Sign in to follow this  
nettrucker

How many of you old OFP Veterans are still playing BIS games?

Played OFP from 02 to 05ish, stopped until ArmA was released, played that for a little while, then stopped until about a month ago

Memories of when they said OFP 2 was gonna be released in 03, heh

Reason for not playing the Armed Assault games so much was probably because I played OFP to death

Edited by HuNtA

Played OFP from 02 to 05ish, stopped until ArmA was released, played that for a little while, then stopped until about a month ago

Memories of when they said OFP 2 was gonna be released in 03, heh

I remember you from the OFP.info forums :P (I used to be "Lt HuNTeR", the Mr Terror of the Forums)

I was reading the announcement newspost from 2003 about "OFP2" while doing a search for the Operation LoJack mission (still brilliant) on OFPR.info a few days ago. Made me giggle, what a catastrophe. The only thing that actually materialized was in the quoted part from Marek Spanel, albeit under a different name (ArmA2).

So much has changed (and basically gotten worse) since then :butbut:

Does anyone know what happened to Toadlife (creator of the Operation LoJack mission)?

Haha, it's funny how petty that all seems now

I've got another account on here (DaveP), but it seems oddly more familiar to use this one, even if the name feels mildly stupid

Just checked it out

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=8351

To be fair, that is really very reminiscent of a slightly older looking version of ArmA 2, even similar units

I remember someone from BI-Team once stated/admitted that FPS was around "1-3FPS" as they've taken those screenshots... :D

To dense vegetation.

However what buggs me is that in that one screenshot we see a animation from outside, when someone is looking through ironsights, i miss this animation since that point in-game.

been here for almost a decade now i am not going anywhere :)

Well I bought Ofp back in July 2001, was online during the gold age of CTF leagues "I was an FLS then an MSC".

Unfortunately I broke my CWC CD a couple of years ago, when I got nostalgic and wanted to play it again, it was a bit exhausted I guess, I really felt bad afterwards ... :'(

Still play Arma from time to time on my laptop and Arma2 on my pc when I'm home, but it never gets close from the good old days when in an evening you could play dozen of CTF, fun maps "race, tricks" zombie maps "nogova virus, theyhunger" and some "serious" coops with frenchies from ofp.info and my team .. :o

Games and especially tactical shooters were so epic back then. :bounce3:

Edited by dunedain

Holy Crap!

Revisiting the old OpF site was heart wrenching. I only started playing Arma 2 last year when I upgraded my PC, up until then it was still OpF. Just realised how much I miss it.

There are still WIP I was waiting for that are looking great and some of the releases I was also waiting for are out now. It's kind of made me sad because as good as ArmA 2 is its no flashpoint when it comes to atmosphere for some reason.

I mean Arma 2 looks like I wished OpF looked like but, its not the same feel. Its hard to describe, I'm sure someone out there knows exactly what I'm on about.

Ah Taviania by -martin- is getting closer, I was really looking forward to playing that island. :(

I wish someone would make OpF islands for all us sad fan boys. I miss Dr No's island, CAT afghan, and the rest. Could go on and on.

Why can't you just install OFP when Taviania island gets out?

STGN

I love O.F.P. much more then ArmA 1 and ArmA 2 toghetter.

The gameplay and atmosphere in O.F.P. was and still is outstanding!

Too bad we don't have all thouse nice scripting commands and .sqf in O.F.P. that's the main reason why i use to play ( mod ) A1 and A2.

O.F.P. FOREVER! :D

Why can't you just install OFP when Taviania island gets out?

STGN

Because of the upgrade. My wife now uses that computer for photo-shop stuff. All the OpF stuff has been wiped so I'd need to dwnld all my mods again and frankly, its too time consuming.

It's kind of made me sad because as good as ArmA 2 is its no flashpoint when it comes to atmosphere for some reason.

I mean Arma 2 looks like I wished OpF looked like but, its not the same feel. Its hard to describe, I'm sure someone out there knows exactly what I'm on about.

