Sign in to follow this  
Njayjay

DMR rifle crosshair zoom when holding breath

I don't quite get this feature. When I use the marksman rifle and pull up the crosshairs and hold breath, the view zooms in as if I were using some kind of scope zoom. I do believe this feature is not supposed to emulate any kind of scope zoom but rather the focusing effect of holding the breath. Isn't this highly unrealistic, since it essentially is changing the augmentation power of the scope? If it's emulating a human focus on the center of the picture shouldnt the crosshair shape change with it (notches spreading outward as the view zooms)? I'm not sure if it does it for all marksman or sniper rifles. I don't get this effect when using M16+ACOG for example.

Edited by Njayjay

There are a lot of weird quirks with weapons, so I expected it was just things developers forgot to change.

No it's because for whatever reason the devs decided to put hold breath and zoom on the same keybind.

Simply make it so hold breath is another key other than "mouse 2" in the options, problem fixed.

No it's because for whatever reason the devs decided to put hold breath and zoom on the same keybind.

Simply make it so hold breath is another key other than "mouse 2" in the options, problem fixed.

So this zoom is actual scope zoom? Or is this still an unrealistic game effect? And how easily can the scope be zoomed in and out IRL?

Some scopes have adjustable magnification in real life I believe. I don't know if the game is realistic when it comes to this but it's not just the DMR, you can zoom with the M107 also.

Some scopes have adjustable magnification in real life I believe. I don't know if the game is realistic when it comes to this but it's not just the DMR, you can zoom with the M107 also.

Many scopes are adjustable. A single scope can have 4x-18x magnification and thensome (even higher than 32x). I guess in the game, its a feature for the designated marksman...The DMR, SPR, and M107 all do it, however the M24 doesnt.

So this zoom is actual scope zoom? Or is this still an unrealistic game effect? And how easily can the scope be zoomed in and out IRL?

It is weapon's zoom, same effect as with iron sights and all. It's annoying as hell. I always bind those functions (zoom&report and hold breath) under different keys.

Easy way to prove that it's weapon's zoom: With maximum zoom with weapon you won't get extra zoom when you hold breath. Ta-da!

It is written by me and many others on this forum WHY there is a zoom function. And the reason is that the FOV you see without having it zoomed in is a ZOOMED OUT view - just like any other FPS because our monitors are smaller than the real life view. In real life we have a lot of peripheral vision, and the only way to simulate that somehow is to zoom out the view.

So the ZOOMED IN view is more the REAL view you would have if you were inside the game. Eyes as close to the monitor as possible so to speak.

Is it weird to be able to zoom at all times? Yeah probably. But we can change the buttons if we want. And we can make addons that doesnt allow us to zoom. Its all about a grown up choice i guess.

Alex

maybe like other games, keep pressing left shift as hold breath when you stop to shoot

maybe like other games, keep pressing left shift as hold breath when you stop to shoot

But Left-Shift toggles walking/running speed :rolleyes:

An alternative reassignment that I use is my 6th and 7th mouse button = pushing the mouse wheel left or right (Logitech G5 Refresh) for zoom-in/zoom-out (the actual assignment is NUMPAD+/-, the default fixed zoom keys).

Of course, as it might be a more rarely used function, you might remap the speed toggle (e.g. to Right-Shift) and now have the Left-Shift free for more regularly used functions, Hold Breath in this case. That's the wonders of customizable controls.

If only one could reserve the Left-Click for firing only, e.g. ignoring an active Context Menu, but that's a separate ticket in the Community tracker...

Edited by WhoCares

Alex, I think he was talking about the zoom in the scope view of the DMR/M107, not the "out of scope" zoom that is indeed for the purpose of allowing you to make up for the lack of ability to properly balance FOV with visibility distance on a monitor. It seems like they used "variable zoom" scopes on the DMR and M107, but I can't tell which RL version of the scope they're trying to simulate. They probably don't simulate any RL scope, though, and are simply messed up (the mildots don't even work unzoomed, even though IRL scopes with variable zoom don't mess up the mildot scale). The M24 scope is the one that is usually used as far as I know, which is a fixed 10X zoom, with a fixed FOV.