Sign in to follow this  
UbiquitousUK

SP Mission: "A Different Kind of War II" by UbiquitousUK

A Different Kind of War Part II

3-diff_kin_war_ii_01.jpg

arma22009083016225985.jpg

This is the second mission in the "A Different kind of War" series, and follows on almost immediately from the first.

As the insurgency on mainland Chernarus intensifies, it is clear that a key source of finance for the insurgents' operations is the illegal manufacture and export of opiates. The recent elimination by Force Recon of insurgent poppy production facilities north east of Krasnostav has impeded the smuggler's activities, but drugs continue to flow out of the region. We believe the drug smuggling operation to be centred around the Russian-controlled island of Utes, just off of the Chernarussian coast. Force Recon is to infiltrate Utes and strike at this drug manufacturing centre.

Since Utes is under Russian control, a helicopter insertion is too risky. You will approach the island from the NE under cover aboard a civilian fishing boat. Your primary objective to destroy the drug consignments at Utes airfield, and at the insurgents' drug factory. But first, as we speak, the Russian T-72 night crew are preparing to move out and begin their patrol. Can you eliminate them before they protect themselves in a 40tonne case of steel? The clock is ticking...

Note: You can't swim with your gear, so make sure to get nice and close to the shore before you and you men disembark from the boat.

This is my third release for Arma II. You might want to check out the first mission in the series: "A Different Kind of War", as well as my other mission, "Sweep & Strike". This mission also has a sequel: "A Different Kind of War III". If you like any of my missions (or if you don't), please stop by with some feedback!

New Version 1.3 (06/09/09) Download: (ArmAholic); (ArmedAssault.info); (FileFactory).

Fixes/Changes in v1.3

(*) Changed AI configuration at airfield to make them a bit more dynamic.

(*) Changed clear airfield objective so that player now only needs to eliminate the insurgents near to the aeroplane.

(*) Added some extra insurgents at the airfield.

(*) Fixed a couple of task markers not working.

(*) Allowed an extra 36 seconds before the tank crew sets-off.

Fixes/Changes in v1.2

(*) Moved insurgent documents to avoid problems with the A.I. on `Black Isle'.

(*) Fixed (an embarrasing number of) typos in the briefing text.

(*) Fixed the briefing text so that the player is no longer erroneously told that extraction is from the vicinity of Olsha.

Fixes/Changes in v1.1

(*) One satchel charge should now suffice to destroy each stockpile of drugs.

(*) Moved the metal boxes at the airfield away from the drugs to reduce confusion.

(*) Added binoculars to player's starting inventory.

(*) Added some more insurgents in and around Strelka.

(*) Added a few more civilians to the north of the island.

arma22009083016222936.jpg

Edited by UbiquitousUK

The mission is quite fun! But I found a weird bug blocking the mission.

For a reason, I am not able to destroy the drugs stockpile at the airport. I place a satchel charge at the weapons crates near the plane and one satchel charge at the ammo boxes (the ones in the net). Everything explode but the ammo boxes stay intact ...so the goal is not achieve.

I did not look at your scripts, but I did not completely cleared the airport yet ...I am wondering if it could be related. I even took the SMAW an shot the boxes again and again ...but they stay intact.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Edited by frag

Group leader doesn't equip with binocular, I have to take it form the sniper.

If I miss the time, how to complete the "eliminate the armor threaten" task?

Hey guys,

To destroy the weapons stockpile you only need to destroy the weapons crates near the plane, but you need to make sure that all four of them get destroyed which usually requires two satchel charges.

If you miss the time on the tank then you need to find it -- it will be out patroling the island -- and destroy it. I shall put the binoculars back in for the next version.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hey guys,

To destroy the weapons stockpile you only need to destroy the weapons crates near the plane, but you need to make sure that all four of them get destroyed which usually requires two satchel charges.

If you miss the time on the tank then you need to find it -- it will be out patroling the island -- and destroy it. I shall put the binoculars back in for the next version.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ok you are right. I got it.

As a recommendation and constructive criticism I would let one charge destroy the crates as people could think its a bug. Believe me I really tried to understand what was happening. You could create a small script that would destroy all the crates when one of those are destroyed or something. You should lock those box as well since you can access those as cargo (but it should not be the same since it supposed to be drugs ;) )

Great mission. I will continue it now and give you some feedback later on.

Frag

Thanks frag, good suggestions there. I guess that moving the metal boxes a little further away should help to prevent confusion.

Edit: I've uploaded a new version, which should have addressed the issues above.

Edited by UbiquitousUK

Thanks frag, good suggestions there. I guess that moving the metal boxes a little further away should help to prevent confusion.

Edit: I've uploaded a new version, which should have addressed the issues above.

Hi Ubi,

I have the same comment for the second drugs emplacement to bust at the base. But that time I knew what to do.

A last comment is that the AI moves very difficultly on the Black Isle. I had to reload an old save game few times because my fellow team members keep getting jammed (something out of your control). But if you want that mission to be flawless, I would not use that location for the camp to search.

I ended up leaving my teammates on the main Island and went lonewolf on that camp.

I did not test the extraction yet.

I had a lot of fun with it.

Frag out :cool:

Love you missions!

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

lol in the briefing it says "Extraction is by MH-60S from the vacinity of the Olsha radar station."

I uploaded a new version tonight which addresses the errors in the briefing, and the A.I. isues around 'Black Isle'. The issue with the drug crates was fixed in version 1.1. Thank you everyone for the continued feedback, it really helps me to continue to make this, and future missions better!

I uploaded a new version tonight which addresses the errors in the briefing, and the A.I. isues around 'Black Isle'. The issue with the drug crates was fixed in version 1.1. Thank you everyone for the continued feedback, it really helps me to continue to make this, and future missions better!

Fun to see that our comments are taken seriously. I will replay your last version soon and let you know how it goes. The mission was already good as it is. I can't wait to try the new version.

Just had a very, very fun couple of hours playing this to completion! Some comments in the spoiler.

The challenge level was very satisfactory. Lots of enemies but they weren't super-coordinated so it was not a suicide mission.

I really liked how the mission starts in daylight and proceeds into night.

The timer for the new tank crew arriving felt very short, I only just barely got there in time.

Really loved how almost all of the guard towers were manned. Too many empty towers in the BIS missions. Also liked the enemy snipers positioned strategically on hilltops (and that darn hidden machine gunner near the runway). Frustrating, but realistic :).

The documents were on the most distant small island (I think I was playing your previous version), and my poor AI buddies kept wandering into deep water and dropping all their equipment. (was fun finding them new pairs of night vision goggles :) ). Also, I was unable to climb the ladder in the lighthouse. Is that normal?

My favorite part - stealing the truck with mounted grenade launcher from the base near the airport and using it to pound Strelka into dust :).

Thanks for your work!

Edited by CaptainEO

Just had a very, very fun couple of hours playing this to completion! Some comments in the spoiler.

The challenge level was very satisfactory. Lots of enemies but they weren't super-coordinated so it was not a suicide mission.

I really liked how the mission starts in daylight and proceeds into night.

The timer for the new tank crew arriving felt very short, I only just barely got there in time.

Really loved how almost all of the guard towers were manned. Too many empty towers in the BIS missions. Also liked the enemy snipers positioned strategically on hilltops (and that darn hidden machine gunner near the runway). Frustrating, but realistic :).

The documents were on the most distant small island (I think I was playing your previous version), and my poor AI buddies kept wandering into deep water and dropping all their equipment. (was fun finding them new pairs of night vision goggles :) ). Also, I was unable to climb the ladder in the lighthouse. Is that normal?

My favorite part - stealing the truck with mounted grenade launcher from the base near the airport and using it to pound Strelka into dust :).

Thanks for your work!

Yeah I got the same problem with my AI buddies getting jammed at the black Isle. But Ubi said he changed the location in the latest version.

Yep.

To be fair, there's not a lot one can do if the AI want to wander off into the sea, so I fixed it by moving the inteligence off of the island altogether. The new location should help to ensure a bug-free experience for all.

It's nearly 2am, that was a long mission, but fun :) Thank you.

