Sign in to follow this  
Alkid

About game balance

I've noticed some strange (for me) things in game:

1. Aircrafts are too weak against ground units. I created several tests where single ZU-23 successfully destroyed numerous Harriers and F-35s without getting single hit. The same thing with helicopter - they are dead meat if enemy has ZU or few heavy machineguns.

2. Frag shells of tank guns are too weak against lightly armoured vehilces and aircrafts. I know that shooting frags against heavy armour is useless but single 125 (or 120) mm frag round should make short work of jeep, APC or grounded helicopter. In game it takes 2-3 rounds to make light armour to explode.

3. In game it appears that Russian tanks have separate missle launcher in additoin to main gun. But in reality on T-72 and T-90 main gun is used to launch ATGM so you can have missle OR shell loaded at a time but not both.

Any comments?

Some armour/ammo values that are messed up maybe. But real life is unbalanced so i hope your not after balancing the game for the sake of balance?

But yeah it needs some tweaking here and there for sure.

ZU-23 took out aircrafts without hitting it? Sounds a bit corny. :)

Till now I had the impression that AntiAir was developed to take out aircrafts... maybe I was wrong....

On the other hand I always had the impression that a Zu is really helpless against an imbound Hellfire shot from 4km away...

But maybe he noticed that the AI is sometimes plain stupid and misunderstoods that this is not a topic for "balance"...

And Im also not sure what hes talking about the tankshells.. I dont see any light vehicles survive a tankshell... only heavy armor suvives it sometimes if aimed badly.

Useless thread, sry.

Edited by Zothen

Some armour/ammo values that are messed up maybe. But real life is unbalanced so i hope your not after balancing the game for the sake of balance?

But yeah it needs some tweaking here and there for sure.

ZU-23 took out aircrafts without hitting it? Sounds a bit corny. :)

No, ZU-23 takes out aircrafts without gettig hit FROM THEM :)

Well, I don't mean that in game every thing should be balanced and equal, but it should at least resemble reality. In reality ZU-23 is quite weak weapon against CAS or bomber aircrafts. It has no radar, range finder and ballistic computer. But in game it shoots like Terminator, like Tunguska taking down fast flying aircrafts like sitting ducks! This is not just "unrealistic" this is definitely fantastic. That's what I mean :)

First one is debatable. Although the AA guns are probably a lot more accurate than they really should be. There's also the fact that the aircraft AI isn't all that hot and they don't attack ground targets as well as they should.

Second and third criticisms are correct and should be dealt with.

Edited by echo1

Till now I had the impression that AntiAir was developed to take out aircrafts... maybe I was wrong....

On the other hand I always had the impression that a Zu is really helpless against an imbound Hellfire shot from 4km away...

But maybe he noticed that the AI is sometimes plain stupid and misunderstoods that this is not a topic for "balance"...

And Im also not sure what hes talking about the tankshells.. I dont see any light vehicles survive a tankshell... only heavy armor suvives it sometimes if aimed badly.

Useless thread, sry.

Well, that's your opinion, you can have it. But I still think that as long as ArmA 2 lists realism as it's strong point AI CAS fixed wing aircraft should take down AI ZU-23 in most engagements, not vice versa :) Try flying Su-25 against ZU-23 in LockOn, compare impressions with ArmA 2 and you'll understand what I mean.

How are you tackling the problem?

If you are flying striaght then you will get shot down. Are you jinking?

If you are flying too close, you will get shot down. is your SA good?

If you have AG missiles - is your engagement range far enough away?

If you have terrain - are you using it effectively?

No doubt the Gay-I can be ridiculously accurate but if you fly like a turd, expect to sink like one :)

Also try reducing the AI's skill level to make it a more balanced fight if you're being trounced by laser accuarcy.