Sign in to follow this  
eggbeast

Arma 1.03 reduces bandwidth?

Hi all

Had a look around and couldn't find anyone else with this problem...

We have been hosting Arma 1 since back in the day, and have recently moved over to Arma 2.

Very pleased to see the bug fixes in 1.03 (esp. the marker persistence and pilot frame stutter over sea), BUT

In 1.02 I get a steady bandwidth of 125 and ping of 30.

In 1.03 I get a bandwidth of 5 and wildly swinging ping of 125-300 averaging 220. The desynch starts from the moment I join the server. The same settings are in palce for graphics and view distance and the same mission is running (our version of evolution ported from arma 1).

the server is some hot box, not my clientside piece of crap im describing.

I have the settings on fairly low, as I'm running the game on a AMD 3800 single core (!) but it's lovely in 1.02 so not worried about the CPU choke.

Did something happen in the build of 1.03 that chokes multiplayer bandwidth for certain players with e.g. slower processors? Other people play fine on it, but some of my clan have had same problems.

We have just rolled back our server to 1.02 and it's great again.... but obviously as the patches improve the game over time we'd like to keep up... anyone got any ideas?

nobody else has the bandwidth problem with 1.03 ? weird... please someone reassure me I'm not the only one

will test later today did u remeber to import your server config over to the beta server?

yeah. I basically put our server back to 1.02 and it's fine.

After 1.04 came out I tried putting it just on my PC and connecting to other MP servers to see if I had the problem clientside, rather than changing my gameserver (and having to reinstall it if the problem remained)

the problem remains.

see screenies

this is my bandwidth/ ping on a 60 ping German server

104desync.jpg

this is the same on a 36 ping UK server

104desync36.jpg

when I go back to 1.02 I have a steady ping (all three - min, current and max are about equal) and a steady bandwidth of about 150.

on 1.03 or 1.04 I have a ping varying erratically from 50-500 and a bandwidth of 1-5...

is there anything I can do with my clientside config to remedy this?

I am an evolution nut, having hosted and modded it for 2.5 years now. I have developed so much material in the evolution mission but I can't share it with the community cos I'm stuck in a 1.02 backwater at the moment owing to this problem

ok to prove it works fine on 1.02 here's a screenie of my bandwidth and ping after i reinstalled and patched 1.02 again

104desync102.jpg

have you seen anyone else with this problem?

I'm running

win XP 32bit SP3

directx 9.0c + manual patch

Asus A8N nForce4 SLI motherboard

AMD Athlon 3800 CPU (single core)

2Gb 3200 RAM

512Mb Geforce 9600GT PCI-E bios 62.94.11.00.00

nvidia driver version 180.48

broadband is BT and runs at about 2-3mb.

Every game runs fine, except Arma 2 1.03/4

Is there any way I can get this issue addressed?

All my clan are running 1.4 fine now except me as my bandwidth drops to 5 from 1800 when i go higher than 1.02

Me and my friend are having the exact same problem on our pc's over the net - not that it's totally unplayable but my friend seems to time out from time to time because of that, especially if I'm hosting and I'm on a 10/20mbit line with all needed ports open.

On 1.02 it's fine for me, my friend has the steam version so he can't go back and test it but he says it used to be better before the game was updated through steam.

i've booked in a quad core upgrade... guess it's all we can do as single core CPU is not supported bah!

yup the quad fixed it - so its a "fix" in1.03 that screws bandwidth for those below spec somehow - shame

:mad:

I actually have these desyncs on my system with 1.04:

Phenom 9950 BE 2.6 ghz

Gtx 260 896mb VRAM

8gb DDR 800

Win 7 x64

Anyone have a bandwidth requirement scale or something I can reference?