Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

Sands - 41km Desert Terrain

(I know there are only 2 runway head in the editor :S or maybe don't use the numbers... :butbut:)

lol .... well the runways look shyt without heads & tails and I have had no plans to make new heads and tails textures/addons for this terrain.

Maybe in beta # 124 ;)

@Stalker15

Not enough information. No one else has reported a problem.

What does your arma2.RPT file say was the error?

File typically found;

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA 2

Gnat;1503285']lol .... well the runways look shyt without heads & tails and I have had no plans to make new heads and tails textures/addons for this terrain.

Maybe in beta # 124 ;)

:eek: asd

I used "runway_beton" to simulate the 2 stopways

(STOPWAY- An area beyond the takeoff runway no less wide than the runway and centered upon the extended centerline of the runway' date=' able to support the airplane during an aborted takeoff, without causing structural damage to the airplane, ... [url']http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/unusual-attitude/Emirates%20tailstrike%201.JPG[/url]

)

so I don't used the runways heads:

http://img230.imageshack.us/i/arma22009120215183490.jpg/

http://img137.imageshack.us/i/arma22009120215222943.jpg/

If we take, for example, the 4 airports (without the central one) the directions of runways are:

-36°; 18°

-27°; 09° http://img4.imageshack.us/i/arma22009120215491931.jpg/

in ArmA I there are the runways number 27 and 09 (you can find them in Panthera Island for ArmA II o in Sahrani) so you don't have to make theese... only, if you want, the 36 and 18.

I want give you a hand with this work but unfortunately I don't know anything about visitor 3 and pbo files!

ah for the central airport you need 06° and 24° heads... :icon16:

I think this map is very beautiful with or without the right runways' heads but if you make them it's more realistic!

:rolleyes:

however thank you for :icon_dj: map!

Gnat, could you please release a basically unpopulated version of the map, too? Ie. one with no buildings or anything else.

It would be great for generic desert missions, cut-scenes/movies etc. I plan to use your map for a "flashback twenty tears" type mission in a campaign, perhaps with some custom buildings and stuff. It would be helpful if I could just build the scenery for the parts I need into the empty map, then use your final map as a "modern" version of the same places in a later cut-scene.

This ofcourse if it's not too much hassle :)

for some reason whenever the c-130's (with AI pilots) take off from the airports they don't gain enough altitude and their wing tips hit the ground shortly after getting into the air, causing the aircraft to explode.

Search the forums for my C130 fix / download.

It fixes the turning circle & take-off problem you mentioned.

wow looks great, been looking for a massive desert map.

Gah cant get it to download, stupid college internet...

I would say pines would be a poor choice for this map as I dont think they are very common for middle eastern deserts..... Small shrubbery would be a better choice for this map I feel. A few small settlements around would be nice for infantry and a few roads around vor vehicle convoys and the such. Just my opinion. Thanks for this great map so far gnat!

Hi GNAT;

I have Arma2 OA and was trying to create a WF mission with the GITA for cities and for some reason I cannot get AI units or my driver to move to waypoints. I can only make my driver move using the W<A<S<D keys. Great looking map by the way. I always liked your creations. This wiould be an awesome map for Desert warfare using the Town creator.

Thanks for the report mcnally. When I finally get back to my editing computer Ill investigate. (weeks)

Hi GNAT;

I had my units setup too close to the edge of the map I guess. I moved them to the SW Airport and they now move. Thanks

gnat this map is brilliant. I think you should include a road system with small settlements on it and some compounds sort of like in Afghanistan. btw this map is excellent for flyin.

gnat this map is brilliant. I think you should include a road system with small settlements on it and some compounds sort of like in Afghanistan. btw this map is excellent for flyin.

Roads agree'd, as for settlements, in OA why not use the settlment moduel, works well. :)

As for you you Gnat, daaaam fine work

Regards Jeza

Roads agree'd, as for settlements, in OA why not use the settlment moduel, works well. :)

Yes, that was the plan when I saw the first OA pictures posted by bis many months ago. OA content fits perfect.

Thanks guys.

How about you make this something like a military bombing/gunnery practice range, meaning only military (plywood houses etc.) settlements and only dirt roads? That would be a cool atmosphere :) .

Gnat;1703246']lol ... yeh' date=' and a 1950's atomic test village ;)[/quote']

With billboards with phrases like "The Car of Tomorrow" :p

sarcasm? :confused:

No!

Your suggesting just made me think of my idea.

@Big Mac

Yep .... a period piece ;)

Gnat;1703303']No!

Your suggesting just made me think of my idea.

@Big Mac

Yep .... a period piece ;)

Oh, cool! :p It would be fun to destroy buildings epically with HE artillery and, of course, NUKES!!

:coop:

The map is empty, but heck, somehow I manage to have fun it, it's very good when you want to train flying, hope the desert gets a bit more detailed with OA stuff.

... hope the desert gets a bit more detailed with OA stuff.

Thats the plan, but not too much otherwise it'll be too laggy, and will move away from the primary role of the terrain being more a "War waged from the Air" location.