Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

Why in the world....

On a sidenote, please make the thread titles more descriptive next time, like

"Why does my game gain FPS with Anti Aliasing enabled?"

Because this general forum is already a big enough pain to read as it is. :D

Edited by sparks50

I don't think I can sparks50.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

How much do you guys think I could overclock my Athlon X2 5600+ 2.8GHz? It's not a black edition, so it's multiplier is 'locked'. I've got the stock heatsink/fan on board.

To those getting a huge FPS hit when AA is enabled:

Make sure Transparency AA (Nvidia) or Adaptive AA (ATI) is off. The huge amount of vegetation which has to use transparent textures makes those features hit FPS hard.

I have an ATI HD4870 1GB. I run fillrate optimiser in 125% and AA on low. The fillrate at least helps vegetation and other transparent textures look sharper without having as much of a hit as transparency AA. My monitor resolution is only 1440x900 though so those with bigger monitors might have to do with fillrate at 100% instead.

I don't gain any FPS but there is no performance impact with it on...

What kind of AA performs better? Box, Narrow-tent etc etc?

Box has the lowest number of samples, so it should perform the best.

Why in the world does my game gain FPS with Anti Aliasing enabled? I've never seen this in any game, not even in ArmA 1.

The answer could simply be that anti-aliasing disables something else. I know that geforce cards have had problems combining HDR and AA in some games. It's possible that some of the HDR features get disabled when you turn on AA, hence you get a higher frame rate.

Ah, so its the GeForce owners getting this, all becomes clear.

Just to check, no ATI people here having the same thing?

Just to check, no ATI people here having the same thing?

HD 4870 1GB here, definite FPS drop.

I seem to recall in ArmA1 there were situations when going to certain higher settings the performance your PC would go up (on some PCs). This was due to a different rendering methodology being used for the higher settings (cannot remember which ones specifically). Perhaps this is true of ArmA2 as well.

I seem to recall in ArmA1 there were situations when going to certain higher settings the performance your PC would go up (on some PCs). This was due to a different rendering methodology being used for the higher settings (cannot remember which ones specifically). Perhaps this is true of ArmA2 as well.

Shadows, high settings gives you soft shadows which are rendered by your GPU, thus giving you a higher FPS when you are limited by your CPU.

Shadows, high settings gives you soft shadows which are rendered by your GPU, thus giving you a higher FPS when you are limited by your CPU.

I don't have any soft shadows even when my shadows are set to "Very High". Wtf is with that?

I don't have any soft shadows even when my shadows are set to "Very High". Wtf is with that?

Oh, well maybe they arent called soft, i am talking about those blocky shadows which you get on high/very high. Except for your own character in first person. :p

Oh, well maybe they arent called soft, i am talking about those blocky shadows which you get on high/very high. Except for your own character in first person. :p

Those are pretty much the opposite of soft shadows lol. I want soft shadows... :(

Those are pretty much the opposite of soft shadows lol. I want soft shadows... :(

I thought they are just really low-res soft shadows? :confused:

What...?

I thought they are just really low-res soft shadows? :confused:

They are very low quality normal shadows. Why does this happen actually? On low the shadows look better than on high...

Some things still look like they're rendered using stencils - for example the mountain bike's shadow is not animated (shadow's wheels do not move).

Setting shadows=normal in OA gives me ugly blocky shadows, like big boxes on the ground. Setting them to High looks good.