Sign in to follow this  
CaptainBravo

Armed UAV Unmanned Air Vehicle ?

I have searched but could not find a topic where you can arm a UAV and get it to fire on enemy while on patrol?

Is that possible?

Thanks for your help.

Hm, the UAV got 4 rockets by default but the player has to fire them manually, i guess. At least, i never saw a bot controlled firing UAV...

I was hoping there was a script that gets AI to fire them on their own once enemy is discovered.

I'm not sure, but try this:

unit fire ["launcherUAV"]

For F-35 and A-10 works this:

unit fire ["launcherF35"]

unit fire ["launcherA10"]

EDIT:

well maybe works it for UAV too...

If I were in your shoes, I unPBO the air.pbo and find the UAV and open his config and search for the string "launch"... You will find the correct launcher name.

Edited by bardosy

Thanks bardosy.

Like you said, it seems I will have to unpbo UAV and find the launcher name as nothing else seems to work.

The question is would it fire on infantry of just vehicles?

Thanks.

Neighter. It just fire the weapon, but don't aim. It's your job to aim the weapon.

I try to explain by an example.

I needed an areal bombing and I setup a F-35 flying over the area. And I create a trigger, if it is in the firezon, the trigger fires F-35's bombing weapon with the above command. So it's just release the bomb, but don't target anything...

I was hoping the AI use the UAV. Could the UAV target and fire on enemy infantry,vehicles on its own (like PMC appache which fires on infantry) ?

It is a shame because AI controlled UAV would add new depth to game.

Edited by CaptainBravo

I don't know.

I advise:

1., check what PMC apache do in the script and write your own for UAV.

2., ask SnakeMan (or who created PMC apache).

Thanks. I will get in touch with snakeman for tips on how to edit UAV.

Thanks again for your help.

Have a look at the config of the UAV. Depending on what it actually inherits from maybe the simplest method could be to just replace the model=""; line with the modelname for the UAV in a new custom config class that inherits from let`s say an a10 plane class.

That way the you would have a normal plane AI simulation using the UAV model and it`s weapons which you can also assign in the config.

Not 100% sure if it works, but you can try.

it depends on how your using the UAV. If you have it set up to where YOU can view the camera. (UAV Module, synchronized to you,terminal,UAV) then no, the "gunner" that you remote control will not fire on anything without you actually clicking the fire button.

Now, if you place a UAV in the editor, flying with a pilot, and a gunner. It acts just like a plane.

thanks for your response. Silly question but how do you get AI UAV flying with a pilot, and a gunner :confused:

Neighter. It just fire the weapon, but don't aim. It's your job to aim the weapon.

I try to explain by an example.

I needed an areal bombing and I setup a F-35 flying over the area. And I create a trigger, if it is in the firezon, the trigger fires F-35's bombing weapon with the above command. So it's just release the bomb, but don't target anything...

Hi mate, may I ask you a step-to-step guide on how you went about doing that please? Thanks :)

I would imagin .. place a trig and group it with plane present. When plane flys through trig it activates. In trig activation field put:

unit fire ["launcherF35"] Have not tested it but I think that is how it is done.

Hi mate, may I ask you a step-to-step guide on how you went about doing that please? Thanks :)

It's much more fun, if you write the on activation field this:

[] exec "quickbomb.sqs"

and create a new file (named quickbomb.sqs

planename fire ["launcherF35"]
~0.5
~0.5
~0.5

It's drop four bomb and very funny effect.

Oh sorry, you have to change the F-35 to A-10, because F-35 have only two bombs, but A-10 have four... of course, you have to change launcherF35 to launcherA10.

Good designing!

Hey bardosy,

launcher names for other planes (Su25/34) and how many they carry each?

Thanks.

I don't know. When I create my mission, I tried an F-35 and an A-10 as a pilot in the game and I found 2 in F-35 and 4 in A-10. Then I dePBO the air.pbo and checked the planes (F-35 and A-10) config.cfg for string "launcher" and I found these two string and tested it, and it works.

BTW, at weekend I check the UAV config too and it's not similar. Because what I use is fires the big bombs not the rockets. But predator UAV have only rockets, not bombs. So the name is very different - I don't remember, but it was something - MavrickLauncher or something similar. Please check it in the config.

Hi.

The command for a bot controlled vehicle to fire on targets is doFire. I recently wrote a script that makes me able to desigante a target with laser, then call a bomber (AI controlled) to drop a bomb on it. Works nice.

So whats the difference to use a UAV instead of an AV8? The difference is that I have a concrete atarget to aim at, and your purpose is for the UAV to search its targets.

So look also at the commands doTarget and nearTargets. which might be helpful.

My first idea is something like:

//UAV on patrol
if there are targets nearby AND the targets are enemy sided, then{
  {
     UAV doTarget _x; UAV doFire _x;
  } foreach neartargets;
};
// and so on

This could work. All the scripting commands to implement this you have.

EDIT: To find out the launcher of the UAV, did u simply try to write

hint format["%1", weapons this]

into its init line? Should list you all weapons.

Edited by Bon

Sorry to dig up this old thread.

Bon et al,

I have been working on a mission where my team calls in a hellfire strike from a UAV via laser designator. Does anybody have a set of scripts that does this? I've been unable to get the UAV to fire with any accuracy at a known, named target, and think I'm simply going about it the wrong way.

Thoughts?

I looking for the same sort of solution. I'm trying to get the UAV to work in multiplayer mode on a dedicated server without any luck so far.

And is it just me or the uav flown by AI is like a drunk man flying?