Sign in to follow this  
Zipper5

Lest we forget...

World_Trade_Center_Viewed_in_the_Morning_New_York_City.jpg

Can't believe it's been 8 years already...

R.I.P.

Unfortunately, a dark hour like so many in the history of mankind. But this one I witnessed directly on the TV.

I'll never forget the sensation of unbelieving when I saw the first tower fall. And all those people jumping... :(

RIP

Fucking terrorists and conspiracy idiots (which are mostly proven wrong)

Will never be forgotten. Seems like only a short while ago. Hard to believe its been 8 yrs already.

Was at a friend playing OFP when this happed, could not believe it was real at first.

STGN

I watch this in TV,iam eating food that time.

Taliban an Al Quidea now counting there days.

There was some TV show I always used to watch when I came home from school, can't remember what it was. I came in and turned on the television and the news was on the channel. However, I thought it was a movie and was initially rather pissed off that my favorite show had been canceled. It was only when I started turning from channel to channel and saw it was everywhere did I realize what was going on.

There was some TV show I always used to watch when I came home from school, can't remember what it was. I came in and turned on the television and the news was on the channel. However, I thought it was a movie and was initially rather pissed off that my favorite show had been canceled. It was only when I started turning from channel to channel and saw it was everywhere did I realize what was going on.

A very similar thing in my case too, I was just watching a show when my sister stampeded into the room and changed the channel. Took me a couple of minutes to realise it was for real, and it was live.

Edited by MehMan

Was similar for me. Came home from school, turned on the TV just in time for my show - and there was a news special about a "horrible accident" in NYC. It was on every channel. After the second plane hit, a friend called me and I went round to his place to watch the news. By the time I got there, the first tower had already collapsed... and we were talking about how it was going to be "OMG the beginning of world war 3!!!", etc.

Pretty strange how clearly I can remember that day.

We moved into a new apartment a couple of months ago and on the wall of the living room is a huge 8ftx15ft photo of the New York skyline at night, pre September 11, I often find myself staring at the twin towers.

I was in NYC in October just after it happened. We came across Ground Zero by accident. I remember the smell and seeing the remains of the towers. Missing posters were all over the site and Grand Central. I will never forget that.

I was also in NYC earlier this year and visited the 9/11 remembrance which was next to a fire station with memorials, and the NYPD museum which had a section dedicated to 9/11. It was very touching.

Never forget.

Me and my family were actually there. Well...visiting my mums sister and family in Rye, Conneticuit. We're were all planning to head into the city early that morning to go up the twin towers before the queues and heat got too much. Thankfully my nan, rest her soul, overslept so by the time everyone was ready to leave, we saw it on the news.

We had a walk down to Playland, an old theme park (seen in BIG with Tom Hanks) and you could see smoke from the site. Bad times.

:(

There were two planes. You all saw them. Now get over it.

Now don't be a flamebaiting jackass.

I can't believe it is already 8 years, i remember so clearly the news report starting on TV just after the 1st plane hit one of the tower, then during the news report we watched live the 2nd plane hitting the other tower.

So many innocent civilians, plane passengers and various firefighters and people coming to help that died this day ...

Sheez, remember that morning like it was yesterday. Was getting ready for my morning client as a Personal Trainer, when I saw what they thought was a small commuter plane hit the towers - then boom, on live tv the second one hit... Was driving to the gym in disbelief when I heard that the Pentagon was hit and thats when I thought this was the beginning of the end. Got to the gym and all members were staring up at the tv, open mouth in total disbelief. Right then, my shallow, extravagently rich client comes up to me to complain that my workouts were too tough... You can imagine where I told her to stick her complaint.

R.I.P

Edited by froggyluv

I will never forget this, just like my grandfather never forgets Pearl Harbor. Al Qaeda and Taliban are near their end. The Taliban are near their own little civil war with their leader killed in a UAV Missile strike. While Al Qaeda has been reported recruiting cripples as suicide bombers.

Hopefully in the future when the war is just a part of history we can say the people who were brutally murdered in 9/11's name didn't die in vein.

I slept through most of it. I was awakened by what I thought was a clap of thunder, but later realized was a sonic boom (the flight path of some of the F-15s took them over my area.) Then I spent the rest of the day watching CNN.

It was a pretty terrible event. I just wish that the Bush administration hadn't mismanaged the reaction to it and turned the initial international goodwill back into international hatred toward us.

I'm watching it on the History channel. They had video from several different cameras and showed the clips in chronological order. It's very sad. :(

EDIT: I should have added that there is no narrator and no commercials, Just two hours of raw footage.

Edited by Praelium

There were two planes. You all saw them. Now get over it.

Now don't be a flamebaiting jackass.

Sorry....who are you refering to??

I'd like to add this:

On the night of 9/11, I remember watching CNN and seeing footage from places like Paris, London, and Berlin. I grew up in the '80s. I sort of took it as a given that Europeans generally hated the US (and Americans) for plunging them headlong into the Cold War (and more specifically for events like Vietnam and Grenada... to name a couple.) I grew up respecting my country's accomplishments on one hand, but feeling ashamed when viewed through the lens of European criticism on the other. I actually had a Czechoslovak teacher in third grade that spent 30 minutes telling my class how inferior Americans were to the communists one day--it didn't really have much effect on me until I was much older, but it definitely influenced the way that I viewed my country.

But on 9/11, it didn't matter. Something terrible had happened, and I realized that everyone--British, French, Spanish, Czech, German, Belgian, Italian, Lithuanian, and more--had forgotten about history. They, like me, were watching their TVs and trying to understand why--and how--something like that could happen. For the first time in my life, I didn't feel ashamed to be American. I felt a kinship with the world. I thought that maybe we'd all be able to put our differences aside and come up for a solution to this terrible problem.

But that didn't happen. And it makes me angry that my country ruined that goodwill. I don't want to turn the thread into a discussion about that, but I do want to thank you people from around the world for your initial goodwill. It was incredible for this American to see, and it's something that I will never forget.

I hope that someday we can return to that state--albeit it under better circumstances.

I sort of took it as a given that Europeans generally hated the US (and Americans) for plunging them headlong into the Cold War (and more specifically for events like Vietnam and Grenada... to name a couple.) I grew up respecting my country's accomplishments on one hand, but feeling ashamed when viewed through the lens of European criticism on the other. I actually had a Czechoslovak teacher in third grade that spent 30 minutes telling my class how inferior Americans were to the communists one day--it didn't really have much effect on me until I was much older, but it definitely influenced the way that I viewed my country.

Definitely not. That's not something I have came across. Most Europeans are Pro-American and if there is some negativity it is probably due to political factors ie the Germans and French are interested in a Europe as a world player next to the US (whereas the UK and some other European countries aren't interested in that). Otherwise, vast majority of Europeans like the US which is why US films and food and so on are popular here.