Sign in to follow this  
Andy455

Help with randomizing locations

Ok so currently I have tried to make my mission more random by making the location of my main objective start in a different location. I have 6 Game Logic - Locations named 'HPos1' - 'HPos 6' and a Heli pad named 'H'.

My current script runs with:

[] exec "hrandom.sqf";

In the init.sqf

This is the hrandom.sqf:

_randomNumber = random 6;

if (_randomNumber > 0 && _randomNumber < 1) then
{
H setPos [getPos HPos1 select 0,getPos HPos1 select 1,0];

if (_randomNumber > 1 && _randomNumber < 2) then
{
H setPos [getPos HPos2 select 0,getPos HPos2 select 1,0];

if (randomNumber > 2 && _randomNumber < 3) then
{
H setPos [getPos HPos3 select 0,getPos HPos3 select 1,0];

if (randomNumber > 3 && _randomNumber < 4) then
{
H setPos [getPos HPos4 select 0,getPos HPos4 select 1,0];

if (randomNumber > 4 && _randomNumber < 5) then
{
H setPos [getPos HPos5 select 0,getPos HPos5 select 1,0];

if (randomNumber > 5 && _randomNumber < 6) then
{
H setPos [getPos HPos6 select 0,getPos HPos6 select 1,0];

};
};
};
};
};
};

This currently does not work as it always places the helipad (and marker ive made to show where it is) at HPos6. Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong or if there is an easier way to do this?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Far too much work perhaps? At least for units you can group then with markers and it'll randomly spawn at one of the markers or it's placed location. That might work with the 'H'?

Couple things jump out at me.

- you don't have any close-brackets like }; for your if statements

- I've noticed that A2 seems to be more sensitive to the lack of parentheses, so, I suggest something like

if ((randomNumber > 5) && (_randomNumber < 6)) then
{
H setPos [(getPos HPos6) select 0,(getPos HPos6) select 1,0];
};

call compile format ["H setPos [(getPos HPos%1 select 0),(getPos HPos%1 select 1),0]",ceil(random 6)];

Erm kylania I'm not sure which type of marker you are talking about but I just trying grouping 2x empty markers to a unit in a new and blank mission. When I spawned I was at the place I place myself in the editor? Is this one of those annoying things that only work if you play the mission from multiplayer or SP scenarios screen?

And to TRexian my parentheses are there they are just at the end, my friend has managed to do it this way and it works for him but I can't talk to him right now.

So if you can specify which markers make it spawn in a different place then please tell me :)

Edit: shk how would I go about implementing that? Could it just go in any trigger / init such as the init.sqf?

Edited by Andy455
Ask shk something

Edit: shk how would I go about implementing that? Could it just go in any trigger / init such as the init.sqf?

It replaces your whole script. So, yeah, you can just run it from init.sqf. However, remember to run it on server only if its a MP mission.

Just a quick somethin to throw in... use execVM for sqf files, not exec.

Ok thanks shk it works :-) I just put in

call compile format ["H setPos [(getPos HPos%1 select 0),(getPos HPos%1 select 1),0]",ceil(random 6)];

into my init.sqf

Erm kylania I'm not sure which type of marker you are talking about but I just trying grouping 2x empty markers to a unit in a new and blank mission. When I spawned I was at the place I place myself in the editor? Is this one of those annoying things that only work if you play the mission from multiplayer or SP scenarios screen?

Of course it did. As I explained that was one of the possibilities. The marker-grouped object spawns either where you placed it or at the location of one of the marker's it's grouped with.

You just want the H to appear at a random spot out of 6 possibilities right?

Place your FIVE markers in five of the places you want, place your object in the SIXTH place. Then group (this is sometimes difficult since in Group Mode you can't see the marker, but you can see it's tooltip when you're over it) the markers with the object and PREVIEW MORE THAN ONCE. :)

The H will move to one of the markers or remain where it is. No need for long if/than scripts or any scripts at all, though shk's solution is pretty elegant too. :)

_objArr = [HPos1, HPos2, HPos3, HPos4, HPos5, HPos6];
_randomInt = floor(count _objArr);
_HPos = getpos (_objArr select _randomInt);
_HPos set [2, 0];

H setPos _HPos;

Less is more. Call compile formats are messy.