Another mission already?!! Nice bud! Thanks so much! I loved The first one in the series and your first missions aswell! Thanks so much! :D

Looking forward to playing this mission today :)

I really wonder where "A different kind of War III" will bring us ;)

Hehe, have no fear: part 3 is well underway. For some teaser details check the spoiler:

A Different Kind of War III will carry the (perhaps enigmatic) subtitle "India Down", and see the player return to Chernarus, where he takes on the role of a Force Recon sniper. Using inteligence gathered from the Utes mission, it's time to go after the drug lords responsible for orchestrating the entire smuggling operation.

There are going to be some moments and features which I think you guys will love, and I hope you come back to check it out when it's ready!

arma22009090212582299.jpg

Edited by UbiquitousUK

Just finished the part#2 mission today bud, loved it!

Cant wait for your Part#3! Sounds good!

I didn't like this so much. It was all fine until I approached the airfield from the SW then I started sniping cardboard targets. Then I had to sweep thru the entire airfield for enemies just standin there doing nothing in hopes of completing the objective. Felt like I was playing delta force there for a minute. I haven't played past that part cos I still can't get the objective to complete.

Edited by Njayjay

Just had the time to play this through yesterday - Great job, I really like how the mission is large in scope but still manages to stay very much comprehensible and structured (as opposed to some more or less similar missions in the official campaign). There are also alot of choices to be made, some that have a large impact on the mission and some that don't really matter that much - The point is, there are choices to be made in this mission, and that's a good thing.

The atmosphere is also great - The passing of time within the mission really helps immersion, would enjoy more "timers" though, perhaps secondary objectives that will fail unless they are acheived before a certain time. Perhaps this can be incorporated in the third installement of this series?

I have one point of critique however, and that is in agreement (to some extent) with Njayjay's. The airfield objective was rather underwhelming, I had expected a hard fight, but it turned out the hard part was finding every individual soldier hiding out within the complex.

Anyway, great job! Looking forward to mission number three, and whatever concept you begin work on after that.

This mission is great fun. I love running all over Utes to hit every target.

I couldn't finish it,though. The T-90 was not on the map and the airbase would not count as cleared (this may have something to do with the creator's tendency to stick AI in dastardly places.) so I couldn't extract.

Yea i'm not sure how realistic it is to place a sniper on the hilltop overlooking the airfield. Definitely catches one off guard but these kind of things break the immersion for me. Hopes this serves as constructive criticism for the next installment.

Yea i'm not sure how realistic it is to place a sniper on the hilltop overlooking the airfield...

I'd say it is very realistic - In Sweden for instance we have ranger units that specialize in securing military aifields, it goes without saying that snipers play an important role in doing just that. The sniper overlooking the airfield was actually a great touch, killed off my entire squad during one of my playthroughs.

My issue with the airbase objective was the lack of response from the units inside of the base - The DShk equipped pickup for instance would have been nice to be faced with after the initial assault, but it just stood there waiting, quite similar to the rest of the units inside the airfield.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great feedback again! I've just put up a new version that will (hopefully) address some of the issues that you have been discussing. Mainly: the guys at the airfield should now be more dynamic in the sense that they will move around a bit more and be more active in engaging the player (although, it seems to generally be the case that if you stand sniping any units from far enough away then their buddies will remain idle unless explicitly programmed to move the player's position). I also removed the clear airfield objective, which i guess was a bit tiresome, and replaced it with a simpler objective requiring the the insurgents near to the plane be killed. I guess the player will do this before approaching the plane anyway. I marked the area on the map that needs to be cleared in red, just to prevent unnecessary confusion. To compensate for this change, i beefed the insurgent presence at the airfield up a little.

There were also a few more small changes; notably, the timer on the tank was lengthened a bit so that the player has a bit more time to get there and stop it before it sets-off.

I am reasonably confident that all of the objectives in the mission will complete. In particular, the T-70 will definitely be on the map--if you're too late to catch it before it leaves the base then it will be on patrol somewhere, which can make it tricky to find: that's the incentive to get there on time!

Good to see another mission from you!I've been on holiday for a week so just come back & seen this,looking forward to playing it!your one of my favourite mission makers, not just for the missions themselves but the fact you listen to whats said & make lots of positive changes so that the missions are just right!keep up the good work :D