Sign in to follow this  
zeep

Clunky movement, especially noticable in CQB.

I really like ARMA2 but sometimes the clunky-ish movement of the soldier gets to me. It's especially noticable in close quarters. It feels like the player carries a refrigerator on his back, apart from the weapon in his hand.

An example:

The other day i was standing on the top rail of the lighthouse, sniping down. When the AI spotted me and began to fire i wanted to quickly take a few steps back around the side. Man, i really had to struggle to get him either turned around or walk backwards.

Also when entering houses, rooms, hallways, doors. Maneuvering stairs (not ladders) etc, it needs a tad too much focus for something that should feel more natural. Try sidestepping out of a house...

Back in the days i played the mod Infiltration (see dyslyexci's site). It's infantry realism level equals ARMA2's easily still today. It featured weapon awareness (weapon collides with world), free aim zone, bulk influenced player speed/stamina, proning according to real life rules.. etc. Infiltration movement feels very natural, ARMA2's feels clunky.

I wonder if it can be changed by modding..

What are your thoughts on ARMA2 infantry movement? Just infantry, no vehicles etc.

Edited by zeep

Noticed that too.

Characters seem to get hung up in doors , on stairs etc. making quick evasive actions very difficult to say the least. Sometimes it's even difficult just going through a doorway.

Out in the open all seems fine , just in CQ does it get "clunky".

If the weapon is raised, or if the player uses the optic view, there are places in CQB where the character can get stuck, simply because there is not enough space to move, turn or sidestep.

In those situations, if the gun was very quickly lowered then raised back up automatically to avoid getting stuck, it would give more fluidity to CQB.

For the moment, to avoid getting stuck you can lower the weapon yourself or simply avoid tight places.

Edited by MQ-9 Reaper

In Infiltration you had to lower the weapon yourself instead of automatically, it has become a second nature to me and i've gotten very used to moving around / CQB with a weapon.

The free-aim in ARMA2 doesn't work that way.. allowing one to lower the weapon simply by moving it down .. :( but anyway, i'm very aware of my weapon and gear when i'm moving around.

The movement itself is quite clunky regardless of the weapon. :wink:

Edited by zeep

Hi Guys!

... there was a "fix" for this in Arma1... "proper weapon collision shape" - which helped with the getting jammed in doorways, tight spaces, CQB, etc... Didn't make movement less clunky, or more fluid or anything, but DID help a lot with turning while holding weapon normally...

Not sure who scripted that one, but Kju seems to be doing the "proper" stuff right now - might be worth asking him...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Agree, in some tight corners using proper cover can make the difference, but if you get stuck you have to make a wider lean and get more exposed

Fourthed. Worth a try. I send a pm to Kju.

truer words!

maybe we can make this a sticky

and before anyone jumps and say "lol this is not cod4"

I know is not cod and I've been a user of the series since original OFP, and it really needs to get it addressed

+1 on the CQB FIX

maybe if we say pretty please?

Can someone tell me how my weapon gets lowered? Does it happen automatically or am I hitting some key? Is there a way to prevent it from happening?

I so often go to fire and the gun is just not there resulting in me bashing all the mouse keys until it comes up. Is primary mouse button the correct button to use to bring the weapon back up? At first I thought this was a bug. As much as I like the idea, I'd probably snag some mod to prevent this from happening if someone wrote one.

TBH, why limit clunky player movment to just CQB? I and all you as well could probably make a list of all the movements and actions that we wish were just a bit faster...to cut down on the button mashing when the poo hits the fan. It's like the character is telling me, "hey chill out - I'll get to it eventually" as bullets zing all around him. :D

Can someone tell me how my weapon gets lowered? Does it happen automatically or am I hitting some key? Is there a way to prevent it from happening?...

...TBH, why limit clunky player movment to just CQB? I and all you as well could probably make a list of all the movements and actions that we wish were just a bit faster...to cut down on the button mashing when the poo hits the fan. It's like the character is telling me, "hey chill out - I'll get to it eventually" as bullets zing all around him. :D

Maybe you have your mousewheel bound to switching weapons? I had that at first and it resulted in switching weapons when i was scrolling through the in-game menu's.

