Sign in to follow this  
Ebden

Import existing topography?

Considering an attempt at a map and storyline, lots of ideas, very little practical on the editing side (plenty of other software use though, so I'll figure it out).

I'd like to make something local, and I can likely get topographic info from a number of sources, most likely ESRI(ArcGIS) databases. Can existing terrain/elevation environments be imported for use in ARMA 2? If so, what is the appropriate pre-import format?

Pre existing locations with available data can be used, look into Global Mapper where you can directly obtain map data and images that can be exported and imported right into Visitor

Pre existing locations with available data can be used, look into Global Mapper where you can directly obtain map data and images that can be exported and imported right into Visitor

Great, thanks! I still haven't played with the program, but it looks like options abound through Global Mapper for building a real-world location.

what format would I have to use to export from global mapper to import into visitor?

what format would I have to use to export from global mapper to import into visitor?

Export as XYZ or PNG (grayscale, 16 bit colour) to import into Visitor.

Once I import the png and start up buldozer to test it out, the terrain is extremely jagged like, with a lot of bumps and things. This is related to the png file yes? If so how can I fix this? Thanks to anyone who can help

Your PBL file will look a little like this;

class cfg

{

PNGfilename="terrain.png";

squareSize=20;

originX=0;

originY=0;

minHeight=-100;

maxHeight=1200;

};

Reduce the minHeight and maxHeight numbers to reduce the "jagged"

If your PNG file has a lot of "variation" (seems unlikely if its based on real terrain) then reducing the Min and Max probably won't help much.

I've been trying to get sat imagery accurately into games for a while now.

I have global mapper and have my data but i cant seem to figure out how to scale for visitor, or set up visitor to the correct parameter size in the first place.

@Vandrel: Just so I make sure I understand this: it is possible to download elevation and terrain data directly into the BIS editor? Is it necessary to use Global Mapper ($350) for this? Can I use USGS data? I would love to be able to create a map of Gettysburg 1863.

@Vandrel: Just so I make sure I understand this: it is possible to download elevation and terrain data directly into the BIS editor? Is it necessary to use Global Mapper ($350) for this? Can I use USGS data? I would love to be able to create a map of Gettysburg 1863.

You can also download a low quality satellite map and use it only to make your heightmap. Then use it as a background image in visitor to know where to place stuff.

You can then use l3dt or other texture generators to create a high quality satellite map and mask based on that heightmap.

This saves you money and time on a heigh quality real world sat map and not to mention hours of pain in photoshop.

Its just a thought, your call, your fun, your time! Have fun!

Can some one make a tutorial on how to make a map with real data, including the settings in visitor ?

@spirit. Thanks for the quick response. there are tons of downloadable high res Gettysburg maps on the web (Library of Congress is one place) and there appear to be free tools on the web that permit creation of 3d maps from historical maps (check out ). Is something like this going to be importable into BI's editor and, if so, is this a good way to go?

Well BI's just lets you import heightmaps, sat map and mask. how you make them is up to you.

I do want to show you the recently changes in l3dt on this page (beta status)

http://www.bundysoft.com/news/doku.php?id=l3dt:2009:oct:19

Scroll down and you may read the following:

L3DT now includes a GeoTIFF plugin that can be used to import real-world terrain from, for example, the Shuttle Radar Tomography Mission (SRTM). For more information, please refer to this tutorial.

This means you can download real world terrain, put them in l3dt and generate the stuff that visitor needs. This might be a nice shortcut for your whishes.

here is the "how to do it" http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php?id=tutorials%3Al3dt%3Asrtm

Edited by spirit6

poking around I found a open source set of tools at http://www.vterrain.org/. no idea if they are good but the site certainly provides lots of info and free software. I am trying to work backwards from V3 using tutorials to figure out what V3 needs to create a terrain and then figuring out how to turn available real world data into V3 usable files