Sign in to follow this  
i0n0s

[Alpha] RTE for ArmA II

Holy crap! I managed to get it working, and isn't it just wonderful!

I've had my eyes on this for a while but for some reason never took the time to try it. I tend to overdo the "atmosphere" in my missions, placing multitudes of objects around villages, and even enlarging existing villages/forests.

To do this in the 2D editor is somewhat of a pain in the ass, considering that I have to switch between the editor and preview for every placed object to make sure it doesn't look like crap.

But with the help of RTE this is all going to go a lot faster!

I do have to say that the "special OA installation" instructions are somewhat vague.

- You don't have to rename your arma2oa.exe

- You have to figure out for yourself where the ".7zip" is located, considering that all the download links lead directly to the self-installer.

- You have to figure out for yourself that the ArmA II folder in the .7zip is the folder you should place in your ArmA 2 directory and rename to @RTEditor.

I'm guessing this is because the team is working on an update that actually installs properly by itself for OA as well... :)

Oh and another thing:

The text on menus in RTE is seriously difficult to read with my graphics settings, I'm running 1920x1080 with 100% interface resolution and very small interface size. I can of course lower these settings but doing that gives me a serious case of claustrofobia... And it's a bit of a hassle to change resolution back and forth between editing and playing.

I can't be the only one with this "problem"? It would be nice if it was changed anyhow.

Big thanks for bringing this to the community! Mission editing just became even more fun!

Patriot, That is a major pain in the ass, Ive have encountered it many times. The only way around it, is when you 'put something down' make sure the point at which you double click (to bring up unit selector) is as flat as possible.

Otherwise the 'wall' will put its seat flat on the terrain where you clicked. I hope this helps

Well, I think I found a solution for this.

When I build the wall under RTE editor, I push the keys "CTRL" for adjust height, "MAJ" for adjust direction, or "ALT" for both. I build a perfect wall, and I save.

After, I'm leaving the RTE editor, and opening the basic ingame editor:

I select each parts of the wall I built under RTE editor a few minutes ago, and when I double-click on each parts of the wall, the object's menu opens, and I can read "this setpos ["""""]; this setdir[""""] dostopthis;"

I cancel that, and I replace it by manual script into basic ingame editor, like "this setpos [getpos this 0, getpos this 1, -0.1]". I must manually adjust each parts of the wall to make it being right. And it works perfectly.

It's a little bit complicate, but it's the best solution I ever found, for the moment...

^ Well done Patriot 911,

I was just about to suggest the same. Its the method I used to get my Stadium working in its demo mission.

I think what happens is the object spawns to the map, then the object geometry reacts to its surroundings, It needs the setpos in the init line to take effect and correct position.

Be interesting to see how things go when using RTE in something like MCC Sandbox where the mission is playing in real time as well.

About the waypoint error:

I fixed it in my last revision and the waypoints are saved correctly. It's only a failure when rebuilding the waypoints.

The 'my document' folder may be the documents folder. It contains the ArmA 2 and ArmA 2 Other Profiles folder.

@Jessie Yao:

The installer makes the error or which program is creating the error.

How to use the RTE for Dummies:

For installation and use on OA/CO

1. Download latest RTE capture.exe

2. install RTE to default directory (default means the one that it says automatically)

3. run rte capture on desktop.

4. Select folder where you want @RTEditor installed to.

5. click next a few times.

This is where i had trouble, @RTEditor did not install for me after this point.

Make sure to have write rights in the folder. Therefore try to use the default folder or run RTE Capture as admin.

So i had to download the 7zip file and manually place the @RTEditor folder in my arma2 folder. I do not use UAC so this is fine for me here.

Add @RTEditor to modline

Change arma2.exe to arma22.exe Don't do this!

Change arma2oa.exe to arma2.exe Don't do this!

Run shortcut with @RTEditor; in and make sure the other mods you use are in the target line as well.

Run RTE capture.

Load Editor> select map>put player unit down> preview

Once on the ground press ESC and click Run RTECapture menu (should be under exit, if its not then you've not installed it right) a few seconds later you'll be in the 3d editor and begin pulling your teeth out with your hair almost immediately!!

@Duggedank:

This would require a redesign of the dialogue which requires a lot more time then I can spend on it.

Oh, and which team? It's currently a one men project.

So if someone is interested to join, feel free to ask. Only a little script knowledge and/or knowledge about dialogue design is required.

The RTE itself is complex, but the parts are simple and easily to understand.

Cheers for the correction iOnOs

I shall amend my shortcut exes and hopefully then it wont duplicate my objects placed :-D

Why do I get 'Access Violation at address 0057BBDF in module RTECapture' when trying to launch ArmA2 from RTE?

@metalcraze:

Please send me:

%APPDATA%\RTE Capture\Options.ini

%APPDATA%\RTE Capture\Profile.xml

Just pushed revision 559, a jump of 30 commits. And only one line in the change log about the major change...

• New background for pause dialogue
  • Drawing on 2D map now uses the new draw commands instead of local marker.
  • Creating trigger works again.
  • Waypoints stays connected after rewinding.

Anyone uses the *gasp* 2D map? I guess no one, but I'm finally using the new commands to draw on the map and don't need to use local marker any more.

I can drop more and more workarounds and it still works :)

I don't think Options or Profile have anything to do with this. When using a recommended installer (the online one) it doesn't install @RTEditor at all. When downloading updates they don't install @RTEditor as well (in fact I don't even know where it downloads those updates - I check RTECapture installation folder but find nothing but program files there). Even when I leave the default folder for @RTEditor as it is (which is in My Documents\ArmA 2) - it installs nothing.

I had to download RTE 7z and put files from there into @RTEditor\Addons - and even then when starting a preview it simply says 'script not found' - RTE launches however, but it immediately says that I won't be able to export the mission because there is no connection to RTECapture and RTECapture itself says "inactive"

Do I need to put some dll somewhere perhaps?

Try it again with RTE Capture 1.60. It fixes the bug you encountered. About "inactive": Use JayArmA2Lib and check if the status changed when RTE is open.

If it doesn't change then probably JayArmA2Lib is not installed correctly.

First, what is ASL? I don't know what that means, so I don't know if ASL factor could help, if i knew what it was.

Second,

I have discovered another bad issue with RTE. This is the scenario:

I set up a cargo ship at dock. I think its from Sigma vehicles. It only has a couple spots on the ship where you can put someone on the deck or wherever. So up at the top where the bridge is, I want a couple guys to stand up there, but they just fall through the decks to the bottom of the sea and die.

So I used RTE to place concrete block from the Training 'folder'? so when i place them down, using set vector up mode by the way, they don't set flush. They set starting somewhere towards the top stickig up a little. Once I start moving it. ......to make it simple, the height is wrong. I want my cancrete blocks to not be seen on the ship, just slightly under the deck so it looks like they are standing on the deck. But when RTE sets it's final Z height, it's not the same height that the block uses. So instead of them not being seen, they end up waist high over the deck.

My Z height is 17.4 but RTE says that 17.4 is at the top of the block, so when game starts, it goes back to 17.4 according to it's real location.

the only way i can get close to what i want. is to put it in place where i want it. (a pain since usin vector up mode makes me have to reset the rotation back to 0 so it doesn't place it in side ways.

Then after i put it in place, double click on it, then change the dir to 0 and push ok. bascally like placing in the object new again, which sets the height back at the games height, which now raises the block back up a from 17.4 to about 18.6.. Thats roughly the difference.

So long story short it takes placing my item, then replacing it a few times in order to get close to what i want. then restart the game with these new heights and find out how off I still need to move it. They never end up with th right x, and y, coordinates either. Slightly off.

So soemthing that should take a couple minutes takes hours and hours to keep trial and error work.

So can you set those things to where they should be according to their own specifics? In some areas, i don't always use the same thing. I also used "shooting positions" which are off in the same way but different. Ladders too don't stay where i put them.

Hope you kno what i am taking about. If you need me to I can get some screen shots.

oh and what is the pause dialog?

Thanks

Edited by victim913

I found a new issue that didn't used to be there before.

When I spawn units, creating a group, they used to stay where I put them. I know if i moved them then they would get a dostop in their init. But when first placing them, they stayed still until i pushed play. Then they would move into formation.

But now as soon as I place a unit down, and click somewhere else (like to place another unit) the unit starts moving into formation automatically while the RTE is on STOP. So something new is making them move without pushing play

Also can someone test something for me? Using ACE put a squad of BAF and edit the weapons on each of them using ace and non ace weapons. And try to fill up the magazine slots. And can you tell me if you can export them afterward?

