Sign in to follow this  
Raunhofer

The best way to add roads?

Bad that noone ever createt a WrpEdit similiar Road tool.

Im not familiar with this stuff but wouldent it be possible to create a tool that can atleast draw some roads and export them into a roadnetwork.txt?

I'm a tool maker. *Might* be something I can do, but suspect theres 2 much 3d maths for my liking.

Whats a "roadnetwork.txt" look like?

I suspect if you give every "Road" segement a set of parameters like;

- relative X and Y position for road entry center

- a vector/angle relate to which the prior road segment lines up

- relative X and Y position for road exit center

- a vector/angle relate to which the next road segment lines up

With such a tool you could generate a large road. But the biggest problem is it would be trial and error, back and forth between the tool and Visitor to "test" the roads.

Gnat;1437283']I'm a tool maker. *Might* be something I can do' date=' but suspect theres 2 much 3d maths for my liking.

Whats a "roadnetwork.txt" look like?

.[/quote']

export txt result from a smal roadnetwork:

| ca\roads\sil12
| ca\roads\sil12
) ca\roads\sil10 25
) ca\roads\sil10 25
| ca\roads\sil12
| ca\roads\sil12

2x Straight 2x Left 2x Straight

Even with only few road types you could save some time in road creation.

Optimal solution would be a tool that allows you to import small sattexture then you can draw the network on in.

Edited by Atsche

Yeah thats a cool idea. You wouldn't even need crappy V3 to create roads, merely just for the import at right coordinates where each road starts.

Edited by IceBreakr

Optimal solution would be a tool that allows you to import small sattexture then you can draw the network on in.

For Visitor or WRPedit? You can already do that in Visitor.

I don't know what all this fuss is about. My roads were missing textures so all I did was copy the data folder and de-binarized config from roads2 and put them in with the objects bis provided and used the same method for adding roads as in arma1. Gets the job done even if it isn't the prettiest UI in the world. This thread is confusing :\

@Waterman: Its possible in all Editors but in WRP Edit you have a conformable 3dview and able to move mapwindow and cams.

Simple tool what i meant was something like this.

Clipboard0211.jpg

Edited by Atsche

I added a road as mentioned in the PDF on the first page of the thread, and I am getting the following error when I load bulldozer:

"{error} LandGrid reference exceeded the range [1023,1023], it is [1360,1672]"

I imported a 2048x2048 png, terrain cell size 10, terrain size 20480 satellite grid 496

XYZ is terrain format, we were talking about roads.

I have no clue how to import something to visitor which would be ready to be use roads or that it would somehow generate them. That information I'm looking for here.

That is exacally what I told you, Global Mapper is the perfered tool for VBS2. The same applies to Arma/2.

Terrain generator>Global Mapper>Visitor>Game

Like I said, for VBS2 Landbuilder is available which makes the inbetween much easier for road laying but it's still possible without.

Vandrel, could you briefly describe the process for using global mapper to create road networks, and how to transfer it into Visitor? It would be much appreciated.

I think this is what we have to do, share roads networks in a .txt modify and adapt it to our own maps. Make like a "template" data base of roads network just an idea...

I added a road as mentioned in the PDF on the first page of the thread, and I am getting the following error when I load bulldozer:

"{error} LandGrid reference exceeded the range [1023,1023], it is [1360,1672]"

Is this during the smooting of the road ?

Alphons

From what I can tell from the VBS2 Dev Ref, all of the relevant coding for road placement is done with Land Builder, not Global Mapper or Visitor, so it would be up to the public to write a tool which can replicate Land Builder's Road Placer module (converts vector shapefiles to road networks file... probably not an easy task).

Oh well.

Edited by Homer Johnston

I found out that some roads will not work proper with way i explain in the pdf, it seems that we have more pieces these days.

So from 1 road type not all pieces are usable in the road tool of visitor(my pdf manual way), i'm at the office so i have no samples here, but there are road pieces that end with a 1000, some bigger number then other pieces, these pieces wont close together nicely, they can not be used with th road tool from visitor, if i'm correct there is only 3 straight parts, 3 curved parts and 1 endpart, maybe it also has 1 special part(crossroads mainly).

