Sign in to follow this  
beno_83au

ArmA and Macs

One of my mates is about to get a new pc and is keen to start playing ArmA with a few of us. He said he was about to look into getting an iMac (whatever the new one is - ignorance, sorry) but I remember trying to get it going on someone else's Mac with Windows OS last year and we had no luck. I was just wondering if it is able to be run decently now days on a Mac or should he really be looking at buying something else?

Cheers.

Friend of mine runs OFP perfectly on quite an High-End-Mac-Laptop ... with something like an emulator ... dunno more. But AA2 won't do for stupid technical reasons - something about "Reserved - RAM" the Emulator adresses he said, something that seems to be unchangeable (for us, as technic noobs).

EDIT: The emulating or ... whatever sort of software it is ... is called "Apple Parallels"

Edited by Herbal Influence

Both ArmA and ArmA 2 run just fine on my iMacs. ArmA runs just fine on maxed out settings, ArmA 2 runs just fine on normal-high settings.

I didn't even know parallels could run any type of program with 3d graphics. Usually when you're running windows in an emulator like parallels, it wont allow you to play games.

The best option is to use the Bootcamp assistant that comes with the computer. It allows you to install windows on a partition of your hard drive. After installing the windows OS you wantd, all you need to do to boot into windows is restart your iMac and when it reaches the grey boot-up screen, hold the "option" key (the "alt" key for all you PC users...) Then it gives you the option to boot into windows or Mac OSX, click windows and you're good to go. It's the same thing as having a PC, except you can't upgrade most of the components and you have the option of running Mac OSX whenever you want.:cool:

Both ArmA and ArmA 2 run just fine on my iMacs. ArmA runs just fine on maxed out settings, ArmA 2 runs just fine on normal-high settings.

I didn't even know parallels could run any type of program with 3d graphics. Usually when you're running windows in an emulator like parallels, it wont allow you to play games.

The best option is to use the Bootcamp assistant that comes with the computer. It allows you to install windows on a partition of your hard drive. After installing the windows OS you wantd, all you need to do to boot into windows is restart your iMac and when it reaches the grey boot-up screen, hold the "option" key (the "alt" key for all you PC users...) Then it gives you the option to boot into windows or Mac OSX, click windows and you're good to go. It's the same thing as having a PC, except you can't upgrade most of the components and you have the option of running Mac OSX whenever you want.:cool:

What are your specs?

What are your specs?

2008 iMac 24" 3.06ghz core 2 duo nvidia 8800GS 512mb, 2gb 800mhz ddr2 ram... I think.

It's been quite some time since I last played ArmA 2 on it because I finally decided to build an ArmA 2 specific PC last fall... but that iMac could run ArmA 2 quite nicely on high to very-high settings from what I can remember.;)