Sign in to follow this  
hincu

jumping possible ?

Hi

Can you actually jump in Arma 2? (Over small obstacles - fences, rocks etc). If so - what's the default key for jumping ? I tried to search keyboard settings for jumping but didn't find it (maybe it's beacuse I'm using Polish game version and localization is not good to say the least)

I always get a good chuckle out of newbies asking how to jump. You cannot jump, but you can "step over" with V (As DMarkwick said)

Ι wouldn't mind a 'distance leap' button. You know a button to jump across a gap like between two roofs or something. Instead of jumping in height.

And before everyone starts raving about JUMPING WITH FIVE TONS OF BULLETS ON YOUR BACK MAN, I WAS IN THE ARMY I KNOW I will say that I sometimes play with civilians or lightly armed rebels and shit that carry a gun and a couple of mags.

And sometimes I want to run and leap to the next roof of a building... Instead of falling to my death.

edit: In fact I think all FPS games should be set up around a default human movement template that represents all useful human movements.

RUN/WALK

STRAFE

LEAN

CROUCH/PRONE

JUMP/LEAP/STEP OVER/CLIMB/MANTLE (pulling your self up a ledge as long as your hands can reach it. Remember the Thief games. The weapon is slung round the back or in holster while this action takes place. And of course jumping cannot happen every step. Maybe every few and it must make you tired to avoid bunny hopping)

and let's not forget, all animations that CAN be interrupted MUST BE INTERRUPTABLE! like reloading, standing up, changing weapon etc.

Edited by Master gamawa

Ι wouldn't mind a 'distance leap' button. You know a button to jump across a gap like between two roofs or something. Instead of jumping in height.

And before everyone starts raving about JUMPING WITH FIVE TONS OF BULLETS ON YOUR BACK MAN, I WAS IN THE ARMY I KNOW I will say that I sometimes play with civilians or lightly armed rebels and shit.

And sometimes I want to run and leap to the next roof of a building. Instead of falling to my death.

QFT

I love this sim, like the most hardcore "fanboi"

But the CQB, gun handling and physics need to be reworked, WITHOUT losing any other feature

I've seen RL soldiers do:

1.jumping small gaps like roof tops, small trenches etc.

2.climbing walls, and obviously properly climb them down

3.step over small fences

it's sad only the latter is modeled

Then go Play COD4.

When have you EVER seen a combat soldier jump from one roof to another? If they were an entry team going after hostages maybe. But you'll NEVER see a fully loaded combat soldier JUMP from one place to another. You're carrying nearly 100lbs of gear.

Here's what you do....

Get a couple of good sturdy leather belts. Get two 50lb bags of cement. Strap them to your back. Now go out in the parking lot and jump from one parking space line to another.... Now double it, cause that's the nearly the distance between two tightly packed houses (except in HongKong). If you can jump the distance of a long jumper in the olympics, with 100lbs of cement on your back, I'll SURELY petition BIS to put in a jump. And a Graviton Gun.

Luhgnut;1427018']Then go Play COD4.

When have you EVER seen a combat soldier jump from one roof to another? If they were an entry team going after hostages maybe. But you'll NEVER see a fully loaded combat soldier JUMP from one place to another. You're carrying nearly 100lbs of gear.

Yeap! Here we go!

You could say it's an automated response. They can't even help it! When they detect the word JUMP in any sentence that contains the value 'ARMA' they revert into default mode! "HA! 100 libres of equipment GO PLAY COD4 NOOB!"

Yo! We don't all play FULL COMBAT SOLDIERS man! Sometimes we play.. you know.. other stuff. We play characters that can jump across two meters because they only carry a silenced pistol, kay? Remember the Golder Rule.

ARMA LETS YOY PLAY ANYTHING.

even a dog.

Relax.

Yeap! Here we go!

You could say it's an automated response. They can't even help it! When they detect the word JUMP in any sentence that contains the value 'ARMA' they revert into default mode! "HA! 100 libres of equipment GO PLAY COD4 NOOB!"

