30 WIP Wednesday - Tempting Fate, AW159 and Bed baths < NEW

Have you ever had someone say "Don't tempt fate", ignored their advice and then lived to regret it? Guess where I am...that is right, hospital. ;)

I tempted fate with last week's final "I'll probably be dead by lunch time with my luck." comment. I so wish I'd kept my big gob shut. I'm not going to go into details as to why I'm here but it is personal, unpleasant and i'm in the market for a comfortable rubber ring. Lets leave it there. 8-)

Moving swiftly on... due to unforeseen circumstances...

rksl_aw159_1.jpg

Week 29 WIP Wednesday - The Dog ate my homework...honest! - Excuses excuses.

Week 28 WIP Wednesday - 404 Not Found - Excuses excuses.

Week 27 WIP Wednesday - Rapier Wit... or not - UK GBAD System

Week 26 WIP Wednesday - Release the hounds - Messiahs new Foxhound model

Week 22 WIP Wednesday - Triffids, FSM, Pandas and the Website. - Website news and not much else.

Student nurses are always the best :D

In terms of looks :p

Wish that nurse "good luck" from me...for giving you a bath! ;)

Models are looking great, as always! Can't wait to see that Iveco completed. :)

Abs

Cheers guys. Im back home safe and sound. Firmly enthroned on my rubber ring of choice.

I do have some bad news. Horrific really, I'm officially twice the age of 'the student nurse' and her mother is an old friend. Life is just too freaking cruel. :( Onwards and upwards...or maybe not Im 40 in 36 days so its all down hill soon...

Edited by RKSL-Rock

What you talking about down hill soon , when i was 40 ,than i start living my life and is still great :)

Your models are stills good buddy , oh how is with the F-16 , still any update on that ?

cya

eddyD

:( Onwards and upwards...or maybe not Im 40 in 36 days so its all down hill soon...

Hey you know 40 is the new 30, at least thats what I tell myself when I roll out out bed of morn :P. Realy enjoying your weely updates Rock, so much stuff to look forward to.

WIP Wednesdays

Week 31 WIP Wednesday - "Be a MAN my son..." < NEW

In the UKAF forums this week we've been having a bit of a debate about what to make for the UK Faction. Mainly about whats practical, you know the sort of thing. It looks so cool and interesting you really want to see it rolling around. But once you make the model is it any use in game? Can you get excavators to dig stuff up? Can you get cranes to work? Hovercraft? Making the model is, 'pretty easy' compared to making it perform how it should in the real world in game.

So because of all this I've been looking at projects from a different point of view recently. I've been trying to prioritise projects that we can release and later upgrade and add functionality to as we go along without having to remake too much. Stuff that adds to the game too. So we have a base model with several derivatives. The first of these is the MAN HX series of Trucks. The textures are horrible and don't even mention the wheels! :oops:

rksl_man_hx60_001.jpg

Week 30 WIP Wednesday - Tempting Fate, AW159 and Bed baths - Hospital, Helicopters and Student Nurses

Week 29 WIP Wednesday - The Dog ate my homework...honest! - Excuses excuses.

Week 28 WIP Wednesday - 404 Not Found - Excuses excuses.

Week 27 WIP Wednesday - Rapier Wit... or not - UK GBAD System

Week 26 WIP Wednesday - Release the hounds - Messiahs new Foxhound model

Edited by [FRL]Myke

is that a hot rod? ;)

nice looking.....man...... you have there......

you sure know how to handle your man.......

is that a hot rod? ;)

nice looking.....man...... you have there......

you sure know how to handle your man.......

Is that a closet i hear you coming out of...? :rolleyes:

Rock, please check the main link in your last WIP Wednesday post, something seems to be screwed up.

Nvm, fixed it for you. ;)

Myke;2199400']Rock' date=' please check the main link in your last WIP Wednesday post, something seems to be screwed up.[/s']

Nvm, fixed it for you. ;)

Thanks!

The first of these is the MAN HX series of Trucks.

Excellent. How easy is it to make the 6x6 and 8x8 versions from this? I suspect it's a non-trivial task.

Excellent. How easy is it to make the 6x6 and 8x8 versions from this? I suspect it's a non-trivial task.

Actually for the HX not too hard. Extend the chassis a bit and make the axle carrier, then its copy and paste time.

man_hx_chassis.jpg

Cool. From that pic, it seems the rear axle pair is more of a bogey than two independent axles.

Cool. From that pic, it seems the rear axle pair is more of a bogey than two independent axles.

Yeah. but it wouldn't be too hard to do. The SX has fully independent suspension and a slightly different cab and aux configuration.