Sign in to follow this  
Wags

ArmA 2 worth buying?

Hello! I'm new to the forums.

I recently downloaded the ArmA 2 demo, and I love the game! I play the game in all low setting though. I can just barely run the game. Should I buy the game even though I can only run it in low settings?

wow the arma 2 demo blows dude.

Yes you can get the fps helper addons and then your fps will go higher. OR upgrade

The real game is so much more.

umm.. yes.

In fact, based on your more than 100 extensive written characters combined with my expert understanding of the human psyche, there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that this will be the right game for you.

I recently downloaded the ArmA 2 demo, and I love the game! I play the game in all low setting though. I can just barely run the game. Should I buy the game even though I can only run it in low settings?

Depends on what you're looking for.

If you're looking for a fast paced action game to get involved within a few minutes, you probably shouldn't. If you're patient and seek a infantry simulator which feels pretty realistic because of its dynamic weather, daytime and battlefield (with some rudimentary elements of vehicle simulation), perhaps you should buy the game. But be sure to get some informations around the internet before you make your decision. However the game might have some flaws of its vast complexity, you might also want to know that BIS actually cares about the game and the community. :)

Well if you enjoyed the demo then I don't see why not.

I'm also stuck running it on low settings for now, I still enjoy it but I'm not touching the campaign or playing it very often until I get a new PC.

Man its like that very sexy GF...

she looks great is great in bed... you went on the first date and thought wow this is gonna be awsome...and it is.... but!!!

in time you realise she is highly strung...(crashes alot) moody...(seems to run good some of the time) and jealous...(wants all the attention and resources cpu/ram)

The good outways the bad but sometimes you wanna......

Edited by dogz

if you like a more tactical serious community to play with rather then cod or bf2 style play, then yeah this game is probably for you, but id definitely upgrade so you can take full advantage of this games awesome graphics features.

umm.. yes.

In fact, based on your more than 100 extensive written characters combined with my expert understanding of the human psyche, there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that this will be the right game for you.

Definition of ARMA2 forums douchebagginess that some possess that is a pure magnet for all new comers (sarcasm intended). We really need to get rid of this immature attitude towards ARMA newbies.

I say if you like the demo you should definitely get the game because they have already made numerous improvements and fixes since the demo version.

Its worth every penny. I cant get enough of ARMA2 to be honest. Fantastic realistic gameplay, good graphics, amazing editor, great user made missions out there already, good online, excellent sound and the fun factor is extremely high!

I say go buy it!!!!! My favorite game of 09 so far (for PC and consoles), along with Dawn Of Discovery.

Ther eare a few issues with the game, but its so ambitious and there are so many positive things goign for ARMA2, that a few problems are nothing when compared to the good things. 9/10 for me!

I thought the demo was ok, but I am enjoying the full version a heck of alot more (:

This game's totally worth it, though you might want to wait for the expansion so you can play as the Army lol. Seriously though if you like the demo and the idea of having a combined arms sandbox which supports user made units (read militarys from around the world) then this game is for you.

You'd better wait for the upcoming ARMA2 : Operation Arrowhead

It will be a standalone expansion pack for ARMA2, and it will get more bugs solved, and it might be more mature ,and the most important is, is half the price of ARMA2.

There's some information about ARMA2 : OA

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1418473#post1418473

Edited by msy

ArmA 2 worth buying?
it depends of your system. the game is a huge cpu/gpu hog, so if you dont have fast, at least 3 GHz multicore procesor (i got C2D 4GHz and seems like this is still not enough) and graphics card like GeForce GTX, I wouldn't recomend it. in addition, you may expect a mouse lag thing that makes the game almost unplayble.

sorry for honesty.

it depends of your system. the game is a huge cpu/gpu hog, so if you dont have fast, at least 3 GHz multicore procesor (i got C2D 4GHz and seems like this is still not enough) and graphics card like GeForce GTX, I wouldn't recomend it. in addition, you may expect a mouse lag thing that makes the game almost unplayble.

sorry for honesty.

Patches will increase performance.

Our computers are all plenty strong to run arma 2. The optimization is bad thats why we get so low FPS.

sorry for honesty.

I've played on a system with only an AMD 2.1 Ghz X2. If you have more than that you should be fine, though, the GPU is very important. Let's just say an X1550 is no match for ArmA 2. :p That situation has been remedied, 9800-GTX fixed it.

Edited by b00ce

You'd better wait for the upcoming ARMA2 : Operation Arrowhead

It will be a standalone expansion pack for ARMA2, and it will get more bugs solved, and it might be more mature ,and the most important is, is half the price of ARMA2.

There's some information about ARMA2 : OA

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1418473#post1418473

I disagree because OA does not include ArmA 2 content. I'd rather get both.

At 1.03 ArmA 2 doesn't have serious problems, except for what seems like compatibility issues with certain people's systems.

OA should still be a while away. Plenty of time to enjoy A2 until it comes out.

