luki

Simple ArmA 2 Terrain Tutorial

hello, before beginning to read the tutorial, lowering the programs, etc… I have Windows 7 64 bits, gives to some east problem operating system?

I've installed it all, but have no P:/ drive...

I'm not sure if it works Win7 64-bit. :butbut:

I've installed it all, but have no P:/ drive...

I'm not sure if it works Win7 64-bit. :butbut:

It's working perfectly on my Win XP 64-bit.

All I can say about Win7 is that it's DEFINITLY not for using tools, any kind of tools. Win 7 is stable, sometimes good for gaming but not for any editing applications. For applications the best is and always was winXP.

It's working perfectly on my Win XP 64-bit.

All I can say about Win7 is that it's DEFINITLY not for using tools, any kind of tools. Win 7 is stable, sometimes good for gaming but not for any editing applications. For applications the best is and always was winXP.

And did you have any proof or evidence of this sentence? I don't have ANY problem and i can't see ANY difference on using XP or W7 for editing maps and terrains. I'm actually using a 2 monitor configuration with Bulldozer everytime opened on my secondary window to view the results, and all is working flawlessy.

Me too... both on the multiple monitors (luxury) and Win7 x64... no problems here either...

Possibly an incomplete install comradechaos?? - the actual tools drive is one of the tickable options on the initial tools setup if I remember correctly... a reboot and it should kick in OK...

B

Me too... both on the multiple monitors (luxury) and Win7 x64... no problems here either...

Possibly an incomplete install comradechaos?? - the actual tools drive is one of the tickable options on the initial tools setup if I remember correctly... a reboot and it should kick in OK...

B

The reboot worked! :yay:

Now I'm stuck at the DePBO part.

Edited by comradechaos

A guess .... a tree or object or area defintion has slipped over the edge of the work area.

Could happen if you accidently select items and then do a move of a visible item.

Gnat;1594616']A guess .... a tree or object or area defintion has slipped over the edge of the work area.

Could happen if you accidently select items and then do a move of a visible item.

I suggest:

- export of all items to a text file (script - ExportObjects)

- find the item that is outside the boundaries by searching the wrong coordinate in the text (1046 should work)

- retrieve the object type from this item

- export all items of this type to a text file

- delete all objects of that type from the map

- remove the line with the wrong object from the text file and run ImportObjects script (scripts are in Visitor3\scripts folder)

That should fix.

Small hint: next time open a new thread, this can be more useful and easily searchable from other users with your same problem

hey,

I have a problem when I try to the import the Satellite & Mask.

after I select the mask_lco.png comes this error message: ("can t save...")

(this is the Tutorial file)

neuebitmap2.th.jpg

hey,

I have a problem when I try to the import the Satellite & Mask.

after I select the mask_lco.png comes this error message: ("can t save...")

(this is the Tutorial file)

neuebitmap2.th.jpg

look at the error...

"cannot save to P:\p:\tut...": this is not a valid folder path...

check your project preferences.

Okay, I'm totally blown away on how to do the DePBO part...

Which DePBO part?? - initial setting up stuff in the P:\CA folder???

I'm pretty sure this SgtAce tutorial covers some of the basics of that... also, just a couple of pages back in this thread, AllieX explains the basic procedure...

... plus you could also try...

Alliex's tutorial part 1

Check the Resourse Link sticky for all of Allie's tutorials...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

uh, yeah Thx. I usually don t see those mistakes :banghead:

@Shezan74

are you kidding? Look at the path and the errormessage. What is the errormessage saying?

It says that the path is not correct. Now look at the path, what do you see there...P:\P:\...do you really think that this is the right path?..So you have a BI drive right inside a BI drive...really want to see that...

ok, sorry....go to your projekt preferences and remove the double P:\. Just type

tut\tut_samplemap\data\

regards

Edited by MemphisBelle

@Shezan74

are you kidding? Look at the path and the errormessage. What is the errormessage saying?

Ahem... sorry MemphisBelle... this is exactly what i've said...

what's wrong in my reply (excluded my poor english)?

Ahem... sorry MemphisBelle... this is exactly what i've said...

what's wrong in my reply (excluded my poor english)?

Ups...lol...sorry..my Bad. Nothings wrong about this. have somehow been blind I guess. Ylou altready answered and I thought you had the problem..:icon_redface:

However this couldt happen??:386:

Which DePBO part?? - initial setting up stuff in the P:\CA folder???

I'm pretty sure this SgtAce tutorial covers some of the basics of that... also, just a couple of pages back in this thread, AllieX explains the basic procedure...

... plus you could also try...

Alliex's tutorial part 1

Check the Resourse Link sticky for all of Allie's tutorials...

B

Needed to put the DePBO dll with Extract PBO and it's working dandy now!

Following Sgt Aces tutorial I get this error when importing the satellite and mask:

Error saving P:\p:\tut\tut_samplemap\data\Layers\S_000_000_lco.png

The thing that I don't understand is why it says P:\p:\

Any help is much appreciated

DISREGARD!!! I found out the problem. I set up the project preferences wrong.

Edited by IronSight94

Last night I decided to give map editing a shot. I found a video tutorial on youtube and started installing the software.

Then I reached this point where there was an extra virtual drive on my computer (P: ) and I had the software installed on it as well as in a folder in MyDocs. I don't know how that happened. I guess it does that automatically.

And then I had to go in my Arma2 folder and unpack some pbos to add them into the new drive resources...

I followed the instructions and moved the dll file in my windows/system32 folder, right clicked a pbo >open with> browsed to the depbo.exe or whatever, checked the square and BOOM Arma 2 started...

It was supposed to unpack the pbo into 4 files or something and I was going to put those unpacked files on my new drive in the appropriate folder, right?

Well no. As soon as I doubleclick on a pbo to unpack it, the game starts.

I have no idea what I did wrong. It's all too chaotic for me. There are also two tutorials on youtube. One suggests to change all the installation paths to the new drive (which I don't have because the new drive is installed after you install the software package), the other just says "click next until everything is installed".

I have no idea what's going on.

Then I read the rest of the tutorial and nothing made sense. What satmask gridsize bat file rvmat dos thing?

I guess I'll have to wait until someone makes another full video tutorial because I am stuck on the basics. :(

Hmmm...

You'll find conflicting advice quite a lot in island-making... mainly because there's no one set way of doing things... however, the time for "individual approaches" usually comes a little bit after the tools installation...

Also, I suspect you simultaneously got entangled with BIS's latest "brilliant idea" - association of .pbo files with the game itself... that was a little "bonus" which gets installed along with patch 1.05 and confused the crap out of a lot of peoples well-established and working nicely thank you DEpbo'ing routines and tools...

I'd fix that bit first - get a DEpbo tool working properly - it's massively essential all round...

Do a search of the whole editing section - or even the whole A2 forum for "Cpbo not working", or something like that... (searching for "Goddammit BIS! What were you thinking!?!" will get you too many results ;))... there were several threads on the topic since that particular BIS idea affected a lot of people...

There's a variety of utils available... pick one and get it working... then move on to the tools installation again...

... just click "next" the whole way - a default install of everything will work just fine... just say yes and next a lot - install everything, even if you think you don't need it - you might later...

Once thats done you should have a "virtual P:\ drive"... it will have lots of stuff on it already, one of which is a "CA" folder, and if you look inside you'll see that theres a "Roads2" folder in there...

Think of this CA folder as an unpacked version of the whole game which the island tool - Visitor - can draw its objects from... First though, you have to fill it up...

This IS a tricky bit - but it only needs done once... you need to set up that unpacked build environment by pulling .pbo's from the main game - unpacking them with the DEpbo tool you finally got working earlier, and stashing them in here in the correct order and structure...

Alliex's tutorial will get you through this tricky and picky stage...

The overall concept is that you build a Virtual island, on this Virtual drive, using objects from a Virtual unpacked Arma2... then, when you finally binarise your island and dump it into the real game - it looks along all those virtual paths for stuff - and finds them - in the real game, and your island works...

Fortunately, grasping the concept can come later... simple following of the basic mechanics should be enough to get you started at least...

There's a LOT to take onboard... don't expect to master it in a day... or even a week... Don't despair tho.. it CAN be done... it DOES all work like it should... in fact, this is the easy part! ;)

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Damn you and your sound advice!!! :)

Ok I may give it another shot although I already feel overwhelmed by this. Thanks dude.

Damn you and your sound advice!!! :)

Ok I may give it another shot although I already feel overwhelmed by this. Thanks dude.

Don't give up man, I had a hell of a time setting up too. It took me a week just to get my first test map into arma2 but damit, I ran through some crappy little woods I had made and absolutely loved it!

This is one heck of a painful process so take it in steps. Just expect to hit walls as you dive deeper into refining your map. The whole process is overwhelming so if you focus on a stepping process you can mitigate the emotional distress... although I did pull a little clump of hair out from time to time. :D

Hm, when binarizing the TUT_SampleMap it says there's an error in the config.cpp (error in config P:\TUT\TUT_SampleMap\Config.cpp) , it still finishes binarizing though, but the map doesn't show up in game.

This is the log-file:

Error reading binary file 'p:\tut\tut_samplemap\config.cpp'

Include file p:\tut\TUT_SampleMap\TUT_SampleMap.hpp not found.

Cannot include file TUT_SampleMap.hpp

Preprocessor failed on file p:\tut\TUT_SampleMap\config.cpp - error 1.

Error 3 while parsing

Error in config p:\tut\TUT_SampleMap\config.cpp

Include file p:\tut\tut_samplemap\TUT_SampleMap.hpp not found.

Preprocessor failed on file p:\tut\tut_samplemap\config.cpp - error 1.

Error 3 while parsing

Error in config p:\tut\tut_samplemap\config.cpp

Edited by McNools

Hm, when binarizing the TUT_SampleMap it says there's an error in the config.cpp (error in config P:\TUT\TUT_SampleMap\Config.cpp) , it still finishes binarizing though, but the map doesn't show up in game.

This is the log-file:

Error reading binary file 'p:\tut\tut_samplemap\config.cpp'

Include file p:\tut\TUT_SampleMap\TUT_SampleMap.hpp not found.

Preprocessor failed on file p:\tut\TUT_SampleMap\config.cpp - error 1.

Error 3 while parsing

Error in config p:\tut\TUT_SampleMap\config.cpp

Include file p:\tut\tut_samplemap\TUT_SampleMap.hpp not found.

Preprocessor failed on file p:\tut\tut_samplemap\config.cpp - error 1.

Error 3 while parsing

Error in config p:\tut\tut_samplemap\config.cpp

The .hpp file is created when you export the world through bulldozer. Offhand I'm wondering if you exported it to the wrong folder or if your folder structure needs to be re-adjusted. I would suggest you go back through the tutorial and pay close attention to the directory's srg ace had.

The deal with the config on the tutorial is that it's already settup with the specific directories and names. So one of the things you can do is open the config with notepad and check to see if all of your stuff is in the directories that it's looking for. If you're missing something it's looking for, just look through the tutorial. If you can't figure it out, I'll try and help.

I know I saw that very same thing but I do not remember what I did, just been so long ago.

I think I found the problem, apparently I named the file UT_SampleMap.wrp instead of TUT_SampleMap.wrp, will try if it works now.

Edit: Yup, it worked, thanks! :)

Edited by McNools