Sign in to follow this  
Flash Thunder

Very disappointed with Editor interface Non user friendly

First off I want to say this game is amazing BIS.

I'm having alot of issues in the Editor section of Arma 2, I own a physical copy of the game and spent 50 dollars so I can easily edit missions and etc.

Some of the basic features like weapon loadouts are incredibly difficult to use due to the Developers using script commands, now I'm not going to learn scripting just so I can edit loadouts and stuff for my mission that is not acceptable. BIS you can't possilby think that all of your customers are going to learn how to script do you??? :mad:

Basically why would you make about 70% (Just a random number) of the editor require extensive amounts of scripting knowledge?

It would've been really handy if you had a weapons loadout tab inside the editor so we can simply choose our weapon, attachments, equipment, this scripting takes too much time and usually always doesnt work for me.

Overall BIS if you want to make the game more accessible like you claim, you need to simplify the Interface for the editor. :)

I have tried Wolle code thread but im having issues everytime I load up.

If someone can help me, I would like to spawn with an M4A1 SOPMOD SD.

What I think BIS can do to easily improve the Editor Interface:

* Add Weapon loadout tab for Units layer with pictures of weapons, attachments ect all labeled.

* Add presets commands and scripts in a Presets tab.

* Add a directory for items, packages built in, Directory Tab

* Help tab and FAQ would be much appreciated.

As another member pointed out on the back of Arma 2's Box, it says "Mission Editor- Design your own missions by the intuitive, easy-to-use mission editor and become part of one of the biggest and most creative PC gaming community ever.

The Mission editor is intuitive no doubt but still has alot of shortcomings, Easy to use to setup simple missions as did Jan in the Developer Diary 2 video, but if you want to make some missions involving alot of action and triggers and special objectives, be prepared to learn to some extent scripting which is not even mentioned on the Box, under easy to use mission editor. Which Defends my complaint as not being totally user friendly as the Box Advertises.

I also think that the quote above is only talking to the people who have extensive knowledge of scriping.

Edit: People that still flame me, have no use to post in this thread. Help, stories. NO FLAMING.

Edit: Special Thanks to: DeadFast, Jaenus, Kju, Kylania, Tractorking, and BeerHunter. :D

Wolle you can close this thread but keep it up, because alot of your customers might have the same complaint and or question.

Edited by Flash Thunder
Special Thanks closing, removed radical terrorists.

now I'm not going to learn scripting just so I can edit loadouts and stuff for my mission that is not acceptable.

Why are you here than? :confused:

If you're completely unwilling to learn, as it so appears, just wait for someone else to do all the work for you. There's already some loadout interfaces out there already. You do need to search for them however, bugger. :rolleyes:

Now mind you, they won't be a simple cut/paste to add them to your missions I'm sure, so I guess that's right out. Well, yeah, you're kinda screwed with your attitude. Sorry.

Not that it matters, but ArmAEdit has a loadout UI as part of it's interface. *shrug*

Here's your work for you:

; ****************************************************************
; Custom unit script for Armed Assault
; Created with ArmA Edit - Version 1.3.4000
; HELP: Run this script from the INITIALIZATION box of the unit.
; CODE: [this] exec "myUnit.sqs"
; ****************************************************************

; Get the unit parameter given
_unit = _this select 0

; Strip the units current gear
removeAllWeapons _unit

; Add the new gear to the unit
_unit addMagazine "LaserBatteries"
_unit addMagazine "30Rnd_556x45_StanagSD"
_unit addWeapon "M4A1_HWS_GL_SD_Camo"
_unit selectWeapon "M4A1_HWS_GL_SD_Camo"
_unit addWeapon "LaserDesignator"
_unit addMagazine "15Rnd_9x19_M9SD"
_unit addWeapon "M9SD"
_unit addMagazine "1Rnd_HE_M203";
_unit addMagazine "SmokeShell"
_unit addMagazine "PipeBomb"
_unit addMagazine "PipeBomb"
_unit addWeapon "ItemGPS"
_unit addWeapon "NVGoggles"

Exit

Edited by kylania

What attitude, Im a customer buying a product, Im not going to go out of my way to learn complex scripting, I spent money on what I thought was an acessible editor.