Yo! We don't all play FULL COMBAT SOLDIERS man! Sometimes we play.. you know.. other stuff. We play characters that can jump across two meters because they only carry a silenced pistol, kay? Remember the Golder Rule.

ARMA LETS YOY PLAY ANYTHING.

even a dog.

Relax.

Ok... taking the autoresponse out and look at this as THIS IS ARMA2....

WHEN have you had the need in Arma2 to JUMP over something? Are there ditches to jump over? No. Is there a Need to JUMP from one house to another? No. Jump over a soldier laying down? No.

OK... What then? You want to jump over a 10 foot fence? Just what is the dire need to have to jump over a single thing in Arma2. Just name one.

Oh, and learn to spell. You're post nearly made my eyes bleed.

I was about to flame you gamawa but then you made this point...

We play characters that can jump across two meters because they only carry a silenced pistol, kay? Remember the Golder Rule.

...and it becomes completely feasible to have a jump key in this situation.

If I had the choice of "jumping for everyone" or "jumping for no-one" I would definitely choose the latter, but if somehow BIS could have a jump key that only worked under a certain weight (and it's distance and height was also inversely proportional to the soldiers weight), that would be ideal.

Won't happen any time soon though..

Luhgnut;1427031']Ok... taking the autoresponse out and look at this as THIS IS ARMA2....

WHEN have you had the need in Arma2 to JUMP over something? Are there ditches to jump over? No. Is there a Need to JUMP from one house to another? No. Jump over a soldier laying down? No.

OK... What then? You want to jump over a 10 foot fence? Just what is the dire need to have to jump over a single thing in Arma2. Just name one.

Oh' date=' and learn to spell. You're post nearly made my eyes bleed.[/quote']

Me personally? ALL THE DAMN TIME!

I am a roof person, what can I say? When I see a roof, I want to be up there, you know?

I have a thing for fences too.

Ok forget it. I'll quote my self and leave it at that:

edit: In fact I think all FPS games should be set up around a default human movement template that represents all useful human movements.

RUN/WALK

STRAFE

LEAN

CROUCH/PRONE

JUMP/LEAP/STEP OVER/CLIMB/MANTLE (pulling your self up a ledge as long as your hands can reach it. Remember the Thief games. The weapon is slung round the back or in holster while this action takes place. And of course jumping cannot happen every step. Maybe every few and it must make you tired to avoid bunny hopping)

and let's not forget, all animations that CAN be interrupted MUST BE INTERRUPTABLE! like reloading, standing up, changing weapon etc.

Excuse me now, I gonna go and learn to spell... Jeez..

and of course I agree weight should be relevant to running and jumping etc it makes perfect sense.

Edited by Master gamawa

Yeah, Chickens jump. And dogs jump after frisbees. Cows and Pigs too. It's fun to take my pet cow down to the park with a frisbee, and impress the ladies on how high she can jump. I don't take my pig anymore cause she twisted an ankle on a bad landing, but man she had to have gotten at least 2 feet in the air. It was awesome.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Well put. But since this isn't a FPS, then you're point is moot.

It should be possible to mod in a jump function although this would have to be carefully arranged around what kit you have. I would also like to see grapple guns, zip lines and the ability to abseil down a building.

Hmmmm.... I'm going to go away and think about that now.

Am I right in interpreting various statements in this thread as saying that a jump key would essentially destroy everything that makes Arma2 good and different from the COD4 and clones out there? Cause I don't see how a jump/mantle function would break the game.

Obviously the moon jump of other fps games would be stupid and out of place, but a more realistic distance/height such as that actually jumpable by a person carrying 20 odd kgs of gear would be do-able. I've never been in the military, but as a seasoned hiker, I can honestly say I jump streams/logs etc all the time whilst carrying 20+kgs without having to turn to the side and kick my legs up in the air, and while I'm not exactly breaking high-jump records (not to mention it takes a toll on the knees) it is definitely possible. They've made your ability to sprint finite and based on your carried weight in the game, so how would it not be possible to do the same for a jump function, so you can't run around like you're doing a hurdle race, but you can clear objects or gaps when you need to, with sufficient recovery time in between.

