Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Island Panthera for ArmA 2

Ice,

Um....could you please load more pics for this island?

I see lots and lots and lots for Lingor, but only one on your site and only one here in this thread for Pantera.

Without opening the map in editor, I can't tell if it's forest, jungle, desert. I know you have a Read Me, but pics would be great......(only a suggestion).

EDIT:

Whoops! My bad. You do have more under MEDIA on your site. Well, maybe a pic or two more here would get mouths running with saliva.

Is the version 2.61 newly released? Or is this an old version?

:confused:

ISLAND PANTHERA FOR ARMA 2

Version: v2.61

Release Date: May 9th, 2010

Official site: http://www.icebreakr.com/islands/

I thought I had done a fly around of this Island but apparently not !!

Major update coming soon. Features:

- much smoother terrain

- new forests

- smoother roads

- reworked Arnoldstein area (airport remains intact to keep the mission makers happy)

- special suprise ;)

Hey Ice, not sure if this has been asked before. What dates provide the longest days? It seems the sun is highest in January... guesing this island is way up North?

hcpookie: to be truthful, never tested. Default date is set to January, but try summer months with time around 1pm. Island is located in EU, so sun should be highest in summer months.

New users will be happy to see a new bigger island not far away from NW shore ;) hope Dayz users can swim or have found some boats =)

In team SBP we confirm that Lesce Airbase will be renovated and constructed in a similiar fashion as RL airport is now done: new asphalt, taxi paths and much more space to accomodate larger planes. New infantry barracks will also be present to provide all necessary for defense of the Valley.

Sketch:

lesce21.png

Major update coming soon. Features:

- smoother roads

Now that, would be nice.;).

All terrain has been smoothed out. Bad road infrastructure still remains, though. I've been trying to make a new highway connecting North and South part of the island, but most of the besttesters were against it, since no-one takes a trip through valleys then :)

There is also a new satellite image in high res and reworked forests that are not so dull anymore. It will be a nice update!

All terrain has been smoothed out. Bad road infrastructure still remains, though. I've been trying to make a new highway connecting North and South part of the island, but most of the besttesters were against it, since no-one takes a trip through valleys then :)

There is also a new satellite image in high res and reworked forests that are not so dull anymore. It will be a nice update!

Looking forward, i loved jumping around your island with a landrover ^^

The question about the highway is if it fits into the setting or not. If you look at Taviana, i think without the highways there would be something critical missing. I think Panthera can live without a highway system. :)

I remember having this debate with a long departed clan mate when we first got Panthera.

You would expect to have a major highway connecting the north and south, but the topography of the island makes it a major engineering project. You might be able to put a major highway in between Trenta and Tolmin without too much blasting of mountains, but it'd hardly be a direct route, not much more convenient than the existing road down the east coast, which incidentally, takes in two major towns on the way.

That said, I disagree with your testers. Players only avoid the valleys because they are so steep, not because they are forced there by the lack of alternative road networks. Unless they're in aircraft, of course. :) If their point was that a major route east of the mountains would spoil the village network centered on Koprivnik, then I'd agree with that.

The thing is, you put a socking great mountain in the middle of an island that is already quite uppy/downy. Not a criticism, just a comment. That rules out any major north south highway. Unless you want to engineer a major subterranean mountain tunnel! :)

Really looking forward to an update of this map - always thought it was one of the most beautiful ones out there. But yes, AI have a hard time manouvering so great if the roads get some attention :-)

New users will be happy to see a new bigger island not far away from NW shore

That will be just awsome, i dont need zoombies even to like it ;)

Release is now planned for first half of next week. I'm still tweaking stuff.

Edit: Beta first with my team.

Edited by IceBreakr

Whoa! I had no idea you were updating Panthera. This is great news. I have been spending too much time on Kickstarter backing games like Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, and Limit Theory. Panthera is without question my favorite map. Cant wait to see the new details and the special surprise :-)

Why not have a coastline road that avoids the mountain question altogether. That would make AI happy and avoid the "mountains are too steep for AI" issue. The Japanese literally build a huge sandbar for that one airport in their harbor... I'm sure the intrepid inhabitants of Panthera could something along the same lines! :)

Quick question regarding server keys: I've installed this map on a dedicated server I run, and copied all files from the serverkey directory into my keys. It appeared that the only key was ibr.bikey. However, I'm still getting kicked on join with errors that I'm using unsigned addons ibr_plants.pbo, ibr_rn.pbo, and panthera2.pbo. Is there another key I'm missing?

kg333: Ok, I will reconsider it with my team and make a decision this week. Thanks.

p.s. send me tips for new roadsign adverts to my mail, see website for address ;)

I hope that surprise is what I think it is :-)

dcal: ouch, sadly not. Weapons for that are still WIP.

Edited by IceBreakr

No problem Ice, I am sure you guys have some great things cooking with that. I am really looking forward to the New Panthera:-)

I've put tremendous amount of hours this week into the update. I'll be beta-testing the map this Thursday (tommorow) with my team. So here's a new feature list:

Fixes

- roads updated

- smoothened out terrain

- hills are not so steep anymore

- improved areas

- Lesce airport is a very large airbase now, runway is longer than on Lingor and Duala maps, hangars are away from the taxiways, so larger planes can now operate from there.

- hangar mlod shadow fix (BIS didn't fix that since A2 release)

- numerous bugfixes

Neue Arnoldstein

I'm happy how a new Arnoldstein turned out. It is located North of the airport now, so the old missions aren't broken. Its the the biggest town on Panthera now, by far. Nearby area features couple of farms.

Drulowka Army Depot

Panthera features a real-life 1:1 (~650x400 m) ammo depot, the one that I served my duty at as an army recruit guard ;) it should be fun for defense missions, just need to make fences on alarm via mission script.

Corruption in Arnoldstein

Mayor Florian Küngler of Arnoldstein will be featured in a MP mission pack I'll release shortly after the map update. He's controlling the town for years. Local newspaper reporter revealed that mayor is in shady business with an nearby island of Maleficio, independent country. He has evidence that Küngler is cooperating with an unknown Malefician general named Adrian.

New Island Maleficio

Maleficio is a small semi-vegetated island with a mountain. Main town is Vatra on NW part. There is a good road infrastructure present as all parts are connected over a mountain pass. There is a town on top with a great food restaurant, overlooking the entire bay. From the terrace you can also see all the way to Arnoldstein on nearby Panthera. Beneath the Inn on SE of island is a small runway (unpaved) for smaller planes only. Population of the island is at ~500.

Government of Maleficio

Island is run by a dictator, army general Adrian. His identity is still a mystery, all we know is that he is hiding and using Regional Commanders (RCs) to keep the island under control. Army has hired guns, mercenaries and there is rumor that Adrian is secretly backed by one of the great military countries.

Tarvisio Treaty/Agreement 2009

No military from Panthera may intervene on island of Maleficio, due to Tarvision Treaty 2009, non-agression pact. Maleficio doesn't allow any touristic visits from Panthera and it seems they don't depend of tourism for their income.

New updates plans:

- add town names roadsigns

- increase polycount of terrain to make it more smooth (fps tests need to be done first)