Sign in to follow this  
Horus

New patch 1.04

Third time's the charm and the speed of sound for gunfire is fixed. Bravo, bravo, it makes a tremendous difference. Now let me go change my pants.

What exactly was broken in 1.02 or 1.03? I admit I never noticed.

I cannot no more read from those who still can't stop bashing BI for "poor" performance.

This game is sssoooo open, sssooo vast and so unique.

Make sure you understand what you're talking about.

The "artificial intelligence" of the AIs sure consumes a lot of cpu-power.

And they are "intelligent". Each of them is autonomously and individually reacting to it's "felt" individual "environment".

No need to hint to some dumb actions of AIs we all know: That's only human! ;)

I remember that AIs in OF "had their own way of thinking" - they indeed lost concentration on your orders and began - after some time - to follow own rules and you had to keep them "up to date" to have them under your control .... I like that human touch. :D

You simply can't compare it with "games".

BI proved that it made OF, AA1 and AA2 run very smooth - at last for me with my middle aged PC. And I like BI making games for quite the leading-edge of hardware: You can have fun with this for a decade.

Many people, like me, still run OF and AA1 - they don't get "old fashioned" for they are sssooo open, sssooo unique and ssssooo open.

But it sure takes it time. :o

You don't lose nothing for gaming a year or two with 35 fraps for it's simply not only about fraps. It's about tactical gaming, editing, cooperating ... it's about creativity.

If you don't get that - you indeed will miss a lot of fun.

Thanx again, BI, for that patch! :)

Damn, i had 3 crash to desktops last night, 2 in multiplayer and one in the VTOL bootcam mission when flying into a pink ring.

I have had approx 12 crashes now since i installed patch 1.04, and had none whatsoever with the previous ones, i am a little miffed :(

Overall, Patch 1.04 works fine. Didn't notice huge improvements. There are still some lags while reloading textures on houses and the AI still has sometimes problems to find an appropriate way from A to B.

But as I said. Generally I'm happy about that game.

If someone still hesitates to buy it:

I would say: Stop hesitating and buy Arma2! You won't regret it.

Everyone has focus on game performance. If the game dont run smooth, go buy some better hardware.

Hush.

My desktop exceeded the system reqs in every regard but I still had every grotesque performance and stability issue known to man. The game was designed to run on the computers it was developed on and not mine. It just hated my machine's guts.

Now that I have a new laptop (with hardware that is drastically inferior) it runs fine.

Patch seems good so far, except for one problem... i now have warping units in the distance... something i have never had until now :| its making sniping infantry very difficult...

Everyone has focus on game performance. If the game dont run smooth, go buy some better hardware. The game runs great on my computer, so I dont care about that. How about AI, AI driving and improvements like that? Are there any?

What kind of a system do you have, might think about before stating it runs great.. Not everyone cant afford a new system just for a computer game.:confused:

Nice update. But I guess there won't ever be an update that will add the LittleBirds back in the game? These big choppers in the game are no good for any fast drop-offs making them almost useless in missions.

Add our LittleBirds back!

The Marine Corps doesn't use LittleBirds.

Is it me, or do the weapons fire off enough smoke since 1.04 to make you think its the 18th century all over again? looks silly now...

Has anyone been getting some mouse skidding, where it overruns past your target, since the patch?

I've never understood or experienced the many complaints about mouse controls, and haven't changed mine since release.

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

What exactly was broken in 1.02 or 1.03? I admit I never noticed.

You used to hear the sound of the gun going off before the crack of the bullet reaching you. So you would know that you were under fire before you got shot.

It also allowed AIs to "duck" your sniper rounds.

Has anyone been getting some mouse skidding, where it overruns past your target, since the patch?

I've never understood or experienced the many complaints about mouse controls, and haven't changed mine since release.

Yes... i just went back to 1.03 to fix it :(

BTW, those that are having trouble with units skipping in the distance, disable Post Processing to temporarily fix it til a hotfix/patch.

Are there going to be "patch 1.04 Satisfaction or Stability or Impressions" threads? Or is this the official "1.04 response" thread????

B

Edited by Bushlurker

I just noticed that if you use your sprint button while walk is toggled you don't sprint and just "fast walk"; so now when you're clearing out a town you don't accidentally charge into the firefight!

I haven't gotten this to work. Can you or someone else be clear on what one has to do to "fast walk?"

This game is so annoying now,you give way points to units and they go wandering off into the forest,missions crash,low FPS,playing it hoping it will be fun but disappointing because of all the obvious bugs.Why didn't test this peace of s@*T before you release it......????

the patch runs fine for me..it eliminates the gun sound distortion :yay:

...not encountered any serious game breaking bug so far

thank you BIS

I just experienced the sound cutting and CTD yesterday. Never happened before 1.04.

The game seems to load slower too. It's about the same ingame.

