Sign in to follow this  
nettrucker

How many of you old OFP Veterans are still playing BIS games?

OFP Resistance and GOTY! Totally Rocks!!

Arma, Arma2, OFP DR (well, that last one isn't BIS), they never really beat the original. Not even close. OFP1 is still at the top of my favorites and playing a lot of times a week. Especially with a bunch of friends on LAN. Totally Priceless!

Been playing the series since I was 13. :)

I still miss OFP's pvp community, I had some great games and delicious drama there.

I am a player in a far country you can't imagine.

I don't like to tell it, so don't ask me please.

my country's language isn't English.

believe me! OFP is the best game ever. and it is more than just a game.

in my country, I think there are very few ofp players ever.

and probably I am the only one with considerable experience and familiarity with it (that is needed for discovering and loving it) and knowing its potentials and the only one who played it via the internet (recently).

BTW I am a philosophical lover of the free software too; apparently a very unrelated field and matter!

but I always wished if such perfect things in the world were all free software too.

free software is special, again, with special talents needed to understand and love it.

very great and special useful things should be shared with all the humanity to spreed and last at the most possible extent.

if this game be shared this way, its users will grow rapidly and it will be the dominant game in the GNU/Linux and free software world. it will not die too soon! and maybe it will have a resurrection for a new life that deserves it.

it should be more than just another commercial and proprietary product in the hands of a few.

and its programmers deserve more fame and respect.

anyway, that was a personal opinion/desire I didn't dare to tell or request until now.

you can ignore it if it is too unrelated and nonsense.

thanks, and please tell my English mistakes to make my English better.

I am a player in a far country you can't imagine.

I don't like to tell it, so don't ask me please.

my country's language isn't English.

in my country, I think there are very few ofp players ever.

and probably I am the only one with considerable experience and familiarity with it (that is needed for discovering and loving it) and knowing its potentials and the only one who played it via the internet (recently).

Hello Kim Jong Il, didn't know you were a fan of the series. :)

Sneaky, cough wheeze still active, still on the front lines..:P hi to jeftek :)

Hi mate, first post since 2005 eh :D Hope all is well and good to see you around still!

Ofp is and always will be my classic game till death do we part! Nothing i have played since comes close!

OFP:CWC Demo (and the one hex-hacked, user made demo map) were played for WEEKS! Trying out new things, exploring. Since 2001, and still going strong!

:D

Hello Kim Jong Il, didn't know you were a fan of the series. :)

hi.

I am not Korean.

---------- Post added at 03:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

if I wrote a tutorial in my language for the game, it gained popularity.

this is a game needing a tutor.

also mission editing is a precious capability that needs to be introduced well.

it could be a universal game for many years.

Been playing since the first day the OFP demo was released...I still remember the speech been given on the truck as your driving towards the town, you disembark, through the forest, bullets flying everywhere and then out rolls the bmp and bang I am dead as I try and get up and retreat back over the hill. First game to give me the feeling of light armor almost like a predatory animal.

Also remember the really annoying american cowboy voice " DAMN 6 IS DOWN, I SAY AGAAAAIN, 6 IS DOWN. OVER"

Best gaming experience I ever had!

later, after playing all missions several times, I also UnPBO'ed its missions and modified and played them many more times!

although, specially I loved search and destroy mission and played it much more.

sometimes I placed opposing forces of different kinds and scenarios on the map and I just hide in a high place with glass, sniper rifle, or RPG and watch the battle; sometimes engaging in it (taking enemies by sniper rifle, rpg, or grenade launcher)

it was a good free military movie to watch!

and I shouldn't forget the mission editor!

I created many transient missions and played them.

the game is almost endless thanks to the amazing mission editing feature.

(...) BTW I am a philosophical lover of the free software too; apparently a very unrelated field and matter!

but I always wished if such perfect things in the world were all free software too.

free software is special, again, with special talents needed to understand and love it.

very great and special useful things should be shared with all the humanity to spreed and last at the most possible extent.

if this game be shared this way, its users will grow rapidly and it will be the dominant game in the GNU/Linux and free software world. it will not die too soon! and maybe it will have a resurrection for a new life that deserves it.

it should be more than just another commercial and proprietary product in the hands of a few.

and its programmers deserve more fame and respect.

anyway, that was a personal opinion/desire I didn't dare to tell or request until now.

you can ignore it if it is too unrelated and nonsense.

thanks, and please tell my English mistakes to make my English better.

I share your points and philosophy on BI games.

I am also an opensource-enthusiast.

I am also - under a different name - multiplaying OF, Armed Assault and Arma2 since 2001/02 and enthusiastically.

But I can understand BI not to publish their games as Opensource-Software, simply because they need the money to exist and develop. I don't really believe the same money can be gained by just counselling projects with the real life military - what else could they do?

There is another benefit for us also:

They keep the community closer together.

Think of all the different Linux distributions ... :-( ...

We urgently need a "defragmenter" here ... Ubuntu's Mark Shuttleworth is trying hard....

And: Does not Arma2 include licensed material from third parties? Who should pay those third parties if you make it Open Source? Those third parties would even be a strict hindrance for they would not want their software to be Open Source for they maybe very specialized.

(I think it lies again in the nature of such open (-minded) community to be in rage :mad: about anything not perfectly done by BI or, more important, not programmed at the taste of the very person who wants a certain feature/bug to be different - for they are sometimes really close to be able to do it themselves. At last easily feel so ... after some scripting success .. .. :o )

I think their projects with rea life military would sharply end if they published the source code - for those organizations then would hire people to "form" it all the way they want - by their own people.