At the moment I'm playing ArmA 2 on this:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 (2GHZ dual core)

2GB DDR400

Geforce 7800GT 256MB

(I'm sure some will find this hard to believe)

Runs mostly smooth on low settings, although drops below 20 in dense vegetation when I look at trees/bushes.

I'll be running it on something much more powerful soon, probably nest week. It's still enjoyable on this rubbish PC though :D

Edited by Maddmatt

Im not so much into games as tactical simulators this is not played like a game but you really have to be on the ball its a great challenge and I have little problems running it. The editor and addons will give it longevity. Dont be fooled into thinking its a game it really is a simulator that can be unforgiving if you play like any other FPS The only things Ive come across that compare to ARMA2 are OFP and ARMA.

Please give us your system specifications.

Perhaps it's eays and cheap to upgrade.

You sure will want it soon ...

Sure you can have fun - especially with BI-games (like OFP, AA1 and AA2) also on low settings for the great graphics are just a surplus on what really matters (strategical games, openess of the "world" and editoring it all), but you will increasingly feel compelled to see it all it's whole beauty.:)

I first had the specs of the Madmatt (above) and it was only a 100 Euros for the 9600 GT (which is better than most 9800 GT for it has 1 MByte Cache) and a 60 Euros for the upgrade of the cpu to what you see below. And it all was done within minutes of "work".:eek:

Depending on the cpu-socket you may even be able to upgrade cheaply with an Intel cpu. (Though I don't like Intel cpus for Intel didn't have to pay 1 Billion Euros for illegal distribution practises in the EU and elsewhere which harmed consumer interests.):mad:

Definition of ARMA2 forums douchebagginess that some possess that is a pure magnet for all new comers (sarcasm intended). We really need to get rid of this immature attitude towards ARMA newbies.

I say if you like the demo you should definitely get the game because they have already made numerous improvements and fixes since the demo version.

oh comon, the only person who can answer the question, particularly with the amount of info given, is himself. The question has already come up like 12 times since arma2 release and the answers are always the same. And it was intended as a joke anyway. Liven up a little.

if you like a more tactical serious community to play with rather then cod or bf2 style play, then yeah this game is probably for you, but id definitely upgrade so you can take full advantage of this games awesome graphics features.

I will never go to the COD community...the COD community is filled with 12 year old brats who think they know how combat works by playing COD4... :p

Will adding RAM improve my FPS? (Like, if I went from 2 Gigs of RAM to 6 Gigs)

---------- Post added at 03:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 AM ----------

Please give us your system specifications.

Perhaps it's eays and cheap to upgrade.

You sure will want it soon ...

Sure you can have fun - especially with BI-games (like OFP, AA1 and AA2) also on low settings for the great graphics are just a surplus on what really matters (strategical games, openess of the "world" and editoring it all), but you will increasingly feel compelled to see it all it's whole beauty.:)

I first had the specs of the Madmatt (above) and it was only a 100 Euros for the 9600 GT (which is better than most 9800 GT for it has 1 MByte Cache) and a 60 Euros for the upgrade of the cpu to what you see below. And it all was done within minutes of "work".:eek:

Depending on the cpu-socket you may even be able to upgrade cheaply with an Intel cpu. (Though I don't like Intel cpus for Intel didn't have to pay 1 Billion Euros for illegal distribution practises in the EU and elsewhere which harmed consumer interests.):mad:

-Gateway Model GT5618E

-Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 GHz

-RAM: 2.00GB

-Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600GT (latest drivers are installed)

Anything else about my computer I need to list?

Don't think RAM will help, with that PC you wont be using the higher texture detail settings anyway. I have a PC that is a bit weaker than yours, and I decided it's time to replace it.

CPU speed (doesn't matter if dual or quad core), GPU performance and Graphic Memory are important (ArmA 2 is very intensive here).

ArmA 2 doesn't use more then 2GB RAM (it's a 32bit application).

If you've been happy with the performance of the game while playing the demo, I can say from my experience, that the full game doesn't need more system resources. Just when it comes to heavily crowded areas like huge villages or cities the fps will drop instantly.

How much Memory does your Graphic Card have? 512MB should be enough I guess.

CPU speed (doesn't matter if dual or quad core), GPU performance and Graphic Memory are important (ArmA 2 is very intensive here).

Cpu is important in big battles, just make few hundred of units in editor fighting each other, and try change details and screen resulution from 640x480 to 1900 or whatever, fps will be same 20-30 , this means cpu bottleneck

ArmA 2 doesn't use more then 2GB RAM (it's a 32bit application).

If you've been happy with the performance of the game while playing the demo, I can say from my experience, that the full game doesn't need more system resources. Just when it comes to heavily crowded areas like huge villages or cities the fps will drop instantly.

How much Memory does your Graphic Card have? 512MB should be enough I guess.

Only 256MB.

The 8600 GT is the best video card I can get for my system. It's the best one that matches my bus type. Anything else above the 8600GT (Such as 9-series Nvidia Cards) I cannot use because I cannot support them.