Sign in to follow this  
Spoock

Latest CC:GM Press Coverage

Imagine if BIS made an entire planet with gravity effects and all O.o

seriously now xD, I think the screens look epic fro alpha-stage development and I'm looking forward to this.

I have a question which I couldn't find the answer to in press-coverage which I looked at; is this being designed on the real-virtuality3 engine or have BIS moved on to try something else?

(just curious, not saying its good/bad)

but there will be infantry or only the vehicles?

(sorry for my english) :)

There will be both infanty and vehicles. You can see some early gameplay footage in the other thread.

What an asshole of a site, full of advert popups.... then selecting the 'next' button for the next image took me to some other random site.

These sreens actually look genuinely awesome :yummy:

Does anyone know how big the island/s/worlds will be?

@76 it's not my site :p it was just the first site, wich had these screens online... nice find lex89

It's got potential!

Deff, I think keeping along the same track, cannot go far wrong guys tbh.

That link takes me to Everquest site. Anyone else get the same poop?

Working fine for me with Firefox :)

In Opera (Pic) the whole page is completely FUBAR. Avant Browser (IE mod) only shows the top ad-banner. Apparently this website is only compatible with Firefox at the time being.. :bored:

I'm just going to quote it here (it's long):

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is the rebirth of a twenty-year old franchise, with a twist. They’ve taken the entire game and set it square in the world of author P.D. Gilson and his Gaea series (Gaea: Beyond the Son available now). In the books (and game), the Earth’s population is in trouble and needs resources from Taurus, another planet. The problem is that the APA are already there. Your mission is to capture a damaged carrier and begin taking control of the islands on the planet to fight off the APA.

The colony planetoid of Taurus is a pivotal battleground in the United Earth Coalition (UEC)’s long campaign against the rogue Asian Pacific Alliance (APA), who gained dominion over Earth in an apocalyptic conflict. The wide oceans of Taurus are dotted with resource-rich islands of varying composition and hiding many secrets.

Bohemia Interactive and Black Element Software have taken the original game’s mechanics and ideas and brought them forward into the modern PC gaming era. The graphics, as one would expect, have come a long way from the groundbreaking work of the original and are sure to impress. From what I saw on my visit to the studio, even though the game is far from complete (as in all the pieces aren’t in place just yet), the graphics are shaping up quite nicely.

The strategy of fighting on Taurus

You begin the game by crash landing on an island and have a single first-person mission where you must find and take control of the damaged carrier. After that the entire game revolves around you being in the captain’s chair controlling the systems, commanding your units and looking at the world from a tactical perspective. However, with one-click you can jump right into any your vehicle units and take direct control of them giving you both strategy and FPS feel and gameplay.

The islands come in three types - Production (units, weapons, fuel), Mining of resources and Defense which are hardened positions to help keep control of your island network. The islands themselves offer six climates including arctic, temperate, mountainous, wastelands (savanna-like), volcanic and marsh or swampland. There will also be dynamic weather on the islands along with a day-time cycle (there’s apparently no night I guess). Each island was individually designed by the team of three designers and they all have specific landmarks on them that make them far from the same old islands being used over and over again.

In order to control and maintain all of the islands you capture they must remain in a connected supply chain where the severing of the chain means you will lose control of the islands on the other side of the lost link. This will be an important strategic element that can also be a weapon against your enemy as much as a danger for you. Looking at my shoddy example image (not actual game imagery), if you were in control of islands A, B, C, E and F, the loss of E or F would cut you off from all resources of A, B and C also. If you were in control of D and H the loss of H would cut off the supplies from D as well. This is where the defense islands will be useful. E would be of great strategic value and therefore would be best as a defensive island so that it would be harder for the enemy to retake.

There’s also the ability to stockpile resources on an island. These resources can then be transported to the carrier by a slow moving supply barge or gathered directly by the carrier. The advantage is that it shortens the time it takes for resources and replenishment. From what I was told there should be 32 islands in the main map and the island types will be preset as the enemy is already there. However, you can retask the islands to your needs if necessary, but it’s an expensive procedure.

There is no micromanagement of bases and resources in the game. Taking control of an island means you can automatically start utilizing whatever type of island it is without having to give orders or constantly watch over it. The game is mostly focused on the strategy and requires a chess-like thought process so that you are always one step ahead of your enemy. They say that it could be compared more closely to Hostile Waters than anything else.