Honestly, its not a game breaking lack-of-feature for me, but its kind of like deliberately cutting off a foot so you're different from everyone else, sure, you're different from everyone else, but its only cause you're missing something you should by default have. As others have said, jumping IS part of a human's movement capability, and as an infantry simulator, it would make sense to include it. But I'm not anticipating its inclusion in Op Arrowhead, thats for sure... ;)

r3V.... there are many functions a human can do that's not put into the game, either A) they are unreasonable and not necessary to game play. B) they are unreasonable and not necessary to game play.

Let's model the human body a second for a true simulator:

1) We should make it that every few hours, you have to urinate. And at least once a day, defecate.

2) Being in the field makes you wanting for a the pleasures of a woman, so let's put sexual assault into it as well. Heck we all know how exciting the women are in those towns we take....:now:

3) Able to smoke, spit, fart, laugh, and slap people.

4) Wish to go home after a tour of duty. (You can make it so sad, that you don't even leave camp. Your squad leader would have to give you a pep-talk just so you put on your boots.

5) Trip over things in the woods.

6) Snakes and other venomous creatures, you have to shake out of your boots and your pack.

7) Be able to eat

8) Jump up and down

9) Jump up and then lay prone. Then Jump up again.

10) Have the ability to get mail from home, where you learn your wife is leaving you for your best friend, and your kids forget who you are.

I don't think any of those would break the game would you?

I think you get my point. The bottom line is, combat movement is very slow actually. Majority of the time, under fire, you hardly move. There is no jump key, nor do I think it will ever be implemented, because it's not useful in real life combat, and if it is used, it's so rare that you can't simulate it in the game. Oh I guess you could, you could make it that you can jump 3 feet from a stand still to 6 feet in a run, maybe once an hour.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Luhgnut;1427106']r3V.... there are many functions a human can do that's not put into the game' date=' either A) they are unreasonable and not necessary to game play. B) they are unreasonable and not necessary to game play.

Let's model the human body a second for a true simulator:

1) We should make it that every few hours, you have to urinate. And at least once a day, defecate.

2) Being in the field makes you wanting for a the pleasures of a woman, so let's put sexual assault into it as well. Heck we all know how exciting the women are in those towns we take....:now:

3) Able to smoke, spit, fart, laugh, and slap people.

4) Wish to go home after a tour of duty. (You can make it so sad, that you don't even leave camp. Your squad leader would have to give you a pep-talk just so you put on your boots.

5) Trip over things in the woods.

6) Snakes and other venomous creatures, you have to shake out of your boots and your pack.

7) Be able to eat

8) Jump up and down

9) Jump up and then lay prone. Then Jump up again.

10) Have the ability to get mail from home, where you learn your wife is leaving you for your best friend, and your kids forget who you are.

I don't think any of those would break the game would you?

I think you get my point. The bottom line is, combat movement is very slow actually. Majority of the time, under fire, you hardly move. There is no jump key, nor do I think it will ever be implemented, because it's useful in real life combat, and if it is used, it's so rare that you can't simulate it in the game. Oh I guess you could, you could make it that you can jump 3 feet from a stand still to 6 feet in a run, maybe once an hour.[/quote']

If you have anything of use to say please add it, if you going to try and keep trolling the thread. Please leave!

Anyway, I agree that a weight dependent jump ability would add to the game, not break it.

Well the thing is I'm just not seeing how jumping (at rational distances even for lightly loaded soldiers) would serve any purpose other than to encourage jackassery in multiplayer modes. I cannot recall of any building layouts where jumping from one rooftop to another is feasible without MAXIMUM STRENGTH. Sure there are plenty of opportunities in the industrial areas to fall from a rooftop to a lower rooftop or pipes or whatever(and subsequently break your legs), you dont need a jump button for that, you just run off the edge. Any other reasonable obstacle can be walked over or "crotch stepped over".

Oh, just thought of something, you could jump onto the hood of a car or humvee and thus increase the passenger capacity by two. Yes that would surely legitimize the notion of ARMA 2 as a realistic game, seeing a hummer drive by at 50 mph with two people standing on the hood.

