Sign in to follow this  
-ami- mofo

Is this the strangest A2 problem ever?

This is one for the books....

After I have my 1st death and then respawn on our (clan) A2 server I turn into a ghost. Meaning that from my POV I'm still there and can see & hear everyone and yet to everyone else I'm not there.

They can't see or hear me, I can't take anything from ammo crates, my bullets do nothing and enemy AI totally ignore me. Medics don't get the option to revive me.

It doesn't happen all of the time, but does most of the time. I've only been playing A2 for a couple of months now and this problem has existed from the start.

The server is running revive script 1.2, but if that was the problem you'd think everyone would get it. Or at leat one other. But it's only me.

My ping is ok, no de-sync.

I'm not running any additional addons besides the few that all the clan members run on the server.

I have latest vid & SC drivers.

Here's what I/we have tried to troubleshoot so far.....

Re-installed A2. legit CD.

Created new profile with different name.

Tried joining 1st and JIP.

Formatted computer twice now and installed different OS's (from Vista 64bit to W7 64bit and now XP 32bit). All legit copies.

Used different A2 CD. legit CD.

Used different CD key. legit key.

Have patched straight to 1.03.

Have patched to 1.02 then to 1.03.

Disabled SLI.

Disabled antivirus & Windows firewall.

Have tried 2 different routers (although very similar one's).

Upgraded to latest router firmware.

Have disconnected my router numerous times.

Googled for hours but no reports of same problem.

It's not my machine as I've had it working fine at a friends house.

Disabled my ISP firewall.

I'm fast running out of options to try. It's maybe the most bizzare A2 problem yet.

Can anyone here shed any light on the problem? Any help or additional suggestions would be much appreciated.

Edited by -AMI- MoFo

I had the same bug before except I was dead and my team couldn't revive me because my body was invisible and they couldnt interact with me or revive. Only happend to me one time though.

I had the same bug before except I was dead and my team couldn't revive me because my body was invisible and they couldnt interact with me or revive. Only happend to me one time though.

So I'm not the only one who's had this happen. Thing is is that you had it once. I keep getting it.

Do you happen to know what version revive script was on the server when this happened to you? Or which server this was on? so I can try it on there as well.

Edited by -AMI- MoFo

So which addons are you running? And what do you mean by "It's not my machine as I've had it working fine at a friends house."?

Here's what I/we have tried to troubleshoot so far.....

Re-installed A2. legit CD.

Created new profile with different name.

Tried joining 1st and JIP.

Formatted computer twice now and installed different OS's (from Vista 64bit to W7 64bit and now XP 32bit). All legit copies.

Used different A2 CD. legit CD.

Used different CD key. legit key.

Have patched straight to 1.03.

Have patched to 1.02 then to 1.03.

Disabled SLI.

Disabled antivirus & Windows firewall.

Have tried 2 different routers (although very similar one's).

Upgraded to latest router firmware.

Have disconnected my router numerous times.

Googled for hours but no reports of same problem.

It's not my machine as I've had it working fine at a friends house.

Disabled my ISP firewall.

Did you call Ghost Busters?

What kind of an internet connection do you have? How reliable is it? Are upload/download speeds consistent? Do you have good days and bad days with internet? How old is your router? Is your router carrying multiple loads; i.e. Do you have room mates who may be cruising pr0n while you're gaming, thereby taking valuable bandwidth? Does your router have QoS tagging/is it enabled?

This sounds to me like it's a sync issue. Most games work off of UDP for network/internet communication. UDP packets are called best effort packets, because unlike TCP which asks that all communications make a handshake and then verify that all the packets arrive, UDP just sends packets off to the destination and hopes for the best, that all packets arrive in the right order, on time, and doesn't say if a packet has gone missing.

So:

• If your home network sits on a bad network/internet connection or inconsistent connection (such as Cable which is a best effort network);
  • If the server sits on a bad network/internet connection; or
  • The server's NIC is overloaded with too much traffic

Then you could probably be experiencing problems like this. I can imagine that with Arma 2 being such a system hog and if the requirements are too high for the server, that the server could very well be overloaded and be dropping UDP packets as it's not required to prioritize the traffic.

That's just an educated guess though. ;)

Edited by Sniperdoc

So which addons are you running? And what do you mean by "It's not my machine as I've had it working fine at a friends house."?

It's none of the addons as I get the same problem without them too. And what I mean by it's not my machine is that I took it over to a friend's house and didn't get the problem while over there. But got it again at home. So therefore the problem isn't my machine, or A2 install etc.

What kind of an internet connection do you have? How reliable is it? Are upload/download speeds consistent? Do you have good days and bad days with internet? How old is your router? Is your router carrying multiple loads; i.e. Do you have room mates who may be cruising pr0n while you're gaming, thereby taking valuable bandwidth? Does your router have QoS tagging/is it enabled?

This sounds to me like it's a sync issue. Most games work off of UDP for network/internet communication. UDP packets are called best effort packets, because unlike TCP which asks that all communications make a handshake and then verify that all the packets arrive, UDP just sends packets off to the destination and hopes for the best, that all packets arrive in the right order, on time, and doesn't say if a packet has gone missing.

So:

• If your home network sits on a bad network/internet connection or inconsistent connection (such as Cable which is a best effort network);
  • If the server sits on a bad network/internet connection; or
  • The server's NIC is overloaded with too much traffic

Then you could probably be experiencing problems like this. I can imagine that with Arma 2 being such a system hog and if the requirements are too high for the server, that the server could very well be overloaded and be dropping UDP packets as it's not required to prioritize the traffic.

That's just an educated guess though. ;)

And I think ur very close to the problem there Sniperdoc. My internet isn't great and speeds do vary sometimes. But all I usually get while playing any game is what you would expect. Ping fluctuates a bit and sometimes I swear that I "shot that guy" but he's fine. Most of the time it's ok though. It's only Arma2 that goes weird on me and it only seems our server too.

Also I've not had any problems at all on Arma2 servers with normal death/respawn. But we run the 1.2 revive script and it's looking more and more like it may be related to that, even though it's only affecting me.

I'm always fine before I experience my 1st death, but once I do that's when the revive script kicks in that's when I ghost out. It doesn't happen all the time though, but maybe that's at time's when my net is running smoother than usual?

Maybe the script only like's you if your internet is up to a certain quality?

I'll see if I can get them to run our test server with the same parameters as our co-op one but without the revive script. That should prove if it's related to the script or not.

Preacher;1441754']Just to clarify' date=' we are running with Norrin's Revive 0.3c :)[/quote']

Ah sorry Preach, my bad. Dunno where I got 1.2 from :386: