Sign in to follow this  
monty67t

ArmA2 Project Reality

I've heard from a good source inside Project Reality that they are working on an official ArmA2 Project Reality mod. If this is true do you think it is a good thing? Do you think there will be somewhat of a "silent" competition between PR and ACE that will make them both better, kind of like between ArmA2 and OFPDR? Your thoughts?

I've heard from a good source inside Project Reality that they are working on an official ArmA2 Project Reality mod. If this is true do you think it is a good thing? Do you think there will be somewhat of a "silent" competition between PR and ACE that will make them both better, kind of like between ArmA2 and OFPDR? Your thoughts?

By good source do you mean Stalker's many posts talking of his collaboration with PR or the ARMA Dev group on the PR forum?

Aren't they making Project Reality 2 on the C4 Engine ? "source"

Not forgetting that they keep working on Project Reality.

Maybe you should consider you sources. :)

Edited by dunedain

Great news all around if it's true. Anything made by the PR team will definitely find it's way to my HDD as soon as it is made available.

AAS in Project Reality is my favorite mod gameplay, is difficult to reproduce this mod on ArmA.

And especially to have a mature community for this module, best community for me is on PR, and the old school Thor Brigade server.

BF2 and ArmA2 are far different, plus, what good would PR do in ArmA2 anyway? What BIS didn't accomplish ACE is working. It's quite pointless if you ask me.

/Agree with Binkowski

More, a "convertion" of all a mod from a game to another take a very long time and is not always possible.

BF2 and ArmA2 are far different, plus, what good would PR do in ArmA2 anyway? What BIS didn't accomplish ACE is working. It's quite pointless if you ask me.

I agree. There is only so much you can squeeze out of an engine and I think the guys at ACE will do a great job at getting everything you can out of this game.

I'm not sure what their plans are exactly, but one of their developers did say they are making an ArmA2 mod.

We ourselves are now working on a Mod for PR in ARMA II, which will be an"official" PR Mod .........

I don't personally know anyone from PR and I don't know how solid all of this is. I'm receiving it all second hand and you know how that can be.

Quote:

We ourselves are now working on a Mod for PR in ARMA II, which will be an"official" PR Mod .........

Do you know who said that?

Anway, PR i think would more go for content and game modes over game changing effects like ACE, at least to start with.

The only PR project publically known is StalkerGB's use of British kit and anther mission (I forget who made it) with AASv2. The devs have declined that they would make another mod for any other game and are focusing on finishing the BF2 mod and starting up PR2 on the C4 engine.

Anway, PR i think would more go for content and game modes over game changing effects like ACE, at least to start with.

Thats what I was thinking. The content would be the biggest advantage and a welcome addition to the community.

Oh yes, ArmA2 will only come to its full potential when i can drop a nuke when i'm tired of shooting bad guys with one of the hundred thousand SCAR, HK41# variants or refuel my chopper in the air when it runs dry after 15 minutes of flight. :D

Mind you, ArmA2 desperately needs a teamwork-enforcing pub-friendly gamemode. Project Reality has managed to deliver what no other game has, a gamemode that really promotes and rewards teamwork and tactics while removing or at least severely discouraging griefers and rambos.

I'm supporting any project that attempts to replicate this in ArmA2 in some way (Devastation for game mechanics, Berzerk for properly keeping a TvT community in one place - stable server, missions somewhat locked to that server) and I'd wish to see their forces unite for one quality project.

It does but many in this community would cry out to project reality's method of enforcing teamwork if it ever came about.

Some view the prospect of being killed inside of a tank because you weren't in the same squad or that the weapons on vehicles need to warm up (the more lethal the longer the warmup) as "Annoying" or even "ridiculous".

um what? lol yer thats wrong... the warm up time is just there so people cant suddenly jump in a tank switch to the turret and start blowing shit up the instant they get in, for tanks its around 30 seconds untill your turret becomes active, which i think is resonable, but all this dosnt matter anyway since PR is NOT coming to arma2... they are focusing on finishing the mod for bf2, then are moving onto a indi game

It does but many in this community would cry out to project reality's method of enforcing teamwork if it ever came about.

Some view the prospect of being killed inside of a tank because you weren't in the same squad or that the weapons on vehicles need to warm up (the more lethal the longer the warmup) as "Annoying" or even "ridiculous".

@NodUnit: I strongly disagree, even though some might act silly/ramboish, I really think this community is more open to teamwork than others. The game is already a quite good entry barrier, there's no way you could actually play it without a bit of tactics and attention. Yes, some might complain, but I think that, given the proper rules of the game, many will accept them and actually adopt tactics and teamplay. In fact, I've seen quite a bit more teamplay than I expected yesterday evening on Berzerk servers, even though teamwork is severely hindered by the lack of VoN and some intuitive squad structure there.

Killed inside a tank - that's a limitation of BF2 engine. In ArmA2 the player could be easily ejected or not even allowed to get in in the first place. As for warmup times and kit restrictions, that simply tries to raise the probability that the assets are used by people who know what to do. As I said, I love how that gamemode enforces teamplay by game rules.

i vote for NO PR in any BIS war simulation games!

Even PR idea makes me want to vomit.

Leave REAL realism expansion mods for arma community/mods(ace,slx, etc...) only!

P.S. I say no to BF or any other shooters, LONG LIVE BIS!

First of all, you may want to try PR so you have even a remotely accurate idea of what it aims for.

This is as far from Vanilla lonewolf BF2 you can possibly get within the constraints of the engine.

Secondly, NO there will not be a official PR mod for Arma. We already have our ACE mod, PR people is busy with their indie game and 0.9,

and the Arma engine is different to mod in, so can someone close this thread now?

Edited by sparks50

A PR style gamemode can be implemented as a mission (see Devastation) which can run on ACE as well. The only reason for this to become an actual mod would be to further balance weaponry/assets and add extra content (units, islands, objects). While this can be done with other addons, the quality of the content PR staff creates and the advantage of having a single pack keeping the playerbase on the same page (see the success of ACE based servers in ArmA1 vs servers running addon compilations) wouldn't be easy to achieve.

I guess the first step to see this idea spring to life would be to have a proper, dedicated Devastation server, same as Berzerk does.

Shameless plug on trying to implement some PR + other teamplay enforcement ideas :

http://dev-heaven.net/wiki/whis-maas

Some people here might want to try the early beta.

Sry for the probably needless ad, I just need a few people involved for testing and feedback

i vote for NO PR in any BIS war simulation games!

Even PR idea makes me want to vomit.

Leave REAL realism expansion mods for arma community/mods(ace,slx, etc...) only!

P.S. I say no to BF or any other shooters, LONG LIVE BIS!

Shut up.

It's not going to happen but a PR mod for ArmA 2 would be welcomed by me, they managed to do quite a lot with the BF2 engine and I can but wonder what they'd do with ArmA 2.

Still it's not going to happen :p