Sign in to follow this  
THEBLITZ6794

The Main Problems of Arma/Arma 2

Hi I re-installed this game and had a play around on the air field on the small island. I knocked right down aload of graphics settings and just used 1 marine to run around the air tower building and huts.

I have to say some serious words in its defense this is an excellent game alright there's real potential here. I had no idea collision detection on indoor levels was as good as this. It's pretty much up to almost Deus Ex standards or F.E.A.R., not quite but good enough alright. I must say the improvement here from OFP days is staggering. This puts the game in a whole new light for me.

Credit where it's due the developers have done an amazing job on this part of the game. It's also visually head and shoulders easy above any other game I've ever played. You can run around on the upper level of the control tower on the outside balcony with NO collision detection anomalies whatsover. That is extraordinary for a game which models so much expanse of environment per load out.

Hmm... I think I am going to pick this up and start working on some small scale stuff and see where it goes. I just didn't get a flavour for how good this was when I played it first time round but having the chance to play quietly in the editor has really opened my eyes to this. Collision detection is so good even indoors that if you crouch you can't side step out of a door way because your weapon is preventing you from getting out the door. Hats off here alright, the game's theme scope has now gone astronomical. Just about ANY mod you'd want could be made using this platform now.

The only bit I don't like is that the animations are too large in the displacement (change in position) they produce and are rather too long for really sharp indoors stuff like Deus Ex and F.E.A.R.. It creates a bit of a jerky and clunky feel. Resolving this along with - I would guess - some model geometry LOD rework (i.e. just removing any geometry LOD for the weapon) would leave you with a near perfect platform depending on how mod-able the AI is. For sure this game IS worth the time of a hard-core thinker and modder.

Anyhow I thought I needed to share that because I was so impressed with how that marine moved around the tower balcony I knew I'd made an incorrect judgement in my first pass of the game.

If anyone can give me some insights of how the anims could be made sharper please let me know. I think they just need to be more 'interruptable' with a shorter execution time once intiated by user input. That and some probably minor geometry resolving should really create something extra special here ;)

I think Arma 2 for the PC is the best game on the market. I just wish the FPS where better and more stable for me. The graphics could always get better, but the feel of the game and options I think rule. No other game on the market like it!!

@chris330 -For weapons blocking your movement in confined spaces I believe kju had something that lowered your rifle in one of his Proper packs but that might have been for Arma1. As far as shortening animations, probably a scripting guru like solus (SLXmod) or TonyRanger (FFNmod) could help you out there.

I think Arma 2 for the PC is the best game on the market. I just wish the FPS where better and more stable for me. The graphics could always get better, but the feel of the game and options I think rule. No other game on the market like it!!

-Asus P6T Deluxe V2 with 0502 BIOS

-920 2.66Ghz with V8 heatsink

-6GB OCZ Reaper 3x1GB - OCZ3RPR1866C9LV3GK

-BFG 285GTX OC2 1GB w/ 190.62 Drivers

-CoolerMaster HAF 932 Case

-Antec 1000w Power Supply

-Asus VK266H 26" 1920x1200 16:10

-Tried Vista Enterprise, XP Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate

-Have also tried XFX 1GB ATI 4890 XT w/9.8 no luck!

-Had 3GB Kingston RAM - KHX16000D3K3

Your signature lives up to your name perfectly.

:D

Edited by Guest

I think Arma 2 for the PC is the best game on the market. I just wish the FPS where better and more stable for me.

Same here.

And that's the tragedy, ArmA2 with all the performance problems and the ancient bugs is still the only game for all the "milsim" fans out there.

MfG Lee :icon_neutral: