Sign in to follow this  
shanawa

Searchlight effects go thru hillside. Is there a way to fix that?

The mission that I've been working on for the past 3 weeks is a night mission tho I've been running it with daylight for most of the time. I was running it at night and noticed the grass was lit up like a bright moon glow with my nightvision on and when I turned the corner I saw a big blinding glow.

I took off my nightvision and I still could see the grass and a glow tho nothing was around to cause that. I ran a blank Utes map to make sure and yup its real dark there normally. So I removed all fog and made it clear, deleted a weather module, deleted a light tower that I created light and none of that was it.

Then I found it. A searchlight at a height of 26m is shining 450 meters away through a 40m tall hillside.

Is there a way to fix this with script or is it a known bug/issue? This is off ver 1.3 btw.

GLOW:

arma2glow.jpg

GRASS:

arma2grass.jpg

MAP:

arma2map.jpg

A related bug report (feature request?) has been posted on the Community Issue Tracker.

Unfortunately Arma2's engine renders the primary light source (sun/moon) quite well, but other light sources are treated in a more simplistic manner. It's been an issue since OFP (which had very crude terrain lighting for secondary light sources), which suggests that it may not be an easy fix.

Edited by ceeeb