Update: I’ve been reminded that the world is more open environmentally than Hostile Waters and while there is island combat it is not linear like that title was. (Thanks Jan)

We will fight them on the land, on the sea and in the air...

Units in the game include:

• Carrier - The mobile command base from where you control your units and islands.
  • Walrus - The WALRUS (Water And Land Roving Utility Shuttle) is a six-wheeled amphibious beast. Heavily armored and packing a punch, they are perfect for ground or sea assaults. Can carry droids and construction crews.
  • Manta - The MANTA (Multi-role Aircraft for Nautical Tactical Assault) is an aerial survey craft which has been adapted with weapons capabilities to assist in battle.
  • Droids - Human soldiers are in short supply so the use of droid soldiers is now standard practice.

Carrier Command Weapons:

• Plasma Cannon - This heavy-duty, dual-barrelled cannon fires superheated globs of liquid metal which wreak immense damage to any target.
  • Gatling Gun - Fires high-velocity rounds at a rapid rate, literally a metallic storm.
  • Apollo Missile - A battery of mid-range missiles with weak homing capability. Can be fired in quick succession.
  • Defense Drones - Automated aerial drones which hover in formation to protect the carrier. They will ram any enemy vehicles that enter their range, or block incoming missiles.
  • Cruise Missile - The last stand. A single-shot missile of incredible destructive power. Only one can be stocked by the carrier at any time.

You can also leave the carrier yourself and head out into the world, but it’s very dangerous and if you die, that’s it, like in reality. So your best bet is to stay in the command chair and send out your unmanned units to take control of the islands and fight off the enemy.

During the course of the game you will find some technological items that will help you build up your tech level. The carrier you find had been damaged and doesn’t contain everything that it could. So you have some systems that you can upgrade over time which will further your capabilities.

You’ll need to keep an eye on things like fuel and supplies which could become a weak point in your strategy if you’re not careful. Fuel an limit your ability to move and you could get stranded out in open water and have to wait for the slow-moving supply barge to bring you fuel. The same goes with other supplies. A well-rounded and well-prepared strategy will be required to win the day.

Carrier Command’s Diverse Gameplay

The battles themselves are similar to standard real-time strategies and you can stay in the command chair and give orders to your units and just watch them attack, or you can jump into one and have some fun strafing enemies, etc. The command chair interface is similar to a pop up hologram screen that one might expect from standard sci-fi. This interface gives you a sense of being in command of the carrier and all of your units in a single place. You can even see the rest of the bridge behind it.

That, along with the ability to one-click and take control of single units will give a varied gameplay experience. For those that want a more strategic feel to the game’s battles, it’s easy enough to stay in the chair and watch the battle. For those that want a more hands on approach to it, you can quickly jump into units and get the FPS feel.

Carrier Command Multiplayer?

I was told that there will most likely be some sort of multiplayer in the game but that it will probably be more action-focused. Can you imagine having two ships cruising around a world of 32 islands? It would be likely that you don’t see the enemy for some time. From the sounds of it, I think they might limit it to single island combat and include multiple modes. They haven’t defined any modes or released any info on the multiplayer, it’s just my feelings from my meeting with them. I can definitely see capture-the-flag and domination (capture control points) working, as well as standard deathmatch. There might also be some sort of resource collecting mode if a single island were to be broken into zones with resources coming from each one. For example, if you capture a production facility you then get new units or supplies. The carrier has a limited number of units on it so that could definitely be implemented into a multiplayer mode to make things more interesting.

My overall feeling when I walked away from the studio was that Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is certain to be a winner with gamers. The diverse gameplay along with the reinvented world and strategy will certainly make the game worth checking into further. It certainly pays homage to the game that it is based on and will be, I believe, an excellent game. The amount of work that they have put into the detail on the units and the world is impressive and this game seems like it will do well on all points including replayability and multiplayer. Additionally, I could also envision a map editor being made available at some time to allow for the community to begin building new islands for the multiplayer matches. Again, this has not been confirmed by Bohemia Interactive and is just my thoughts on it.

The game is expected to be released later this year and is set to be released on the PC and consoles (most likely Xbox 360 and PS3). Check out the screens in the gallery to see just how cool the game is looking already.

Edited by colossus

It works too with Opera and Google Chrome.

Also working fine for me in Opera.......

Good article.

lol! "Not actual game image" Phew!