Sign in to follow this  
Flash Thunder

Very disappointed with Editor interface Non user friendly

While I find the OP's attitude less than appealing, I agree that loadouts are a bugger to work with. It would be great to have an "Edit loadout" button in the unit editing window - with a simple GUI allowing you to select weapons, magazines and equipment. Basically it could look exactly like the Gear GUI you get in-game, except that everything is available.

:)

Jeezus and I thought these forums were full of mature people while you're all whining and bellyaching because he has a complaint about how BIS dumped the thing out there and left the COMMUNITY to figure out how to use it.(the game , the editor and the tool set).

I agree with the OP and all the references to all the various WIkI's and web sites are indicative of how poorly this thing was prepared for release.

Thanks to all who bothered giving a reasonable response (yes there were some) because they saved me from having to ask the very same basic question , that's why I came in and read the comments here in the first place.

zzZZZzzzZZ.... if he just spent a little time reading/searching this forum he would find solutions/answers to most of problems he would encounter... but no it's much easier to complain than starting to read and learn :bounce3:

zzZZZzzzZZ.... if he just spent a little time reading/searching this forum he would find solutions/answers to most of problems he would encounter... but no it's much easier to complain than starting to read and learn :bounce3:

In his defense, this search engine isn't the best. I've search for "placing mines" before, wanting to learn how to put mines in my custom missions, and the same old overly-bloated threads pop up, so sometimes you have to really refine your search and then examine the threads that pop up, even if the title isn't about what you're looking for.

Nevertheless, forums rules state to do a search first.

To the OP:

I'm with you in that the editor is harder to use than it should be. I found the Neverwinter Night series editor to be the best, but we could only be so lucky. Luckily, while this editor isn't EASY to use, it's not terribly difficult.

I just started watching tutorial videos and such and I'll give you the link of my favorite video series thus far:

- He has like 6 in the series, pretty good! Check it out. (No, it's not me.)

I understand your point with the scripting. Personally I can't be bothered to script or learn it, but the forums are stuffed full of pre-made scripts.

Forget scripts, though, I've made some really fun missions simply using the BIS editor's waypoints and triggers. There's a lot you can do with just that.

Sorry for all the flaming you received, these forums can be rather unforgiving, especially if they think you're complaining. ;)

Edited by Jaenus

In his defense, this search engine isn't the best. I've search for "placing mines" before, wanting to learn how to put mines in my custom missions, and the same old overly-bloated threads pop up, so sometimes you have to really refine your search and then examine the threads that pop up, even if the title isn't about what you're looking for.

That's not the search engines fault, it's the searcher's fault. How many times do you think the phrase "placing mines" was used versus "mine" or "mines" or "vehicle mine" or something better to search for.

If people searched better they'd find better results. If you're not refining your search from the start, that's not the search engine's fault. heh

For mines though, try out: http://kronzky.info/minefield/index.htm

And if the flaming in here doesn't stop anytime soon we simply close this.

W0lle you can go ahead and close this subject since alot of people are just flaming me, Deadfast help me out and some others, *shout outs to them*

:) :mad:

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

@ quote,Lunatic

Are we going to start up with the stereotypes now, the irony in your post burns

You raise a valid point OP but you need to drop the flame war.

You've got some good advice there. You say the editor is unintuitive but i disagree. Think of the first time you opened Photoshop, or Cubase. Yet with Arma and a few minutes you can make something great. I've had Cubase for years and never managed that! The game helps you understand the editor (unit, weapon and vehicle names for example) and the editor helps you play the game (enless fun with weapon ranges, spectacular battles watched from hills as farmers for example:D) and as you play more with the editor, and browse these forums, you pick the other stuff up. Don't get upset because you looked at a thread in the scripting section and didn't understand it!

You need no scripting experience whatsoever to make epic battles in the editor, even starting in a plane and getting a feel for the terrain is a joy. Being ingame as a footsoldier and knowing exactly where you are is a major plus (especially in MP!)

You've no excuses now!

Have fun!

@Boxious

Well it wouldn't help to reply if you didn't even read the post......

I asked for a specific code, script whatever and made a general complaint which everyone on here is blindly ignoring because they have experience.

Im a noob simply, I got to learn basic coding. I guess nobody was ever a noob in this forum and had someone B*tch about how he/she likes having things handed too them and they had to learn scripting since only a few people offered some help and the others were just Sh*ts about it.

Whatever case closed.

