Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

Problem with background picture

For some weird reason I can't get a background picture to display/overlay the terrain display in Visitor

- Its a BMP file of the texture terrain

- select Background Images in the dropdown box

- call it X1 or something

- selecy the BMP file (in source directory also)

- leave X n Y as 0 0

- increase length and hieght to various values (less than total width)

- play with various values of Transparent

I get a clear hashed area on Visitor, but it doesnt seem to matter if I toggle the "BK" button or not, I still get nothing displayed .....

Should be simple! What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Well usually i have my background pics always in the same resolution as my sat_lco. I just put them in a Photoshop-layer, resize them, drag them till i fits and then save that layer as whateveryoulike.bmp.

This always worked for me...

I hope that helped

I have asked it before too, nobody replied.

For visitor 2 it worked, in visitor 3 it don't.

Edit in 3d, place stuff in 2d, life is a bittch.

Later,

Allie

It works, be sure you use 32 bit bmp and the bmp needs to be in your /source foldier

Edited by Atsche

i cant seem to load the bmp? is there a drop down list to import the background ? it works fine with the samplemap2 ..........thanks if u could help

Edited by plumose 219

@ plumose: The dropdown is in the window where you can select your objects

@SgtAce: i have 24 bit Bmp, but it seems that you can only have 2 or 3 loaded at a time. If you want to switch you have to delete one and load another one

thats how it works for me so far

@ plumose: The dropdown is in the window where you can select your objects

@SgtAce: i have 24 bit Bmp, but it seems that you can only have 2 or 3 loaded at a time. If you want to switch you have to delete one and load another one

thats how it works for me so far

OK thanks guys, but none of that worked, but I found the issue, that others may also have.

It doesn't like P drive !!

I've had to select the BMP file (24bit, not that it seems to matter I suspect) by NOT using the mapped P drive way of selecting. I've had to go direct to the equivelent C drive location of the BMP and select it there.

Comeon BIS, about time you fixed the buggy bit of software.

i found if u get your background image in ,a mesh comes with it,but if u save it & then go back in v3, the bmp shows up,but dont mess with the opacity,because it gets the mesh back .

What resolution is your bmp file? Not sure of exact figure at which it doesn't work, but for me it seems anything over say 15,000 x 15,000 pixels wont show as a background image. Anything less and its fine, as long as its a multiple of your Sat map. I personally just make the bmp half the size of the Sat_LCO.png.

Just to state it again, i'm not sure of the exact pixel dimensions that it wont work.

Make the width and height the same size as your Sat_LCO.png (this will stretch the bmp to fit the island size, although it will be a bit pixellated but works good as a guide.)

2048x2048 is all I'm trying to use.

Once you avoid using the P drive, all works well.

For some reason it seems to make a copy of your BMP file in the root directory of the project also !?

All in all, somethings a bit screwy

I am sorry for digging this old thread.

But, when i am right it is possible to create a background image in visitor for easier orientation.

I read the visitor manual, but i cant find the button to implement it.

This thread didnt help me out neither, so any hints, where i can import a background image?

edit:

Well....got it...

for everyone havin the same prob

view -> mark "panel of objects"

choose "Background images" from the dropdown menu and choose your background.bmp.

Edited by Nephris1