Sign in to follow this  
jungleboy1

WW2 - World War 2

Right i guess you all thinking yes a WW2 mod how interesting why make this post.

Well...

If BIS made a completely new ww2 game using this engine i would buy it. Considering the terrible ww2 games already out there (my opinion) i think if BIS made a ww2 game they would make it so awesome it would kick out and defeat all the other ww2 companies out there.

This is because all the ww2 games out there only have small maps and small campaigns and little mp missions and maps but not awesomly big ones like in ARMA 2 where you can go around the whole map and make your own missions your own scenarios and anything can happen anything can change.

If they made a map of europe including italy but mostly focus on france and other key areas of ww2 and merged them into one big map the whole of europe perhaps. Sure it may lag the current pcs out there but in the future these pcs will be 3x outdated to the ones there so it is possible.

A mod would not be able to do this as succesfully i believe even though they are ok as a freebie, i would be more than willing to pay for a ww2 game made by BIS using a big engine where anything can happen throughout the war, especially if they made the server sizes more like the size of "WOW" or even bigger. This would mean war happening all the time. Factories/airfields from warfare could be everywhere constructing planes etc for the war and people acting as civilians aiding the Germans or the Allied forces.

I came up with this idea a long time ago before arma was introduced by playing OFP and i knew with an engine like OFP (at the time in 2001) anything was possible. Just to let you know this is a brief outline of my idea and theres things i havent said because otherwise this would turn out to be more of a world dictionary than a suggestion.:)

i absolutely prefeir modern combat than ww2 combat and tactics were more different,including huge assaults not like now,and the videogames world is full of ww2 games and just small modern combat. i absolutely prefeir it, ww2 is boring too many games,and in different kind from FPS to strategic ones, i'm sorry but from my point of view modern combat is awesome,and ww2 combat sucks, i'm waiting for an Iraq warfare kind of arma 2, desert combat and more

Im sure world war 2 wasnt boring to the men who actually fought in it!

Anyway, I think a World War 2 game using the ArmA 2 engine would be fantastic, far better than the scripted run & gun shooting gallery world war 2 games we've all played a million times before, or the sim style ones that fall on their faces due to basic graphics. I'd definitely be interested in it if they did. Keep an eye on the mod community, ive seen a few world war 2 vehicles made for ArmA 2 kicking about, we could well get the game your talking about from them! :cool:

I wouldnt be as interested in it as multiplayer though as i find most online games are spoiled by some of the idiots that play them

I think there's some group working on a WW2 game much like ArmA 2, with a fullscale France map.

I absolutely agree with you trickster. I believe in a ww2 game using this engine, even if it means making a mod or at least something of a great size. Im pretty sure overclocking the best computer now would be able to play the whole map of europe without lagging. Too bad the developers nowadays are too busy worrying about how much profit they will make rather than the content of the game itself although arma seems to be the best in the business in making things for communities and gamers and EA games and Activision the worst. These newer 2006+ games have been more of a quick $£€ profit rather than actual time taken to develop, focusing soly on graphics and slight improvements from previous titles (instead of using a patch).

To be honest sean i dont know why you prefer modern combat because i think its not proper war anymore. You just sit around in base camps doing small ops mission/ UAV recon while a AH-1Z Viper and 1000x LGB blows all the insurgents out of the sky with a click of a button and the tunguskas and AAA batteries just gotta lock on automatically and press the fire button.

Ok so to combat your opinion all i can say is why not make a modern war game around europe. Each country has their own faction and you can decide who allies/fights each other in the war. This uses the same concept as my idea above only changing the time scale. If you dont agree with this then i dont know what you will ever agree on.

Trust me i have been playing computer games all my life (yes i know it sucks but everyone does something for a while)

@sean...

In a lot of ways WW2 warfare was more strategic because in Modern warfare the tactical battle can be engaged at much greater distances. eg shoulder launched tank killing from kilometers away along with A10 and AH guided munitions.

This in effect meant that assaults in WW2 had to be carefully arranged to cordinate artillery armour and Infantry.

Of course it required more large scale infantry attacks because of the ratio between medium range effective ordinance and the number of infantry etc.

I love WW2 battles from a stratergy POV and Arma 2 engine would be the best total battlefield ever seen on the pc... why you may ask...

because with much simpler war machinery it would be a lot less taxing on our hardware and the extra cpu cycles could go into much bigger/better battle worlds.

Edited by dogz
bad typing

Yes, if they would make for WW2, that would be terrific! WW2 is an endless topic with lots of scenario and plots and so many countries, troops, etc. Personally, should be really worthy to do that.

Thanks for your support guys. Heh! if nobody makes one i probably will have to in a couple of years make one myself and then distribute it :D. Thats if im clever enough but i dont know any 3d modelling or anything like that. All i do is play games not make them, although i make maps in editor thats all im good for.