I think it was the graphics, radio and weapon sounds, were just spot on. I still prefer OFP's graphics to ArmA/ArmA II's, as OFP had BEAUTY, something I don't think I have seen the likes of in any other game ever released, including ArmA. I'm off to fire up OFP right this second! :bounce3:

I do. For me, OFP was so great because it was simple. ArmA 2's new features are great too, but a lot of times I feel that they distract you from the fun. Part of the feeling you get when playing OFP, at least the way I played it, was using your imagination. Sometimes it's more fun to fill in the missing details in your head than on screen. I mean, yea you knew there wasn't actually a whole army of Russians after you, but it sure felt like it.

I find that in ArmA and ArmA 2, being in a modern setting, you have usually have a lot more intel, and the "unknown" factor is a lot less. OFP had a lot of missions where you usually ended up alone, surrounded by enemies, and not sure what the hell was going on. ArmA and ArmA 2 had more structured missions, and usually plenty of assurance and guidance from your allies and HQ.

Im my ideal world, BIS would remake OFP on the current engine build, adding some features (new AI, vehicle simulation, environment, etc.) from the current build, but sticking to the OFP story and content. I know, it sounds like what I want is CWR right? Actually, I think that BIS should return to the OFP setting as a starting point, and further develop and really just polish the game.

What do I mean? Well, a more realistic and configurable vehicle damage/destruction is an example of a feature that's been wanted for a long time, and is still missing. Now we have so many new features in ArmA 2 that all the features from OFP that were in need of work have had all this stuff piled on top of it, so that the end result is a quite large pile of half complete features. So, they'd go back to OFP's simplicity, and really polish those core gameplay mechanics and features, and THEN continue making games in different settings.

Unfortunately, that's just my ideal world, and I know that's not what's going to bring in the cash for BIS. They have no choice but to keep moving forward... No time to look back.

Part of the feeling you get when playing OFP, at least the way I played it, was using your imagination. Sometimes it's more fun to fill in the missing details in your head than on screen. I mean, yea you knew there wasn't actually a whole army of Russians after you, but it sure felt like it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Man are we sad? Is this where we should be taking a good hard look at ourselves? :p

I just had to. lol :yay:

[imghttp://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/NZXSHADOWS/Misc/Ooops.jpgIMG]

Unimpressive... you're missing one:

Fairytalebx.jpg

How can you even attempt to call yourself a true fan?

/sarcasm

I still play since ofp came out, didnt have internet in the begining so I wasnt a part of the community and had to download addons in a internet cafe :biggrin: nice collection by the way, would you mind to give me some? :D

hello my name is zigzag and im an flashoholic.

I have been hooked on these games since 2001.

@NZXSHADOWS wish I had your collection. What are those cd cases of flashpoint and resistance?

mine are dvd cases.

@NZXSHADOWS wish I had your collection. What are those cd cases of flashpoint and resistance?

mine are dvd cases.

Well back then most pc games where jewel cases in a big ass box here in the US. Dunno where your from. But I think we been ripped. Ive broken lots of jewels case on games. Id killed for a dvd case.

Well back then most pc games where jewel cases in a big ass box here in the US. Dunno where your from. But I think we been ripped. Ive broken lots of jewels case on games. Id killed for a dvd case.

Same here.

As kids, we went often to pc games shops just to look at the shelves and dream about the games we could not afford. One day, there was some kind of demo playing on the monitors-some trailer of operation flashpoint. In a second, I knew I have to get it. After several months of every-coin-sparing, we went there and bought it. It was like a dream, because until then I've been playing demo almost every day, and looked forward to the retail version. Even now I remember the last mission i cwr, destroying the scuds, the feeling of an actuall battle-all of those at bloody 5 fps on our celeron 500mhz with some Ati-rage-crap graphics card.

I've played a lot single player and coop maps with my brother, but never tried multiplayer for more than like 5 minutes-after "wtf is ACE? how do I install it? where can I get a weapon? What have I to do here anyway? ok ok lets get back to single player" :) Maybe, now is the time..

Still proudly flying as a seagull!!!

:p

Same here, since 2001 !