Sign in to follow this  
Solus

"Ragdoll" falling from buildings

Here's an addon I was working on:

Version 2: http://www.filefront.com/14569283/SLX_RagDoll.pbo

Armaholic mirror:

- Ragdoll

ArmedAssault.info mirror: http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=addons&id=1070

It makes bodies attach to a physics object and fall down if they are above the ground, and then removes the object when they come to a stop. This is to reduce situations where people are sticking out over the sides of ledges. It's not actually "ragdoll" physics, just a rigid body physics simulation. There didn't seem to be any serious bugs when testing it, and it should work independently of other SLX addons. It may need an update for MP which will come soon after someone can test it out in MP.

Edited by Solus

Wow, that sounds interesting.

First bugreport:

No other SLX-addons installed, and on entering the main menu this pops up:

Cannot load texture slx_wounds\data\ambulance_move.paa

It's pretty cool. There's a weird grey texture the encompasses the falling soldier, kinda looks like a weight to take him down. Works better on some structures than others, but on the radio tower, the soldier would drop, then reset his position higher in the air to drop again.

Very promising though.:)

Any chance you could fix the vanilla 'getting injured from relatively small drop" bug?

Very nice. I love killing a soldier on top of the radio tower then seeing him fall onto the sloped glass and slide down to the ledge below. Would it be possible to do this for steep slopes? I find it hard to believe a body would "clamp" to a 45 degree angle. Good job, Solus!

Wow, haven't tried it out yet, but going to. Ragdoll is one of the few little touches that would make ARMA2 feel so much more modern.

It's a nice thing, but i won't use it right now because when a body goes into "ragdoll" there's a huge gra\ey thing connected with it

yay You made me register.

Addon idea is great

Addon itself has 2 little, already mentioned problems:

1)

Cannot load texture slx_wounds\data\ambulance_move.paa

2) Grey "thingy" inside soldier (that thing that makes bodies drop and stuff)

Remove error and make grey thingy invisible and it's gonna rock the world.

(I think I can make my group test it in MP)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF1yf2hNYtY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF1yf2hNYtY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

my initial reaction when testing this with some ground fighting with some infantery squads was that I didn't notice the difference, until I played around with grenades and stuff :D

Then it was more noticeable that grenades could bounce away like a ball thrown against a pavement :)

thx for the update btw!

Then it was more noticeable that grenades could bounce away like a ball thrown against a pavement.

Umm no mate. That is just ARMA2. Ticket made for bouncing grenades on pavement @ DevHeaven. :)

Or maybe they bounce even more with this addon?

Alex

Does this work in MP ? I think synchronising was the issue with ragdoll physics....

As usual SOLUS surprises us with a real innovation, thanks once again for your work

Ii is not really Ragdoll, but a smart workaraound actually.