Seriously though, maybe the evasive dive to prone or baseball slide to cover. Hell maybe climbing walls and fences too tall to step over (though really do we want BIS to add features when some existing features are still broken).

But jumping? Why? Jumping is the bane of online play and just looks stupid. Why did Left4Dead have soo many exploits that have just been ironed out in the past couple of months? A very liberal application of jumping. Whats a common complaint (and a real suspension of any feeling of realism) in all military-themed shooters? Jackalobs jumping around in close quarters. I'm just not seeing where jumping has any merit for ARMA 2, if you want to ride a cow, they could make that a selection on the middle mouse button action menu. You can already fall to a lower rooftop and break your legs, you dont have to add a button for that.

If you have anything of use to say please add it, if you going to try and keep trolling the thread. Please leave!

Anyway, I agree that a weight dependent jump ability would add to the game, not break it.

Okay, look at it this way, you are a trained soldier that the government has invested thousands and thousands of dollars of training on you. You are carrying an expensive piece of equipment say a Javelin. One of those is worth around $1.2Million bucks and the rocket you shoot is priced at $250,000 (cheap). You are geared like that, to shoot a multi-million dollar enemy tank. Believe me, the government does NOT want you to jump off a building, onto a building, over a 6 foot fence. You twist an ankle doing a stunt like that and the tank you're supposed to shoot kills one of our multi-million dollar tanks and crew? They would string you up. It's not a question of CAN YOU. But are you supposed to?

It would add to the game. Go onto the BIS bug tracking forum and sign up. Suggest it as a feature. Watch it get shot down.

The End.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

why would you jump? to reach a high branch? Climbing trees is much more a issue than doing jumping jacks...? I really dont see/think of any reason to jump except to get up higher in a object, and then what kinda vertical lift are you talking about, the average man is what 25in... or do we all get top NBA player jumps of 34in+ why the f would i even jump at all if i cant climb in ruins anyways. Maybe for a running leap over a fence, or lil creek in your boots or to a rooftop , but really how far can you do a running Broad jump? 6feet, 12feet or are we all uber, and do the leap in say 25ft whooo!...But then we could make a mod " Track and Field ARMA"

Edited by kklownboy

I disregard 90% of what anyone writes if their join date is that of 2009.

jumping? for the 3 people that will use this properly, there will be 300 that abuse it.

NO to adding jumping of any kind

perhaps a grapple to enable you to climb on roof without access would satisfy your need.

that is what you should be asking for.

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

I'm ambivalent to the idea of added jumping. But, if it's implemented properly, how can people abuse it? I don't see how having the ability to jump a 3 foot gap can be abused. Not that I see many 3 foot gaps in any maps :)

Clambering might be a nice addition, for walls below 2m high say.

-Ziggy-;1427146']I disregard 90% of what anyone writes if their join date is that of 2009.

lol, I have played operation flashpoint since release, due to lack of internet at the time I never joined the community. Once I had the internet (many years later), I had no reason to buy or join the arma community (No one I knew played it, I also lost my version on OPF for a while).

Would It be too bold saying that it could be the BIS fanboys, that halt any "progression" with arma's features, as their scared that "their" game will be "destroyed".

Instead of discussing ways it could be implemented you decide to flame the idea, suggesting it will break the game and you will have 300 new human size bunnies too kill.

*Back to topic*

One thing that annoys me currently with arma2 is when you run up to a fence and go to "jump" over it, your player stops for a moment as if to think about what he about to do. Clearly this is just cause of the change of animations, however it would be nice if when running and pressing "v" the player would do a leap, instead of stopping and doing a scissor jump?

Scissor jump? I kinda see it as a crotch step, makes me cringe at the notion of performing it over a splintery old fence :D

and then you could also trip and fall on your face and incur a injurys ... I am sure you CANT run up to a fence and jump over it 90% of the time.A small fence maybe, but waist high NOWAY.. But then you could try to "vault it" but you cant have your gun in your hands, heck for that matter you cant jump worth damm with a gun in your hands anyways. To leap over a prone body i can see.