Sign in to follow this  
terox

Zeus Gaming Nights

Cheers for the fast reactions of the sergeant. Also this shows you why you shouldn't let little kids join the army ;)

Safety rule 453: Never throw an Arma 2 grenade if there's a tree or tall building in a 20m radius in a 90 degree angle in front of you.

How many people did we lose to actual enemy fire in that mission anyway? It seems like the AI doesn't utilize the rocks (or any other cover for that matter) nearly as well as humans do :)

Hi galzohar

Well I survived, we did loose a fair few though. I finished the mission clearing the rooms of the enemy barracks I got two of my kills there.

This version of the mission resulted in a few more soldiers holding their ground rather than human waving us; as they did in the first version. So it was better than the previous version. I really think you should shift from that script to a Guard and Hold triggers in that mission, at the very least try it it is not too complex.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Next version is already up with something that should make them hold positions in a much better way. Monsada says he fixed the "NOFOLLOW" parameter which makes patrol stay in their designated zones and not chase enemies outside of those zones, which should result in a proper defensive behavior.

Guard/hold don't get anywhere near the results you and I want. At least according to the wiki the behavior you get from those is trivial compared to what you get from UPS/UPSMON, and as I said, with the newly fixed "NOFOLLOW" parameter things should work much much better.

Edited by galzohar

Hey!

Stop dissing the guard waypoint, man! It's the best thing since whipped cream.

Period.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Waypoint:Guard

Specifically:

The units will unerringly move to the 'Guarded By' triggers, positioning themselves exactly on top of them.

and:

the internal communication between Guard groups isn't always the best. Often they set out on a mad race to see who reaches the trigger first, and then when whomever was fastest is within a set distance, they're declared "winners", and everyone else lumbers back to their Guard waypoints.

And a bunch of other silly stuff. I really don't see what's so great about it other than creating "waves" of enemies, but since this is not a tower defense game I don't see the point in that.

Anything good I can see that is written about guard waypoints in the wiki, UPS/UPSMON do as well and in a much better way. So unless you can tell me stuff about guard waypoints that aren't in the wiki, I just don't see your excitement about them.

Guarded by waypoints are best used without guarded by triggers.

If the ai are left alone and the server has enough fps to manage the AI, you can get some surpsingly good results

No triggers - all Guard groups stay at their Guard waypoint.

And that's all the wiki says about what those waypoints do when you have no triggers. Anything that isn't written there that I should know? Because otherwise I don't see the difference between this and a "MOVE" waypoint.

if you have several groups at guarded waypoints, (which arent joined to a trigger). These groups will act as Quick reaction forces for the entire mission area.

When the opposing side makes an offensive move, the engine seems to select the most appropriate QRF group from the choice of those on guarded by waypoints to counter attack.

It tends not to send an inappropriate group even if its the only group available.

So I would imagine, it decides if

a: Does the group being attacked need help

b: If so what is the makeup of the attacking force and from the selection available what should it send.

For example,

I have seen the engine (In OFP) select 3 mech infantry sections (all from different guard waypoints) containing a BMP each with infantry aboard to 3 different points around a forest containing a group of enemy players. Dismount the infantry and send 1 group in to look for the players while the other groups hold position on the perimeter.

That is without any scripting, just simply having 3 BMP's at different guard waypoints

Today (for us yanks) was the first time that we played in the Zeus COOP and it was a blast! We have been looking for a server or a group that played with a bit of organisation and had some interesting missions and today we found it during the Zeus COOP!

I think around 20-25ish people showed at one time and we played some really fun missions.

We loved all of the missions we played! Everyone who joined the server seemed cool and laid back. It was nice to play in a server with some cool people.

We know what we are doing Thursdays and when I can make it on Sundays!:)

Thanks for letting us join in even without comms!

Three words for today ---- FUN AS HELL!

Edited by kMaN_(KYA)

Nuttex, it may be useful if you download and run Zcommon (as explained in the first post), that way not only you can be sure to have anything missions might be using, but you will also have the useful small addons included such as STHUD and others.

All in all, nice video, too bad you didn't get to actually shoot anything yourself ;)

I'd like to add that the complete TS cock-up in the background is due to the fact that Nuttex was on platoon net (he was "Alpha"), so you're actually hearing two seperate nets in the video, plus the loose chit-chat on voip.

If anything, Zeus is a schizophrenia-inducing experience :D

Also, KMAN and REN from KYA did a cracking job, good on ya lads. Hats off to 1.sk as well; it takes a brave man to make this his first MP experience in Arma 2.

Playing tonight?

-k

Yup, starting right about now.

How's that for forewarning? :D

Yup, starting right about now.

How's that for forewarning? :D

blaming you for tonight hund. your forewarning was one of doom and disaster.

Something from the last gaming night:

6Hm7cdVzMG4

Tried to use the yoma tool, but it gave me an error after the first three updates (I believe they are @cba). Waited a good long while after that since it said "calculating", but nothing happened. Updating ACE with six-updater works like a charm for me, so I don't understand why it hangs on a mod that is already installed...? Easiest thing for me would be to download the @zcommon and install it on my own, but since they don't give you that option ,I guess I'll have to pass on playing on this server. Too bad cause I really like the gameplay as shown in the videos...

Dunno why you are having problems. Do you have the latest version of Yoma's? Everyone else seem to download it just fine. If you actually want help you're going to have to be more specific (and if that doesn't work, ask in a thread where you are more likely to receive helpful technical support for Yoma's tool).

I don't know Galzohar, everything worked fine upto step 11 in the Zeus manual, meaning the actual downloading of the add-ons. I'll give it another try as it seems the problem is on my side, if it works fine for just about everybody else.

If you continue to have problems, then drop on our TS3 server any night but a gaming night, plenty of guys to help you out (Same IP as our TS2 server )

teamspeak.zeus-community.net

The tool and set up are very stable, it could be possible, that when you tried to connect, it was temporarily down while being updated

Edited by Terox

Everything installed fine second time around, problem was I had to refresh the adress a couple of times before I got the download addons option. After that it was pretty quick since I already have ACE installed.

Now only to find your server:D It doesn't come up in my browser and I can't find the remote adress in the manual (seems I'm having a bad pc-day lol)

Just "zeus" in the filter works. Join the one with players in it ;)

well hopefully you will get in on Sundays session m8, look forward to seeing you then

the main game server is called #Zeus 1