Sure I'll wait for people to do the documentation and scripting for me.

I have a right as a customer of BIS to give them complaints and constructive feedback note how I never said the game was bad or anything, people like you're scared to voice your opinions and it gets you nothing.

By the way reported Defunkt

Now if I get banned for making a simple thread to help BIS out that would come across to any customer a bad business model. :)

Therefore I wouldn't buy any BIS products again.

What attitude, Im a customer buying a product, Im not going to go out of my way to learn complex scripting, I spent money on what I thought was an acessible editor.

I highly doubt you went to the store and told the clerk, "I sure am happy to he purchasing an accessible editor with this game!"

Sure I'll wait for people to do the documentation and scripting for me.

You're in luck, I did. See my edit above.

I have a right as a customer of BIS to give them complaints and constructive feedback note how I never said the game was bad or anything, people like you're scared to voice your opinions and it gets you nothing.

You need to realize that THIS particular forum, ArmA 2 - Mission Editing & Scripting, is NOT BIS Customer Service and Complaints department. It's a forum where helpful end users, and the occasional Dev or Mod, help answer questions by and for other end users. It's totally voluntary.

That's why I can say, "Since Flash Thunder has repeatedly proven himself to be angry, insulting and lazy, I shall never help the poor soul again." And guess what? I just said that. Good day, sir. Enjoy not enjoying ArmA2 since you couldn't put any effort into learning what the heck you were doing.

You should be a forum moderator,

Not.

I didn't tell the clerk it would've an acessible editor Jan did.

You know the PR guy. :yay:

Im sure angry, one complaint will justify that Im angry.

Where can I post my complaints moderator?

Lol....hasn't changed much since 01'....other than the modules, and some eye candy stuff. Some of the same commands work...also, did you even think of checking the COMREF's? www.ofpec.com has one, also somewhere on the forums there is another. Also, OFPEC.com has a basic tutorial. Where most of your "complaints" or "suggestions" are answered. Also, have you tried Real Time Editor? That's a good thing to try.

I suppose the interface could have been improved a bit after all these years... And isn't that where the BIS 3D editor comes in? Hasn't been finished but we can only hope in a future patch that it will be available.

I must admit too that the documentation could be a little better maybe. But don't quote me on that as I can be fairly hopeless at scripting.

in honesty, bis mission editor is the most accessible I find in my gaming experience. you just put in troops here and there and click preview and the mission works. i tried making mission in ghost recon 1, but that was truly a nightmare...

the scripting stuffs are for advance stuff and for advance ppl. For me, I just make a setpiece battle in the editor and fire away. No storyline, no briefing. just start and end. With secOps, that even made my life a lot simpler..

Dont be put off with the enormous scripting ppl tells you. Take your time, be patient and learn bit by bit. concentrate on little things, like removeAllWeapons this; after a while, it can be very rewarding

Nobody wants you to learn any scripting, all you need to do is to remember 3 commands that you put in the init line:

removeAllWeapons this; this addMagazine "15Rnd_9x19_m9"; this addWeapon "M9";

...and you got a unit with just an M9 and 1 magazine :)

This attitude is simply ridiculous, i'm afraid.

(1) Your can build very complex missions without any scripting nor command line, only with waypoints and triggers.

(2) This part of the forum (or other forums such as OFPEC) is full of people willing to help each other, such as kylania who is one of the most dedicated people around here.

(3) This kind of childish post will only provide people from helping you.

Please give me a break!! What is it with people that want everything handed to them on a plate.

We have a highly developed brain, capable of abstract reasoning, language, introspection and problem solving. So this game requires you to use it, OK so its not "so easy a 10 year old child could use it"

but that my friend is what for some of us makes this game interesting.:icon_slap:

Go out and buy the latest dross from EA games and leave us to enjoy something that requires its users to have at least an average intelligence.

Or alternatively, if you fancy trying it here is an example of a weapons load out.

You could copy and paste this to a new text document study it,

look at the references available to find all the different class names available for all the weapons and their magazines, edit this script to produce other example load outs that you can then copy and paste to a units init line in the editor.