Before we go offtopic too much; I personally don't have a problem with switching weapons, lowering weapons or how fast it's done in-game.

To me the clunkyness shines in CQB and urban terrain).

Lets not forget the buidings problem!

I dont know if you experienced that, but im pretty sure you did, passing thrgough walls, falling from roof suddenly with no reason, being pushed awway by a wall ( yes!) etc etc..

I would love a more accurate weapon collision system. But, i also think that buildings collisions need some improvements to make CQB more acceptable in Arma. Atm, CQB is just not what it should be. That is my only real grip with arma.

On an other note:

In the mod/game "infilrtation", you really could enjoy CQB. But if you wanted to go in tight place with a M16 you would be embarrassed by the weapon size. And you would have to take a MP5 or smthing else. In ArmA, weapon collision seems to all have the same size.. Thats a shame. Please do a weapon collsion mod! Pleaase!

Finally: A simple way to improve collision system would be to have the weapon collision activated only when you are on Ironsight. If you are stuck, just unaim the weapon, and collision system would be deactivated.

What do you think guys?

In Infiltration you had to lower the weapon yourself instead of automatically, it has become a second nature to me and i've gotten very used to moving around / CQB with a weapon.

The free-aim in ARMA2 doesn't work that way.. allowing one to lower the weapon simply by moving it down .. :( but anyway, i'm very aware of my weapon and gear when i'm moving around.

The movement itself is quite clunky regardless of the weapon. :wink:

Well i just dont understand. You lower your weapon by pressing ctrl two times as default, but you can change it to anything you like. I also dont like this clunkyness, but if it works the same way as in infiltration, whats the point of this unhappyness? With lovered weapon there is no stucking and stuff like that.

Shorter weapons should be better in cqb movementwise and all thats true. Myself i really try to avoid cqb in this game. (must be an ofp thing, those houses were so buggy, lol)

it's been like this since OFP, I don't think they're going to change it anytime soon (maybe with the expansion or a whole new engine). I'm sure if they could have fixed it they would have already

PROPER mods Weapon collision shape did the trick in ArmA1, hopefully kju gets it into ArmA2, it's a must have for anything CQB.

Can someone tell me how my weapon gets lowered? Does it happen automatically or am I hitting some key? Is there a way to prevent it from happening?

I so often go to fire and the gun is just not there resulting in me bashing all the mouse keys until it comes up. Is primary mouse button the correct button to use to bring the weapon back up? At first I thought this was a bug. As much as I like the idea, I'd probably snag some mod to prevent this from happening if someone wrote one.

TBH, why limit clunky player movment to just CQB? I and all you as well could probably make a list of all the movements and actions that we wish were just a bit faster...to cut down on the button mashing when the poo hits the fan. It's like the character is telling me, "hey chill out - I'll get to it eventually" as bullets zing all around him. :D

Dubbel tap the Ctrl key

- Weapon seems to get lowered if you open the map and after some sprint combination (sprint from crouch? not really sure)

- There's no separate collision for the weapon models, only for the character model (see http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Soldier_model_proportions ). Also, the fact that your character is pushed by collision also contributes to unwanted movements (try moving the weapon sideways towards a wall or going prone next to a corner).

- Running sideways will usually also get you through narrow spaces (seems than anim uses the lowered weapon collision box)

- I strongly suggest binding Turbo to a key instead of double-tapping W for sprinting to be able to evade nasty situations faster. That would also help you run sideways from ironsights view, instead of walking (really helpful if you need to move out, especially when reloading).

Dubbel tap the Ctrl key
Thanks!
PROPER mods Weapon collision shape did the trick in ArmA1
I thought that mod had some bad clipping issues. Were they ever resolved?

The solution is simple. Blow the crap out of every building THEN clear the area. :-p

The solution is simple. Blow the crap out of every building THEN clear the area. :-p

A lot of the buildings don't seem to have their proper collision mesh though. It's very fun trying to walk through a room and being unable to due to some invisible debris :)

If you want us to look into it, please create a ticket.

Attach a short description of what you think needs changing.

A sample mission to see the issue would help a lot. Thanks.