Once again Thanks to the nice community members which helped others just got a nice welcoming report. :yay:

The reason why the game is so flexible, is because of scripting. Without it, the mission I am working on probably wouln't work. I'm new to scripting and it doesn't bother me a bit, in fact I enjoy it! With every script I learn, the more I can use those scripts for various things without asking. Here is a little piece of gold for new scripters that want things to function in the editor. (When I say I'm new to scripting I mean functions, so, don't bash me bro, don't bash meh.) http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Commands_ArmA2 ask around on this forum about some of them. People help me when I ask about them, kylania has been very helpful for me.

BTW, I started scripting, in mid august I think...Idk, but also don't go off as me being old and had dealt with other games like this before, because I'm 15 and this is the first game I started it. I'm a :dancehead:-----> n00b <------:dancehead: too.

Edited by TimeDeatH

god forbid someone get reported for disagreeing with someone else >.>

Kylania posted a nice script you can use and edit to your liking, which adds the weapon that you asked for....

Deadfast posted the commands you need to know to change loadouts....

And you say everyone is ignoring, when you have yet to even acknowledge what they've posted or ask about it.

Maybe try asking "where do i put this" or "how do i use this" or "what about if i want to add other stuff", instead of going on with the arguing? That might get you places - whereas flaming will only result in more flaming.

This forum is full of helpful people. Saying no one else was ever a "noob" at editing/scripting is just silly. Most others just approached it with a more open mindset.

god forbid someone get reported for disagreeing with someone else >.>

No, No, No the fact that they're saying im dumb or implying that I shouldn't have the right to make a simple complaint about a game that I bought is just dumb. I respect everyones opinions, but when they simply just saying learn it yourself or you're dumb than you're reported.

I'm asking a simple question and stating a Legit complaint, just because you have experience in scripting doesnt mean you have the right to go off on me. Almost half the post in this thread are not necessary.

Well I agree with most of that. I don't know that this is the place for such a complaint/feedback, but then I wouldn't know where to put it either.

In defunkt's defence... (and maybe cuz im just some immature kid)... I probably would have said the same thing as second poster. I mean come on... you were asking for it by saying not to do it lol. I highly doubt he was serious and meant it as more than a joke.

Since you're obviously still not going to bring it up, I will...

Have you figured out what you're trying to do yet? Or do you need help understanding something about the script to get the weapon?

No, No, No the fact that they're saying im dumb or implying that I shouldn't have the right to make a simple complaint about a game that I bought is just dumb. I respect everyones opinions, but when they simply just saying learn it yourself or you're dumb than you're reported.

I'm asking a simple question and stating a Legit complaint, just because you have experience in scripting doesnt mean you have the right to go off on me. Almost half the post in this thread are not necessary.

We only help those who help themselves. Make an effort and listen to what we have to say. If you want to get into college what do you have to do? MAKE AN EFFORT, not complain that it is too hard and they should lower the standards (unfortunately they are because of people that have your kind of attitude). Kid, we are trying to help you, but you will not help yourself. If you keep this attitude, life is going to smack you hard across the face. Also, 2 things, If you want something suggested maybe you should clean your post a bit like, "I would like to suggest that BIS should make a loadout menu for the editor, this would improve...(fill in with positives) It would help... (fill in with positives). Thank you for reviewing my suggestion. Does anyone else agree with my suggestion?". Usually when you go off with negatives you will get answers that are negative, go off as positive and you will get positive answers. Do not try to say that you didn't make any negative comments because things like "I paid 50$ for the editor and it's not good enough for me." is negative. I don't know how old you are or whether your even going to read this paragraph because of immaturity, but we are willing to help, don't screw it up by being negative (kylania tried to help when you were negative because he/she? is very forgiving and nice). The second thing is, post in the right forum, it doesn't take that long to navigate around.

I hope you get it working though.

Edited by TimeDeatH

he/she?

LOL. Yea, I've thought about this for a little while since I've been posting here too haha. It will forever elude me until I get the courage to ask. Silly names ending in "ia"... must resist the urge to ass.u.me!

LOL. Yea, I've thought about this for a little while since I've been posting here too haha. It will forever elude me until I get the courage to ask. Silly names ending in "ia"... must resist the urge to ass.u.me!

I thought they were a guy at first considering, pc game. Then when they gave me a link to a demo mission they were helping me with, and noticed they had their own url, checked the website, and found poetry. It's confusing me. Guys like pc games, but not too many of them enjoy poetry, girls like poetry, but not too many of them enjoy pc games. I'm sure kylania will reveal theirself after this post, lol.

