Sign in to follow this  
Delta 51

Broken Sound

PyOLbobYrUM

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyOLbobYrUM

I made that video to showcase the difference between the 1.03 patch and the latest beta patch. You can obviously see tracers being fired in the beta but you can't hear the MG's firing, there is also MUCH more firing you can hear in the non-beta. You should be able to hear nearly the same amount of firing in both the beta and non-beta but instead there is a massive difference.

I run off of on-board sound on a 750i SLI FTW motherboard.

With regards SOUND, it also seems that the latest Beta patch 58972 is doing something very strange with your sound setup when you enter a game. Before this patch, the game remembers your clientside settings, but now, it changes them.

For example, my client now turns effects off and radio goes to halfway every time I start the game. There is also a sound delay it now seems with Helicopters with rotors turning without any sound at all, for a bit then sound kicks in.

After some short testing it seems that the missing sound problem is mostly gone in 59008. Just sometimes i have missing machinegun sounds in the first burst of an AI shooting in the distance, but the second burst is allways ok. I think the "speed of sound" simulation for the firearms is gone too, assuming that was the cause of the problem.

Grtz Ra!dar

Biggest problem for me at least is when being in a vehicle like a tank. I can't hear when i'm hit. One has to constantly watch the on screen info to know.

Biggest problem for me at least is when being in a vehicle like a tank. I can't hear when i'm hit. One has to constantly watch the on screen info to know.
That is big!.

or ears should ring some maybe too..and shock from the hit also...

Just had a quick test with the 59008 build and for me I hear good improvements, now I hear MG bursts fired from distance again.

More testing is needed to be 100% sure everything works OK but it looks like BIS is on track to nail this pesky sound bug. With latest 59008 build sound is improved so much I now can start use the betas again...

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Agreed. Had a long go just now and had tons of stuff firing all directions. Especially tested with MG's. Didnt notice any sound loss. :)

So your telling me they have fixed the sound and havent even mentioned it in the changelog? lol damn!

Any way im off to test it out...

Just tested shooting MGs, no problem there anymore.

Then I placed two MG squads (BLUFOR/OPFOR) at a distance from each other and gave them orders to "DESTROY" each other. I was listening from a couple hundred meters away. I saw tracers and muzzleflashes flying around, but I did not hear nearly as many shots as there should have been. But maybe I was a bit too far away, could barely see the other guys with bare eyes.

EDIT: Tested with 59025.

Edited by BlueSteel

this worries me as I did not have broken sound with any guns...v72 the only sound glitch I had was helis spooling up gave a 360 degree source.

guess I will have to dload and hold my breath.

LOL at ppl happy big bug fixed and me worried I may now have the bug... :)

Edited by dogz

Im not gonna say its 100% fixed my end incase i come back 2moro saying "opps its not fixed" and look like a dickhead lol. BUT i must say it does seem fixed!! so this is bloody great news! i can finally use the betas now, and that rudder bug fixed! oh boy!!!!!!

this worries me as I did not have broken sound with any guns...v72 the only sound glitch I had was helis spooling up gave a 360 degree source.

Yeah I am happy it's fixed as well. I didn't notice any sounds missing until I ran the soundbug mission, and there was an obvious difference in sound between 1.03 and 1.03.58972.

Most people had that problem. Seems weird you didnt.

Hmmm maybe I wont know until I hear the latest patch

could be I dont know what I am missing

I have only played online but I seem to hear most of what is going on other than the odd lag gap.

I watched the vid in this thread and perhaps I just never see enough action to cause an issue.

I will say tho I always felt things sounded a little flat and lacked any solid 3d feel.

Edited by dogz

3 people agreeing with the "sticking sounds" over at DevHeaven. Just great... Might mean we have to live with not knowing where explosions and other sounds go off. And transfered to Operation Arrowhead as well.

How people can miss this major flaw is amazing to say the least.

Well just played for 3 hours online with v025 and I can hear no diff from what I have always had and doing in depth comp with the vid in this thread it appears that I have always had ok sound only the occasional skip when everything is lagging/pausing.

guess I am lucky, but I have not had many graphics issues either.

ps except for the 360 degree heli spool up sound

Edited by dogz

Just voted yes as well on Dev heaven Alex... everything seems fine for me, however the explosion sound, and if i am not mistaken ( need to test again ) the gunshots, stick to your current view direction.....

Explanation:

Coming out of a tree line, a couple of enemy's just in front....they engage..... i turn around, to run the OPPOSITE direction, the gunshots are still coming from IN FRONT of me, even though they should be behind me....