I guess this would be a good place for a 1st impressions post, since I don't see a 1.04 1st Impressions thread:

Okay, so I've got a new computer that can handle ArmA. It's an HP Pavilion Elite AMD Quad-core at 2.6Ghz each, 8 Gigs DDR3 and a 512 Meg Radeon video card. It's also got some kind of RealTech/Tek soundcard (I'd prefer a good ol' Creative card, myself).

Well, ArmA can really get down there in frames per second, even in story mode. This really makes me long for good ol' Operation Flashpoint: Elite. All of this pursuit after great graphics is making for sluggish gameplay. Sure, it's beautiful, but who admires the scenery when the bullets start flying? You need responsiveness.

Ground vehicle steering is ridiculously all over the place.

And a final complaint: I'm trying to get past Harvest Red, set in that city with an industrial sector. I am over and over getting me or my troops mowed down by bad guys I never see unless they're within 30 feet. I can see why reviewers say the A.I. cheats.

All of these factors combine to make a difficult game. During the first couple of missions I thought it was fairly easy, though fellow A.I. did most of the killing. But early in the story I am finding it a bit of chore.

That first mission had lots of charm, what with the various civilians in need of help, so I hope I see a lot more of that. Just having trouble getting through.

I'm running at 1024 x 768 with about 1000 meters view distance and fairly normal settings.

THANKYOU! At last I can play ARMA2 without the stupid mouse-lag! YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!

I have a intel q9650 @3.5 and quad 295gtx,this game should fly,but after the patch it takes for ever to load,get us some better patch's...PLZ

I have a intel q9650 @3.5 and quad 295gtx,this game should fly,but after the patch it takes for ever to load,get us some better patch's...PLZ

I get the same problem under Win 7 32bit (RC), under Win7 64bit RTM and WinXP 32bit I don't get the same problem. I figure it's just a bug with Win 7 RC having a conflict with something put in place in the new patch. Most likely a security issue due to the fact that it also takes forever to get the last two checks.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

I guess this would be a good place for a 1st impressions post, since I don't see a 1.04 1st Impressions thread:

Okay, so I've got a new computer that can handle ArmA. It's an HP Pavilion Elite AMD Quad-core at 2.6Ghz each, 8 Gigs DDR3 and a 512 Meg Radeon video card. It's also got some kind of RealTech/Tek soundcard (I'd prefer a good ol' Creative card, myself).

Well, ArmA can really get down there in frames per second, even in story mode. This really makes me long for good ol' Operation Flashpoint: Elite. All of this pursuit after great graphics is making for sluggish gameplay. Sure, it's beautiful, but who admires the scenery when the bullets start flying? You need responsiveness.

Ground vehicle steering is ridiculously all over the place.

And a final complaint: I'm trying to get past Harvest Red, set in that city with an industrial sector. I am over and over getting me or my troops mowed down by bad guys I never see unless they're within 30 feet. I can see why reviewers say the A.I. cheats.

All of these factors combine to make a difficult game. During the first couple of missions I thought it was fairly easy, though fellow A.I. did most of the killing. But early in the story I am finding it a bit of chore.

That first mission had lots of charm, what with the various civilians in need of help, so I hope I see a lot more of that. Just having trouble getting through.

I'm running at 1024 x 768 with about 1000 meters view distance and fairly normal settings.

What graphics card are you using? It seems like it's likely to be what's holding your fps back (although could be the cpu or a bottleneck), but not sure what Graphics card you have.

As a reference, I get about 25-30 fps on Arma 2 on normal settings (no AA, no PP), on Arma 1 on all very high, max view distance (basically everything maxed out) I get 100 fps.

Turn terrain detail to very low to see the AI easier.

The AI is more difficult that Arma 1 on default settings, but if you're having problems with them then create your own missions and set the AI difficulty to minimum, good for practising and getting that old Flashpoint feel.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

BTW, try this http://beta.systemrequirementslab.com/srl/ to see how your system fairs for Arma 2

Since 1.04 I have to say, that I agree performance is significantly down.

However, the flip side is that the quality is a whole hell of a lot better. Pop in is GREATLY reduced, so I would actually say that what they have done is worth it.

Oh darn, Ive been enjoying ArmA2 for couple of months with no problems running it at all.... until this patch (1.04) and now after 5mins the colours go crazy and quickly become unable to use the game despite it seemingly running ok (can shoot and move from what glimpses I get before it gets too far gone visually).

I thought I had the latest Dx10 files, but I ran the dxwebsetup.exe Version: 9.27.1734 Date Published: 9/16/2009 from microsoft's site anyway, but the problem remains unchanged.

I set the video options to 'default' to no avail.

The game is now unplayable for me, any ideas?

Intel CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz, 6MB Cache, 800Mhz FSB)

4GB Dual Channel 667MHz DDR2

Dual NVIDIA SLI GeForce 8800M GTX with 1GB Memory each

Windows Vista Ultimate

GPU overheating? Clean it by removing the dust.