:459: I haven't been that off topic in a while.

If I were an ArmA 2 model I'd have the full range of animations and inventory options. ;)

Well I agree with most of that. I don't know that this is the place for such a complaint/feedback, but then I wouldn't know where to put it either.

In defunkt's defence... (and maybe cuz im just some immature kid)... I probably would have said the same thing as second poster. I mean come on... you were asking for it by saying not to do it lol. I highly doubt he was serious and meant it as more than a joke.

Since you're obviously still not going to bring it up, I will...

Have you figured out what you're trying to do yet? Or do you need help understanding something about the script to get the weapon?

No I did some R&D took away some time from actually playing the game and learned some of the basics, mentioned the people who I got info/advice from in the Edit of my OP.

Yeah I spent a good 5 hours so far learning the basics of the editor still, weapon loadouts should be an already scripted task, Choose your weapon loadout and your equipment and preview the build would've been alot nicer and I would've gotten more gameplay out of my weekend. :)

Like I said, above problem solved and complaint addressed, thread closed.

Like I said, above problem solved and complaint addressed, thread closed.

Not quite cuz we still have one problem, idk what this means!

If I were an ArmA 2 model I'd have the full range of animations and inventory options. ;)

Well I hope you got your script to work. Sence sevral have tried to help. First here is the proper place to put a sugestion to BI. http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56. Second here is a really good Video by eclipse245 on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/eclipse245#play/uploads/2/SvY922ZIzXk. This guy rocks good tutorials, And this is his page in youtube that has all his tutorials. So hope this helps you out. And turn that frown upside down. S!=Salute. Oh forgot about babyalien

He has the sequil to his tutorial in the reply to video under his video. So you can see all 6. Ack forgot about the Arma script bible I beleave all the scripts and info on Mr-Murray's Manual work on Arma 2. You can dl it here http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2435. I think that will get you all in shape. Oh and check out this as well.http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=78089 Boy thats alot of info lol. Ok all done I hope. Enjoy.

Oh And I am a script noob woo hoo.:yay::bounce3::eek: and I love it.

Edited by Gunnykat

So this thread is really hitting home now Poetry!!! :butbut:

Flash Thunder, if you say this at the start when you ask a question what do you expect

I don't want any bull from you guys saying that im dumb and need to learn scripting, postive critisism or get reported.
you are going to get peoples backs up with that kinda attitude my friend and now you want the thread closed because your bad attitude has annoyed a lot of people.

I don't know, your just missing the point big time, of course this game requires the input of the community, its what its all about.

For me its what makes the game so good, so much more worthwhile. That I might take two days to make a chopper fly to where I want it and do the things I want it to do, with all the effort it takes to learn it and get it to work.

And if I can help someone else with the little I know, then all is good with the world.

When it happens its an achievement and I find it very rewarding, it just would not be the same if it were dumbed down the way you want and without the hidden depths for us to explore.

Try to use the ammo script from the first page on a civilian female. :)

Lol wtf... that's weird. Also tried giving her just an M9 and she gets buried with her forehead above the ground. Crazy chernarussian women...

JDog: try setting a waypoint on her to get in car, heh... its already on BIS buglist, it will be fixed ~october-november.

Ok, I have bunch of propositions after years of mission making with BIS editor. Do you think they would listen? One thing that really annoys me since 2002 is that when you select playable units and copy-paste them they loose "playable" status :) c'mon, no one fixed that in 7+ years? :) alternative would be to select "playable" for all currently selected units.

@Boxious

Well it wouldn't help to reply if you didn't even read the post......

I asked for a specific code, script wha <etc...>

You also stated that the editor was user-unfriendly. Which i addressed in my post.

Overall BIS if you want to make the game more acessible like you claim, you need to simplify the Interface for the editor.

I've played around with the editors for many different games over the years, far too many to remember.. I do remember that all of the seemed to required me to learn some kind of scripting in order to make things work, from something fairly straight forward - say adding NVG's to a soldier in arma2, through to games where I needed to script every single detail of a character before I can even place it in the editor..

The editor in Arma2 is one of the better I've come across. It gives easy access to a large selection of pre-armed troops and vehicles, pre-made groups as well as WP, triggers and modules. The Modules make it fairly simple to make quite complex missions with no more than a few clicks of the mouse, however some scripting may be required to refine it. The beauty of the editor in Arma2 is that the more scripting you're prepared to learn, the better your missions become.

What's wrong with the standard loadouts anyway? The standard selection is pretty good.