Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios - WIP Discussion

Warthog doesn't float in practice; the original 'Bronco' does, but not with all the modifications we made to produce the Warthog derivative. So as-is, they'd be sod-all use to the RM for what Viking is supposed to be used for. They're also a bit of a nightmare to operate, especially with the limited amount of integrated support they have compared to Viking (because they're a UOR). They do have their advantages over Viking (you're probably less likely to die in one for starters), but I given the choice I think the RM would probably prefer to stick with Viking. All the Vikings in Afghanistan were from the existing RM fleet, and were being used out there even if Marines weren't deployed on Op. Herrick.

Buying new vehicles and getting the Army's heavy cavalry regiments to operate them was the most efficient way to meet the long-term requirement for highly-mobile armoured vehicles: It stopped the RM getting pissed off by the CDS/MoD (or whoever is in charge of the overall UK strategy in Afghanistan), giving their only armoured vehicles away to other units, and leaving them with a reduced fleet for their own amphib requirements (particularly since a lot of their precious Vikings were getting blown-up or going BER by other means). The RAC also has a lot of people trained to drive heavy, tracked metal (a lot more than 3 Cdo. has trained Viking crews) but there are no CR2s on operations, so they were a more flexible commodity when given free-reign over the vehicles without having to drawn on elements of a smaller RM unit every troop rotation.

The RM's Vikings will apparently be upgraded with Mk.2s for free, because of the vehicles/parts we're giving to Sweden to meet their UOR for BVS-10s.

Edited by da12thMonkey

They're also a bit of a nightmare to operate

Understatement of the year right there. Having to strip out almost the entire interior to be able to do any meaningful work on the engines is not what I would call "user friendly" design.

They do have their advantages over Viking (you're probably less likely to die in one for starters)

Last I heard, they offer little, if any, advance in protection against mine/IED strike. They've got more armour on the cabin sides, but are still flat-bottomed and not really much improvement over Viking.

Very interesting reading, but I have to pick you up on your use of "Heavy Cav" da12thMonkey. RTR are not Heavy Cav and have done more than their share with providing crews. RAC are not just Cav. Lest we forget (and you won't have a chance me around mate).

I thought I hadn’t seen him for a while. Well Rob gave me permission to use and abuse the sound expansion he made for our Typhoon. I was planning on giving him a nudge and asking if he was ok with me reusing some bits on other RKSL projects. I just haven’t gotten around to doing anything about it yet.

I will sue you for all you're worth! :D

Of course I'm kidding. I have departed and someone informed me today you wanted to use them... Feel free.

You need any files... PM me on here, not that I'm available much these days.

Rex

Quick News update:

1. The RKSL Public forums are back! http://forums.rkslstudios.info Obviously not exactly overflowing with content but we're getting there.
  2. We have new team members! Messiah (ex UKF) and CBFASI (ex FLK) have joined us to make some new content.

Thats all for now. The website is getting closer :)

Edited by RKSL-Rock

I'm glad to hear you've got more help! It's almost reminiscent of the large addon making teams of old!

Can't wait to see all the quality addons you lot produce. :)

Abs

CBFASI (ex FLK) have joined us to make some new content.

Thats the public comment .... the fact that Rock and I have been in discussion, and I have been doing odd bits, but rather slowly since FLK days means I never really left...

(I miss the old days when players used addons cos there was nothing better, instead of complaining about every little detail, definately deters me a bit....)

(I miss the old days when players used addons cos there was nothing better, instead of complaining about every little detail, definately deters me a bit....)

I would hope that we all get cold feet every now and then, I know I do when I see the quality of the other stuff being produced.

I'm glad to see your good self and Messiah just 'can't let it alone'.:)

As the saying goes - Keep calm and carry on - in theory at least we can only get better at it!

Thats the public comment .... the fact that Rock and I have been in discussion, and I have been doing odd bits, but rather slowly since FLK days means I never really left...

OK perhaps I should say "Formerly announce CBFASI' continued participation in RKSL" ;)

---------- Post added at 00:24 ---------- Previous post was at 00:23 ----------

I would hope that we all get cold feet every now and then, I know I do when I see the quality of the other stuff being produced.

Well your Bulldog gave me a nice kick in the pants. I'm looking forward to seeing whats next!

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Nice to see the new Challenger on the go!

With regards to the ACE side of things with UKFCR2, in reality it was only originally intended as an ACE upgrade package for VCB Ops that may necessitate it (integrating kit like the rangefinders and getting other OA/ACE features integrated); just so happens that it snowballed in to some model improvements that had been going on aside from the work I was up to and word got out: People were clamouring for it and it got a quick release that didn't really do it justice in terms of options and compatibility (I had developed a non-ace config that didn't seem to be included in the final cut). Oh well, better that people can use it than nout, as it wasn't getting much touch in a light infantry platoon!

...With regards to the ACE side of things with UKFCR2, in reality it was only originally intended as an ACE upgrade package for VCB Ops that may necessitate it (integrating kit like the rangefinders and getting other OA/ACE features integrated); just so happens that it snowballed in to some model improvements that had been going on aside from the work I was up to and word got out: People were clamouring for it and it got a quick release that didn't really do it justice in terms of options and compatibility (I had developed a non-ace config that didn't seem to be included in the final cut). Oh well, better that people can use it than nout, as it wasn't getting much touch in a light infantry platoon!

Well that wasnt the version of events that i got. I believe DK did most of the work and fixes but hey as long as you contributed in some way. :p

Some people can use it, yes. But it left a lot of others disappointed. Shame the ACE requirement wasn't mentioned up front.

Friday sounds like a good day for a WIP update. ;)

rock fridays? ;)

I was going for "WIP Wednesdays".

Fridays will forever be Footmuch Fridays. Best not to mess with a classic.

Need to find a day to rhyme with "Release" now...?

sunday-monday happy (release)days? :D

sunday-monday happy (release)days? :D

You're showing your age with that mate ;)

Lol... damn, almost had my coffee go down the wrong wind pipe. Sigh... I realize I'm getting old.

... Sigh... I realize I'm getting old.

You're not alone!

How many wind pipes do you have?

Paul, stop being pedantic you old goat. You're only jealous because hes (probably) younger than you! :o

(Although, who isn't :P)