Last but - not at all - least:

I love the fact that BI games are in fact ssssooo :) open for community mods, addons, missions etc. etc. - perhaps this already given vast openess makes BI games so attractive to people with a free philosophy, for technicians, for people who studied informatics or Opensource-Enthusiasts.

Edited by Herbal Influence

Still playing it, played all the versions since OFP came out. Didn't like ArmA I much but really enjoying ArmA II with some of my friends :)

I share your points and philosophy on BI games.

I am also an opensource-enthusiast.

I am also - under a different name - multiplaying OF, Armed Assault and Arma2 since 2001/02 and enthusiastically.

glad to know you.

But I can understand BI not to publish their games as Opensource-Software, simply because they need the money to exist and develop. I don't really believe the same money can be gained by just counselling projects with the real life military - what else could they do?

I thought they have earned enough money for the rest of their life :D

Think of all the different Linux distributions ... :-( ...

can you explain more explicitly please?

And: Does not Arma2 include licensed material from third parties? Who should pay those third parties if you make it Open Source? Those third parties would even be a strict hindrance for they would not want their software to be Open Source for they maybe very specialized.

you are right.

but regarding the money part, free software and open source community can pay enough (via volunteers and officially) if a company announces such a plan and requests money.

(I think it lies again in the nature of such open (-minded) community to be in rage :mad: about anything not perfectly done by BI or, more important, not programmed at the taste of the very person who wants a certain feature/bug to be different - for they are sometimes really close to be able to do it themselves. At last easily feel so ... after some scripting success .. .. :o )

indeed its a moral issue in the first place. a social problem. a philosophical and political decision.

free software says not to use, advertise for, or collaborate in any proprietary software.

I think open source programmers can modify it, upgrade it, and base many other games (that we have lake of in free software world) on it.

but probably it would be a danger for the proprietary game software business.

I think their projects with rea life military would sharply end if they published the source code - for those organizations then would hire people to "form" it all the way they want - by their own people.

probably.

I love the fact that BI games are in fact ssssooo :) open for community mods, addons, missions etc. etc. - perhaps this already given vast openess makes BI games so attractive to people with a free philosophy, for technicians, for people who studied informatics or Opensource-Enthusiasts.

I agree with you absolutely.

Edited by OFP Lover

can you explain more explicitly please?

Quote from Herbals post:

"Think of all the different Linux distributions ... :-( ... "

The Linux-issue:

Right now if you want Linux-Users to easily be able to install your software (with mouseclick) you have to deliver about a four different versions to cover the most important Linux-distributions (Debian, Ubuntu, Mandrake, SuSe, ... ).

Sure you can also just deliver the source code - but it is not as easy to install, gotta be compiled before etc.

I believe I got OFP for christmas the winter after it came out. I played the SP demo for about 3 months before that and loved every second of it. I enjoyed finding new ways to beat the mission like RPGing the tank crews afrer stealing the jeep. One of the best games I have ever played, if not the best. I got RH, Res, ArmA I, QG and ArmA II as well although ArmA II doesn't run well for me. I still plan on buying OA though.

The Linux-issue:

Right now if you want Linux-Users to easily be able to install your software (with mouseclick) you have to deliver about a four different versions to cover the most important Linux-distributions (Debian, Ubuntu, Mandrake, SuSe, ... ).

Sure you can also just deliver the source code - but it is not as easy to install, gotta be compiled before etc.

it is the Linux programmers' duty to port the game into linux.

and every distro has its own staff too.

we need only the full source code (+documentations) and a free software/open source compatible license.

I have just come back to Arma after a short absence (and i loved OFP, but hardly played it online).

I've just picked up Arma2 as well, but think i'll stay with arma1 as most of my friends dont have a pc that can run arma2 yet :(

As many have said, nothing has ever come close to keeping me away for longer than a month.

BI games have the longevity that many other games lack.

Pluss where else can you blow up a cow with c4?

Playing BIS games since 2003. It sucks though that there was no big PVP community since ArmA release... Good old Hexenkessel days :shoot:

Hey Jef ;)

To the OP, DK (Dragon-Knights) are still active and have been since 2001. We have gone through OFP, Arma and are now playing Arma 2. Probably one of the longest running squads that are still around from those days. ;)

hehe, #DK# clan, always had fun playing against #DK# clan members :)

Edited by USSRsniper

I started playing ofp in 2002 :)

Even today we still play OFP:R with my friends

still playing ArmA/ArmA II, but OFP last time played ~ 2006/07

I remember when i first played OFP it was on a demo cd from a copy of PC Gamer magazine.

Started with OFP end of June '01, joined the forum in October.

Playing ArmA2 nowadays, but not as often as I'd like to :rolleyes:

Played it from about a month after it came out.

Joined the forums after becoming frustrated that the addon I wanted wasn't being made. Even made a couple of missions that I submitted at OFPEC. :D

Acquired VBS2 later on.

Still here, still loving the games, still modding. Still not having enough time to actually play/make missions. :(

I'm still finding time every so often to play.

I'll admit, I don't stray outside of BIS to play military simulators.

So far, OFP has been uninstalled but I keep Arma/2 for when I have time.

haven't posted on the forums in awhile.

Been playing ofp since 2001. Now playing Arma2.

Still a big BIS fanboy