Thanks

Edited by victim913

Maybe a question already asked but when you save a mission you built using RTE does it create

the same type of files like the regular editor for sp and MP, and does it save in the same places?

hello i have a question. I want to edit with my friends a map. I downloaded the multiplayer RTE V maps from http://rte.jonasscholz.de/blog/2009/09/06/rte-multiplayer-usage . But when i start the maps in the multiplayer ingame also over (Start the RTE) then nothing happens. I retry it and retry it but the same thing (nothing happens). Can you please help me. (And what is the file \ION_RTE\StartRTE_MP.sqf)

I have almost the same issue but i have:

ION_RTE/RTE_Usedlib.sqf:48:Exleption Occured: Coudn't connect to pipe ION_RTE

And this is what?

There should seriously been a video about how to get this to work..

I'm having Windows 7, ArmA2: Combined Operations

Jaynus is broken with the new patch, so if you guys patched, then jaynus is not running. That would cause the pipe problem.

You have to switch back to using RTEdll instead of Jayarma2lib. That should get it working until jaynus fixes to the patch

Also, i have had prolems with RTE not turning on at all. It says standing by, then as it fads away nothing happens. The Capture says it connected though.

I think it has to do with the island or a particular addon that you have in the mission.

Capraia or whatever it is called, gives me problems. Slows the opening of rte way down and even once it's open, it gets slow with that map.

I still have a question from before. Has anyoe been able to edit weapons in RTE, then be able to export? I can add units and export, but if I edit a units weapons, then exporting crashes when it hits tha unit. So everything before that unit exports. But nothing after that unit.

I have been using ACE, so I want to see if anyone has that problem with or without ACE. I can take a standard unit and remove only the binoculars, and that unit will crash the export. So it's not the ACE weapons.

Can someone please check this for me?

Thanks

Jaynus is broken with the new patch, so if you guys patched, then jaynus is not running. That would cause the pipe problem.

You have to switch back to using RTEdll instead of Jayarma2lib. That should get it working until jaynus fixes to the patch

How do i use the RTEdll?

Open RTE Capture, select Profile. at the bottom it has two boxes. One says something like

-nojayarma2lib

The second says

-Use RTE Capture dll

Check off that box that says UseRTE Capture dll.

I think you would need to also check off the other box too that says no jayarma but everytime I check that box, it unchecks the second I close the profile. Once I open it back up, the box is unchecked again.

Either way, it shouldn't matter. Jayarma isn't working anyway so it won't be used anyway. If you want to make sure, make sure jayarma is not on your mod list of active mods.

My RTE is working perfectly with it using RTE Capture dll. (no need to rename anything).

But again, if someone can check on the edit weapon stuff I was asking earlier.

How can i place people in guard towers using RTE?

I did the set placement as up but he stays on the ground. =\

Also how do i save RTE lol.

Edited by mythicdawn07

I'm having ArmA2:CO so how do i run RTE on both and not only on ArmA2

I just get access violation blah blah blah when i try launch from RTE capture and it just stays inactive so i guess i cant save anyway :j:

I get a weird error...

Access violation at address 0057BC0B in module 'RTECapture.exe'. Read of address 00000000.

Anyone know wtf this is?

Open RTE Capture, select Profile. at the bottom it has two boxes. One says something like

-nojayarma2lib

The second says

-Use RTE Capture dll

Check off that box that says UseRTE Capture dll.

I think you would need to also check off the other box too that says no jayarma but everytime I check that box, it unchecks the second I close the profile. Once I open it back up, the box is unchecked again.

Either way, it shouldn't matter. Jayarma isn't working anyway so it won't be used anyway. If you want to make sure, make sure jayarma is not on your mod list of active mods.

My RTE is working perfectly with it using RTE Capture dll. (no need to rename anything).

But again, if someone can check on the edit weapon stuff I was asking earlier.

Oddly I couldn't get to save without using JayArma (though it says 'not compatible') but now it makes a fool of me and does. Though won't project admin with JayArma

Re; the weapon edit stuff, I seem to have a similar issue using only the recomended CBA and JayArma

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

I get a weird error...

Access violation at address 0057BC0B in module 'RTECapture.exe'. Read of address 00000000.

Anyone know wtf this is?

Yes, i have this issue as well.

Seems theres pretty many issues with this for ArmA2/CO

There should been a video showing how to do this. This is going on my nervs and i really wanted to use this with the MCC.

Move unit up = Hit control then move mouse.

Rotate Unit = Hit shift then move mouse.

Both function in combination with the alt key so you can easily move objects that are small or distant and diffuicult to left click.

Check the first post for links, he has all the required info posted.