Sign in to follow this  
mikebart

Importing 2nd UV channel for Lightmaps (aka *_MC)

Im trying to export a model which has two UV channels from 3dsmax into O2, the 2nd UV channel is to be used as a light map useing a _MC texture.

Ive tried having 2 copies of the object in 3dsmax and having the two different UV maps on each model seperatly, then I exported both to .3ds, imported them both into O2, but I cant seem to be able to copy both UV channels into the same object in O2, which is where im asking for help.

I hope ive explained it ok, heres some images that might help explain things a bit better.

1st UVset

tuss.th.jpg

2nd UVset

tussmco.th.jpg

and this is the model in max using the lightmap on UV 2 and the alpha channel from UV 1

tussm113.th.jpg

#define _ARMA_

//Class t_acer2s_1.rvmat{
ambient[] = {1,1,1,1};
diffuse[] = {1,1,1,1};
forcedDiffuse[] = {1,1,1,0.46};
emmisive[] = {0,0,0,1};
specular[] = {0,0,0,1};
specularPower = 0;
PixelShaderID = "Tree";
VertexShaderID = "Tree";
class Stage1
{
texture = "CA\NZDF_M113\Data\tussock_ca.paa";
uvSource = "tex";
class uvTransform
{
 aside[] = {1,0,0};
 up[] = {0,1,0};
 dir[] = {0,0,0};
 pos[] = {0,0,0};
};
};
class Stage2
{
texture = "CA\NZDF_M113\Data\tussock_mc.paa";
uvSource = "tex1";
class uvTransform
{
 aside[] = {1,0,0};
 up[] = {0,1,0};
 dir[] = {0,0,0};
 pos[] = {0,0,0};
};
};
//};

thanks for the reply, yeah it seams so, I only get one channel when I export with .obj aswell, so i think it might be something that needs to be set up in O2.

You could try to copy the model with 2nd UVSet into the model with the 1st UVSet and then use the "Merge near Points" option.

Have you tried having same model (topology wise) in 2 seperate .3ds's but with distinct uv sets in each.

Open each in there own instance of Oxygen and copy'n'paste from one to the other... perhaps it'll bring the 2nd uvset with it... dunno.

Or, perhaps you could do a merge once you have these 2 seperate model's into p3dm.p3d format (that have different uv's but same topology). I'm sure it's a doable thing todo, just can't remember the method to achieve it.

If you can get your max model to .lwo format you could use my lwo2p3dm it'll do multiple uv sets into the o2 model.

You can have 8 uvsets per visual lod in p3dm's from memory.

Obj isn't a very good format for transferring stuff around tween apps. 'cause it doesn't support discontinous uv maps and as a work around creates additional verts. Which was why I settled on .lwo format for moving stuff in & out of o2 as it's the file format that most closely replicates the fucntional data structures in p3dm's.

Sorta a mute point though as I'm sure Soul_Assassin will be able to facilitate multiple uvsets when writing out the .p3d's for you max users.

Sorta a mute point though as I'm sure Soul_Assassin will be able to facilitate multiple uvsets when writing out the .p3d's for you max users.

amen ;)

Thanks for the quick replys guys,

Copying the UV's over from a seperate instance of O2 into another works, the lightmaps showing up in bulldozer correctly and although it looks like crap, its a good place to start :)

lightmap.th.jpg