Makes it very difficult to know who is shooting at you from where...

No other problems concerning sound ( and other major stuff ) to report from my end. all works nicely :-)

Again, thanx BI

Edited by markushaze
spelling

I still have missing sounds. It's much better but it's still there. :(

Need to see if i'm the only one and if so poing my finger toward Creative rather than BIS (Audigy 2 zs platinum pro)

I still have missing sounds. It's much better but it's still there. :(

Need to see if i'm the only one and if so poing my finger toward Creative rather than BIS (Audigy 2 zs platinum pro)

Same card I have, no issues aside from the explosions cutting out etc. Everybody has that though. The rapid fire sound bug was fixed with latest beta patch.

I have to report that I have similar things.

(spec in sig).

Basicly explosions that trigger at a certain position are kind of "captured" at that postion relative to my view, then as I pan the sound is "stuck" to that position in my ear and isnt sticking to the emanated position of the explosion relative to my head view.

So if an explosion goes off to my direct left, if I spin around 360 it will still playout direct to my left (or whatever its triggered position was)... and this is with most distant fire/explosions. Yet bird tweets/ambience seems to pan as expected, and also with walk/running of other ai team mates positions and breathing.

I have all settings correct in driver EAX on/X-fi CMSS-3d on set to auto and 2.1 speakers (I simply have stereo).

I also used this tool someone kindly posted in the mods thread to test xaudio on your system :

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=addons&id=1063

The thread its linked from is here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=83757

I ran it and panning/doppler are all working as they should and in other games. I do know that previously before patches this kind of thing was fine in Arma2 on my rig.

EDIT:

Just updated to the latest beta and all the same results.

So ....

1. explosions distant fire from my FPV = sticking to trigger position and not panning correctly to where the sound is emanating.

2. walking, breathing, birds twitter & ambiance ok

3. Heli all panning ok but not getting the doppler/3d filter effect that gives the feeling of something behind/in front (an any sounds).

4. Gun fire of my FPV weapon isn't panning when i turn my head, nor does it pan around or doppler when in 3rd person view spinning 360 degrees.

Arma1 was fine and I know this was ok out the box on Arma2. This was also working out the box after I updated April Direct X update too. I can use my Xfi 3d test and the tool I linked above and all is working fine and on, just not inside arma2. This is all via XP.

Tested on latest beta/previous beta/stock 1.03 .. with and without (vanilla) sound mods for all .. and always the same.

Edited by mrcash2009

Same card I have, no issues aside from the explosions cutting out etc. Everybody has that though. The rapid fire sound bug was fixed with latest beta patch.

Right thanks. The cutting out is the issue i'm talking about.

Thank you MarkusHaze and Mrcrash2009 for noticing and actually posting about this big problem. I think its very easy to miss it if your not really thinking about it. Since i work with sounds IRL i notice these things pretty fast, and this in particular have had me go nuts many times. Im sure this problem has confused players but they havent reflected on that it is a problem in the game.

I made a video long time ago and i was thinking of making one more with my crappy voice overlayed and explain it in child terms so everyone gets it. I feel like im bitching and whinging, but in the end when this is getting fixed it will help everyone playing this game.

Thanks guys.

So if an explosion goes off to my direct left, if I spin around 360 it will still playout direct to my left (or whatever its triggered position was)... and this is with most distant fire/explosions. Yet bird tweets/ambience seems to pan as expected, and also with walk/running of other ai team mates positions and breathing.

I have the same issue, this also happens with the startup sound of helicopters. The actual engine sound pans fine but the startup sound dont.

Well after testing today, yes the sound has been fixed, HOWEVER, the speed of sound is only working on the first shot, every subsequent shot after that the thump is heard before the crack.

And yeah i have noticed static sounds as well.

Footsteps, gun reloading and ambience (that's what I've noticed in an hour of play) still cutting in and out under 1.04. Thought it might be VOP but even with VOP disabled, it's still happening.

EDIT ** Tested with and without other addons and it's still happening. I notice whenever there is Thunder during a storm, it cuts out reloading, footsteps and other ambient sound to a far greater extent than it does under normal weather conditions.

EDIT #2 ** This seems directly related to a lot of ambient sound and is easily reproducable by setting the weather settings to storm (thunder). Whenever there is Thunder, other sounds start to cut out. This is the easiest way to reproduce it although it happens in other scenarios as well to a lesser extent.

IMHO, the XAudio2 engine is a total bag of shite. They should have stayed with the hardware sound engine from A1/OFP.

Eth

Edited by BangTail