Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

Would You like to see Mumble's LINK - 'open plugin' implemented into ARMA 2?

Would You like to see Mumble Link support implemented into ARMA 2?  

426 members have voted

1. 1. Would You like to see Mumble Link support implemented into ARMA 2?

Simply put, no. Mumble is good software, but there is no need to package with the game to replace the VON.

I voted yes although I'd personally rather prefer an official integration with Teamspeak3 once it's out of beta.

I've been using both Mumble, Ventrilo and Teamspeak for several years, but as far as features and interegration goes Teamspeak (again In my opinion) offers the best suited community solution.

Simply put, no. Mumble is good software, but there is no need to package with the game to replace the VON.

Well, maybe there's no need, but this solution has two key features:

- better quality with lower bandwidth usage

- developers not having to think about reinventing the wheel, focus on engine itself instead

I would definitely want mumble support in here, I have been using it for some time beforehand.

ARROWHEAD support planned...?

I was on the mumble chat and they say the easiest way to get mumble working with arrowhead is to implement "LINK"

fwaggle> Megagoth1702: link == an interace where the game voluntarily supplies the coordinates

<fwaggle> instead of having them dragged out of the memory space kicking and screaming

Any chance of doing that?

Edited by megagoth1702

Well yes for those that use mumble on their servers however would also add, do the same for teamspeak3 and ventrilo.

The comms application choice isnt all about qualiy of sound output and it would be an unfair approach to single out mumble for this functionality. The other two have pro's and cons also

Edited by Terox

Latencyyyy! Much more important than quality. And mumble beats them all.

My post wasnt intended as a fanboy lure, which is why I wasnt specific about any particular functionality. We all have our favourite applications and reasons for using them. I 'm happy for you that you like Mumble, continue using it and be happy.

But, it is an unfair approach to the rest of the community who do not use Mumble for whaterver reason.

I think the main reason to go with Mumble is the fact that it is open source and does not require any kind of licensing to bundle it with a game. Teamspeak3 and Ventrilo are both proprietary, so BIS would need to spend money if they wanted to integrate support for them into Arma2.

I think the main reason to go with Mumble is the fact that it is open source and does not require any kind of licensing to bundle it with a game. Teamspeak3 and Ventrilo are both proprietary, so BIS would need to spend money if they wanted to integrate support for them into Arma2.

Thats a top notch reply, thanks MaddogX

also don't forget that important detail,

if we implement Mumble Link support,

TeamSpeak 3 (plugins) can afterward use that exported informations too ...

because it's well documented opensource based method :)

and most likely not just TS3 users will try take use of it

Mumble in arma OA? this would be absolutely awesome, especially if it handles, not just 3D localisation.

We have run into some what of a brick wall with SQF performance in ACRE. Basically we can not rely on SQF to do things that are super time critical (like what we need for 3D sound) in a heavy scripting environment. If we could be able to move most of our code that relates to things like 3D positions and other stuff (including our dynamic muting based on distance which helps TS3 server bandwidth performance) out of ArmA2 and into the TS3 plugin (which can allocate resources on its own) then it'd be really helpful.

I know mumble just for a few months yet but it convinced me within minutes. Server is setup in five minutes, Client is a peace of cake as well for everyone who´s familiar with TS2. It gets a bit tricky with indepth-settings but the enormous low latency and high voice quality requiring such low bandwidth compared with TS3 is just impressive. The Overlay that shows you who´s speaking while playing is also a very helpful tool.

As long as they've progressed the asinine user-management options they had 18 months ago.

Remember people this has nothing to do with Mumble being intrinsically linked to ArmA 2, but more so giving the ability to accss certain values of the game outside of the game in an external application. It just happens to be using a standard that Mumble invented.

As long as they've progressed the asinine user-management options they had 18 months ago.

No they haven't, I'm afraid, but I still prefer mumble. The super low latency is still the win.

I tried to convince my squad to use Mumble. We tried it and liked the quality. But our server admin said installling a Murmur server was terribly complicated. We gave up on Mumble for this reason. All this happened a few months before TS3 came out. We have been using TS3 and are satisfied with it. All public players who join our servers know how to use TS3 so it seems reasonable to stick with it.

But we are big fans of ACRE. Should ACRE decide to work with mumble instead of TS3 we would certainly reconsider. If setting up a server is easier now, that would help, too.

TS3's latency is not perceived as a problem in our squad and by our guests. At least I have not had any complaints about it.

TS3 and ACRE are great. I would still like to see mumble support added to arma 2 though, simply because it wouldn't be terribly difficult and mumble is open source.

Is there any movement towards implementing Mumble link support, or is this a lost cause now ?

I tried to convince my squad to use Mumble. We tried it and liked the quality. But our server admin said installling a Murmur server was terribly complicated. We gave up on Mumble for this reason. All this happened a few months before TS3 came out. We have been using TS3 and are satisfied with it. All public players who join our servers know how to use TS3 so it seems reasonable to stick with it.

But we are big fans of ACRE. Should ACRE decide to work with mumble instead of TS3 we would certainly reconsider. If setting up a server is easier now, that would help, too.

TS3's latency is not perceived as a problem in our squad and by our guests. At least I have not had any complaints about it.

We have no plans of moving to mumble. Mumble link can be used with TS3, or any other application.

. But our server admin said installling a Murmur server was terribly complicated. We gave up on Mumble for this reason. .

It's a shocker to set up, that's for sure. It's made primarily for linux, so it's pointlessly nerdy and complex with indescribably obtuse acronyms made up of other acronyms. It's also free with no licensing restrictions.

Which is why I use the free one that comes with my game server. :)

For users, it's wonderful. For admins it's like hacking your own penis off trying to get it to work.

It's a shocker to set up, that's for sure. It's made primarily for linux, so it's pointlessly nerdy and complex with indescribably obtuse acronyms made up of other acronyms. It's also free with no licensing restrictions.

Which is why I use the free one that comes with my game server. :)

For users, it's wonderful. For admins it's like hacking your own penis off trying to get it to work.

Its not that bad, as its open source its well documented. Super low latency FTW, no other voip application comes close