Scary stuff Huh? Go on give it a try, once you start thinking you'll never look back and you'll wonder why you never tried it before.

removeAllWeapons this;  
{this addMagazine "20Rnd_556x45_Stanag";} forEach[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8]; 
this addWeapon "M4SPR"; 
{this addMagazine "15Rnd_9x19_M9";} forEach[1,2]; 
this addWeapon "M9SD";   {this addmagazine "SmokeShell";}forEach[1,2];
{this addmagazine "HandGrenade_West";} forEach[1,2];  
{this addmagazine "1Rnd_HE_M203";} forEach[1,2,3,4];  
{this addMagazine "FlareRed_M203";} forEach[1,2];  
this addweapon "binocular";   this addWeapon "NVGoggles"; 

Not.

You do realize that scripting is a requirement of any game. If you want full potential in a mod. Don't be an idiot. It's only part of the fun.

I find the editor interface has more or less remained the same since OFP days, I am used to the way it is and find it very easy to use.

I can understand someone finding it hard to understand unless they are WILLING to learn, however, it seems the OP wants everything spoon feed to him/her at the exact temperature.

Life isn't like that and neither is the game editor, you need to actually learn how to use it effectively, heavy scripting is not entirely needed at all.

Planck

I have over than 200 missions in ArmA and begining with mission packs for A2 - I agree, mission making with BIS 2d editor is time consuming, 80% of time is wasted on loading screen & testing where did you place units and how AI reacts and moves, to see if triggers work ok etc.

Not.

1: stop crying.

2: stop talking back, especially to Kylania

3: ARMA ll is the best "accessible editor" that I know of. Scripting really isn't that hard, I've learned a LOT of stuff in about two weeks with the help of this community. There is so much possible with ARMA once you know how to script.

Jeezus and I thought these forums were full of mature people while you're all whining and bellyaching because he has a complaint about how BIS dumped the thing out there and left the COMMUNITY to figure out how to use it.(the game , the editor and the tool set).

I agree with the OP and all the references to all the various WIkI's and web sites are indicative of how poorly this thing was prepared for release.

Thanks to all who bothered giving a reasonable response (yes there were some) because they saved me from having to ask the very same basic question , that's why I came in and read the comments here in the first place.

OMG The BIS editor is the most simple easy to use editor i have ever seen!! to claim it isnit is stupid.. yes of course it also has its advanced features for the people who "learn" how to use them too

OK so its not "so easy a 10 year old child could use it"

maybe not 10... but 12 y.o. cousin doesnt do so bad lol.

Basically why would you make everything scripted??

even PacMan used some kind of script...

until they create USB brain implants that read your thoughts and directly translate it into a mission... ppl unwilling to learn scripting (that isnt even hard if you try) are just out of luck.

If someone can help me, I would like to spawn with an M4A1 SOPMOD SD.

I don't want any bull from you guys saying that im dumb and need to learn scripting, postive critisism or get reported.

:391: lol? yes ppl will flock to answering your question when you ask like that. this is like "i'm going to key your car, smile and like it or i'll call the cops on you". recommending that you learn scripting and helping you learn is the whole point of this forum, so that IS positive criticism.

You're dumb and you need to learn scripting.

:rthumb:

Not.

Did no one tell you that "not" jokes just aren't funny, and that bad attitudes towards people that are trying to offer help and support is ignorant and arrogant.

Your attitude stinks, you are obviously a bad ambassador for Americans!

You need to heed advice when offered and you need to post suggestions in the suggestion thread.

Grow up, get a grip and sort your attitude towards community members out!

Otherwise, please refrain from posting shit!!

And if the flaming in here doesn't stop anytime soon we simply close this.

OP attitude with the "I'm not going to learn things to edit in this game" may be problematic, but he has a point : Editor could use improvement. It may not be essential to editing, but some features he mentioned would help indeed :

- loadout editor window

- ideally, having a script editor from within the in-game editor would help avoiding constant alt-tabbing

@OP : you gotta have to accept you'll need to learn things. It's the same for every game. And none has such possibilities in the game editor like ArmA2 has