I know battlegrounds europe is out there but i cant afford to pay every month for a game that looks like ofp. I know ofp was amazing and still is but battlegrounds is nothing like it and you must pay weeey too much and its old!!! We need a ww2 game on this engine thats free! By free i mean we pay 1 price like arma 2 and thats it.

check out 31st normandy mod in the arma1 forums. its been in development for some time and i'm pretty sure its coming to arma2. i played the beta for a1, lots of potential!

At least FDF mod and i44 are coming too,hopefully some others also.

and i think that mod is enough! theres no need for a new game^^

I think the stuff from BIS would be in better quality and also they could develope new animations and etc. Anyway, the Mods from amateurs just are done in the free time of those Mod makers and would be restricted by the time, skill and some other factors.

I'd LOVE to see an ArmA II style WWII game, or a good solid mod for ArmA II

Love the scripting power, editor, possibilities of the engine...all of this would make a KILLER WWII game or mod

I much prefer WW2, and can't wait for the mods! :yay:

I tried playing BE = fail.

I much prefer WW2, and can't wait for the mods!

/signed

The A2 engine would have the perfect feel for a WW2 mod imo, especially with the way the PP makes terrain look at a distance. Already picturing winter terrain, bunkers, trenches, missions with enough units to fry your CPU. :D

/signed

The A2 engine would have the perfect feel for a WW2 mod imo, especially with the way the PP makes terrain look at a distance. Already picturing winter terrain, bunkers, trenches, missions with enough units to fry your CPU. :D

Imagine a full scale battle of kursk in the A2 engine!spooge worthy!

A full scale WWII from start to finish on all aspects, Pacific and European theaters, would be a huge break through product. I'd imagine that game would rank the company as #1 for years to come after it hits stores. The only major lacking part of the ArmA series has thus far been the water so that would mostly cut out subs but I'm sure they could work in something for that as well.

WW2 could be a good next step for BIS after Operation Arrowhead. After that, I don't see what much more they can achieve in modern warfare, at least with the same engine. One option would be to go back to the roots to the era of Cold War in the 80s. I would not consider Vietnam as a realistic option even though I like the subject.

But I think WW2 theme would draw in more wider customer base. Mods are great of course but not quite the same as full-bloodied WW2 oriented game. With ArmA 2 engine this game would set the standard for realistic WW2 games not seen since semi-realistic Hidden & Dangerous 2. WW2 would offer so much more than any other setup I can think of.

Right i guess you all thinking yes a WW2 mod how interesting why make this post.

Well...

If BIS made a completely new ww2 game using this engine i would buy it. Considering the terrible ww2 games already out there (my opinion) i think if BIS made a ww2 game they would make it so awesome it would kick out and defeat all the other ww2 companies out there.

This is because all the ww2 games out there only have small maps and small campaigns and little mp missions and maps but not awesomly big ones like in ARMA 2 where you can go around the whole map and make your own missions your own scenarios and anything can happen anything can change.

If they made a map of europe including italy but mostly focus on france and other key areas of ww2 and merged them into one big map the whole of europe perhaps. Sure it may lag the current pcs out there but in the future these pcs will be 3x outdated to the ones there so it is possible.

A mod would not be able to do this as succesfully i believe even though they are ok as a freebie, i would be more than willing to pay for a ww2 game made by BIS using a big engine where anything can happen throughout the war, especially if they made the server sizes more like the size of "WOW" or even bigger. This would mean war happening all the time. Factories/airfields from warfare could be everywhere constructing planes etc for the war and people acting as civilians aiding the Germans or the Allied forces.

I came up with this idea a long time ago before arma was introduced by playing OFP and i knew with an engine like OFP (at the time in 2001) anything was possible. Just to let you know this is a brief outline of my idea and theres things i havent said because otherwise this would turn out to be more of a world dictionary than a suggestion.:)

Do you think a computer can run a battle with hundreds of thousands AI soldiers and tanks?

Dosn't ArmA 2 just run on an updated OpF engine?

Yeah Operation Plashfoint runst just like Doom3 runs on updated Wolfenstein 3D engine.

try red orchestra and the new amazing mod with western front "darkest hour".

the maps differs from huge tankbattle maps to cityfights with combined arms and of course normandy and battle of the bulge maps.

there is no ww2 game delivering the intense feeling of beeing in the middle of war like red orchestra and darkest hour.

even battlegrounds cannot come close to it, but the maps in battleground are bigger thats true.

there are also 2 ww2 mods in work for arma2 31st normandy and invasion 1944 mod

Not sure whether we're wasting time here to disucss it. If BIS never think or interested in developing such game although so many guys here are eager to get...