Sign in to follow this  
t_d

ResLodRemover & MipMapRemover

Some people wanted to have these tools, which were created for kju's PROPER vegetation pack and so I release them now to public.

- ResLodRemover:

This tool can delete resolution LODs from binarized p3d (ODOL) files.

ResLodRemover Download @ DevHeaven

ResLodRemover @ armaholic

- MipMapRemover:

This tool can delete single Mipmaps from paa files.

MipMapRemover Download @ DevHeaven

MipMapRemover @ armaholic

Both tools need .NET Framework 3.5.

Bugs, wishes, ideas etc. can be posted via ticket here: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/tdt/issues

Edited by T_D
added mirrors

Pmed Foxhound ;)

This is great however, I've been trying to remove all the LODs except the most detailed one. Used the ResLODRemover.exe on de-pbo'd plants2_Tree p3d files only to find that I'm getting errors when I put the file back up to pbo.

Even though the file is there I'm getting t_betula2s.p3d not found. Is the problem that I haven't used the mipmap remover as well ?

Any help? Or even better anyone been able to convert all these trees etc to only having the most detailed LOD ?

No you dont need the MipMapRemover. The error doesn't look like the p3d is corrupt but simply not found. But not completely sure what the cause is.

Why would I want to delete resolution lods or mipmaps? (the problem with many addons was that they had bad ones, or none at all, so why remove things that help performance :confused: )

Why would I want to delete resolution lods or mipmaps? (the problem with many addons was that they had bad ones, or none at all, so why remove things that help performance :confused: )

Mipmap removal could be helpful with airplane cockpits, so that players with low settings could navigate solely by airplane instruments. It's at least something I wanted in arma2 from start.

I can remove the first LODs for my laptop. That way I gain some needed FPS so I can make missions while away from home. As one example.

Can someone help me? I just can't get this tools to work, it always says that an error occured and had to shut it down. What do i do wrong?

Does the same if i just run the exe without arguments or with arguments, the problem is the same.

Do you have .NET Framework 3.5? Did you read the readme, there are some example calls. ResLodRemover always needs 4 arguments.

yes i installed .net framework 3.5, though there was an error during install on vista, but installed it on xp too. Tried with the examples from the readme, but it's still the same error. Maybe i have to put the tools in a special directory? just put the reslodthing in root\arma2mod\reslodremover

No the tools don't need to be in a special folder. Just make sure the Bis.dll is in the same folder as the tool. Furthermore try to execute the tool from console so you could see an exception error message if there is any that could help me to help you.

here is the error message in command prompt, sorry i use hungarian windows...

G:\arma2mod\plants2_bush>reslodremover b_betulaHumilis.p3d b_betulahumilis_redux

ed.p3d 0 1

Nem kezelt kivétel: System.Exception: ODOL signature expected.

a következő helyen: BIS.ODOL40..ctor(String file)

a következő helyen: ResLodRemover.Program.Main(String[] args)

Ah ok problem seems clear now. ResLodRemover only works with binarized p3ds (ODOL format). Your p3ds are probably in MLOD format. In this case you can use O² to remove LODs.

Ah ok problem seems clear now. ResLodRemover only works with binarized p3ds (ODOL format). Your p3ds are probably in MLOD format. In this case you can use O² to remove LODs.

Uhm, okay thanks, not really sure what odol and mlod means but i try to understand what it is. Thanks again.

Hi guys, I'm pretty new at all this, so be nice please?

I'm having issues running this ResLODRemover program, it keeps bombing out and stops responding, any idea as to why? I am running Win7 64bit, and have tried various compatability modes as well as the various available BIS.dll available, with no success, I do have the relevent .net framework installed as well, and no matter what, It keeps on doing the same thing.

Also I have two questions: 1: Will it be compatable with A3??? Our group (clan/unit/whatever you want to call it) have a few guys running A3 on laptops or somewhat dated hardware, and since ArmA prefers to use the highest LOD anyways regardless of low or Ultra settings, this in turn creates a very disturbing and distracting popping effect thats way more noticable than the higher settings, and of course, for low end settings, it will aid them much in terms of not having to display the full high detail models that hog the much needed screenspace for a more consistent look, which is no use currently running in anything lower than high setting since everything at a distance is a mess... Ofcourse, I would have wished for BIS to actually make this a vanilla thing, but for some reason low end machines just have to suffer and "deal" with it. So will this tool work for A3 models as well?

Lastly, Theres Parralax mapping effect on the ground, looks horrible with the warping effect and bet that eats unnecessary performance too, once again, would wish BIS to make an option in video options to disable this layer on the texture, unfortunately not. So there must be some hight map that can be removed yeah? I assume mipmapremover can do that, am I right to assume that?