So when you set up the tool and insert the parts, you only have to select 3 straight parts, 3 curved parts and 1 end part. The tool will itself fix the curved parts to be for left or right turns.

I will write the correct names when i'm home.

For instance of the roads called "asf2" from the roads2 folder you can only use :

* asf2_10 25.p3d

* asf2_10 50.p3d

* asf2_10 75.p3d (curved parts)

* asf2_6.p3d

* asf2_12.p3d

* afs2_25.p3d (straight parts)

* asf2_6konec.p3d (end part)

* asf2_6_crosswalk.p3d (cross roads special part)

All other parts of the asf2 road are not usable in the road tool of visitor, the parts wont fit nicely to the other part.

Later

Later,

Allie

Edited by Alliexx

Does anyone know how to replace p3ds for road objects? I would for example like to replace \ca\roads\sil10 100.p3d with \ca\roads2\asf2_10 100.p3d but crappy V3 doesn't allow it. So basically I have to export all road networks, find&replace and import them again? Not to mention that default terminator (beginnings and ends of roads) cannot be replaced and you have to delete old and make new terminators :)

Kju: does any of Mikero's tools replace this "Roads Network" settings in pew file?

How do you guys smooth the runway ?

Do you make a temporary road, do an overlay of your runway and then smoothen it ?

I tried to make a road out of runway parts, but this does not seems to smoothen at all, so i'm now using just a big piece of road to overlay over the runway, but the problem is that my runway needs to be 120% of the real size, so its quite big, just a road does not cover the whole runway, so some parts(the sides) are not smoothened.

I can not build a road with pieces other then normal size.

I tried to use the terrain vertices from visitor to level the area, but also this is not smooth enough for takeoffs with a plane (gear will get damaged when taking off).

So i was just wondering how you guys have done it, or planning on doing it.

Thanks,

Alphons

NOTE: my road smoothing works perfect, its just the runways, i'm still searching for a good alternative to smoothen that.

My next idea is to create some custom road parts, in the size of a runway part, with ogygen, and then use those parts to make a temporary smooth road piece.

Edited by Alliexx

...there is a edit vertices script with visitor. You can make a completely flat (with constant height) or even little bumpy area with it. Its not very comfortable but it works....and needs testing and playing around..

Edited by Beton

Yeah just use vertices option and flatten the runway, you can leave it a bit bumpy on some remote location runways ;)

also its cool to use invisible road for runways for unpaved ones, so you can gain speed with big planes.

Anyway, any replies to my 09:59 AM post? :)

Hey all,

Sorry Icebreakr, i have no answer to your question about replacing objects.

But i have again a question about the invisible roads, do you lay them with the road tool or are you just place them as artificial objects manually ?

Thanks

Later,

Allie

doesn't matter, AI take offs and lands only looking at coordinates set in config (we still don't have a tool for that).

Update:

I hex edited PEW file to make my new roads since V3 is incapable to edit them in "Roads..." menu. Now I can quickly change p3ds (even A2 roads2) ;)

Too bad BIS didn't include bridges compatible with old materials, new bridges are practically useless.

Edited by IceBreakr

Hey all,

What ivisible part do you guys use ?

The part from roads or the part from roads2 ?

Thanks

Allie

I'm back at the office so i can't do anything, but still i have this burning question. Yesterday i noticed that the ivisi parts from roads2 are really small or some, i didn't get it to work, so now today i'm thinking, in the roads folder is a ivisible part too, i did use that one in an island i once made for arma1, i think that one will work.

But please elaborate with me.

Thanks,

Allie

Alliexx: well, as I said before - I'l use my ibr_rn.pbo (rn= road network) where i have a nice compilation of bridges/runways/roads from A1 & A2. Are there really only 3 road bridges in A2?? Well, my map features this "elevated highway" seen

so I have to use custom A1 stuff that BIS left out in A2 :/