Sign in to follow this  
terox

Zeus Gaming Nights

Zeus Community Gaming Nights

As of the release of ArmA3 Alpha, we only play ArmA2 on Sunday nights (ACE MOD)

• Current Mod SUNDAYS: ACE Mod
  • Current Addon Pack: @Zcommon
  • Current Comms::
  • We use a mixture of Teamspeak and ingame VOIP and sometimes ACRE

About @Zcommon:

This is a relatively small addon pack that contains a selection of 3rd party islands and a few client-side addons that you may find useful.

If you do not turn up with @Zcommon we will try to accomodate you, however it will limit us with the choice of islands that we can play on

@zcommon was last updated on 13th January 2013

Available as a YOMA repository

Available from SixUpdater Click on Link: sixupdater://zeus-community.net/six/Zeus.yml Select Zeus from available servers

Zeus Manual:

We have created a :icon_arrow: zeusmanual.pdf which is designed to guide you through downloading and configuring all the files and applications that you will need to play with us.

This includes

• Teamspeak 3 (We do however use the built in VOIP system during missions)
  • Yoma's addon Sync (Used to download and sync our @Zcommon addon pack)
    If you have issues with the Yoma addon sync AutoConfig.
    manually copy the following line into it

http://zeus-community.net/yas/zeus/yas2302.7z

NB>> This initial post will be kept up to date, any changes to our scheduling or player requirements will be edited here

WHO ARE WE

• We are an English Speaking Multinational Gaming Community, our members spawn from Europe and the US
  • Age range from 20 to 50.
  • We have been around since the early days of OFP and are still going strong today.
  • There is no recruiting process, no rank structure, simply turn up, get on Teamspeak and play
  • We play organised coop, which has a simple command structure

Mission Commander (Uses voip command net to group leaders)

Group Leader (Command net to commander, group net to squad/fireteam)

Group Member (Uses voip group net to speak within the fireteam/squad)

SCHEDULED EVENTS

EVERY Thursday 19:30 hrs
to Midnight CWR Mod

EVERY Sunday 19:30 hrs
to Midnight ACE Mod

All times are based on UK Local time

The current UK local time is displayed on our website as "Server Time"

The server is rarely password protected, however if it is use

Server Password:
Zeus

To find our server, filter "Zeus" in your Gamespy browser or remote connect using the IP address in the Zeus Manual linked too below

LINKS

:icon_arrow:
Website

If You Need Help

Initially, refer to the Zeus Manual, mentioned and linked to above.

If this does not answer your query, then drop onto teamspeak where any member will be able to help you.
Edited by Terox
Updating community details

Count me in. Had lots of fun on Zeus in the couple of times i've been on it, and will definitely be on for more. You picked two shocking nights for your public nights though :(:D

Would show up, but RBC have their missions on those two days, at those two times!

You picked two shocking nights for your public nights though :(:D

We have traditionally played on those two nights, we have always found it to have the highest turn out

However we do have things in the pipeline for other nights and would love to get back to 24/7 coverage

coop? no thanks

I used to be all for CTF and C&H (PVP)

However I now find those type of missions nothing more than a fragfest, which other games cater for far better.

I find it much more entertaining to work with others in a coop to achieve an end goal, than I do being a loner on some CTF mission which are rarely well led if led at all.

ArmA was built for large scale battles and we believe we fully exploit that

However I now find those type of missions nothing more than a fragfest

fragfest on CTF yes, and plays extremely well. no fragfest on other pvp gametypes. more of a scenic walk around by yourself usually. just not enough people playing.

I find it much more entertaining to work with others in a coop to achieve an end goal

working with others to achieve an end goal is exactly what happens on a good pvp server, except its against other people and not against artificial bots. far more rewarding, less predictable, more fun. PVP IS COOP, without the bots.

again, not enough people playing the far superior pvp gametype. if there were as many charlie foxtrot type servers stuffed with players as there are coop ones then people would have the chance to see why pvp is a superior game.

And if you enjoy playing with Zeus so much ( :P ), you can always hop on the Teamspeak server and say hi. We're usually testing/editing our own missions, or playing ArmA2. And we play a few other games as well.

We have traditionally played on those two nights, we have always found it to have the highest turn out

However we do have things in the pipeline for other nights and would love to get back to 24/7 coverage.

That's good to hear.

I'll be on on Thursday for sure!

Is that Tonight Thursday? And if so is it more than 1 mission as almost 5 hours seems very heavy going.

yeah, we'll be playing tonight. and yes, we play more than one mission in 5 hours :D . On an average night, i'd say there 4 or so missions being played, with the more serious stuff being around the middle.

And just to reiterate, although teamspeak is not mandatory, i highly recommend you join our teampeak server, even if you dont have a microphone, to listen in.

Last nights gaming consisted of:

1 Platoon sized co-op which lasted about 90 minutes.

1 Company sized PVP using high command with 1 Human platoon 3 AI platoons for Blufor V 4 player led AI platoons on Redfor. Blufor got raped game lasted 30 minutes.

1 Platoon co-op led by me which was spoiled somewhat by TKing and the odd rambo! lasted an hour

1 PVP mission in which 1 fully crewed M1A2 has to run the gauntlet of RPG hunterkiller groups and recon/sabatuers with MI17(Civ) recon chopper. Lasted maybe 40 minutes.

That should give you an indication of what a normal session consists of. If you want to play CTF/C&H then maybe zeus is not the place for you, but if the idea of a large scale PVP with AI appeals pop along on Sunday evening and I hope you won't be dissapointed.

And a welcome to all the guys who made it onto Teamspeak and enhanced our gaming night:welcome:

Great fun again last night. Platoon mission was ace evn though it fell apart a bit for Alpha3 after Rabbit died. (I don't know if KL posts on here but if he does, wtf happened?:D If you CTD'd after the heroic dash to the water towers, your AI replacement took it upon himself to run back out into the open like a wasted hippie and got himself lit up:eek:)

WP was great fun again even if it was an excercise in over thinking the route and tree spotting before the (ahem) trigger incident. (how i lol'd:D)

Saw again last night what a task the server admins have dealing with numpties and agree that the only course of action is perma-bans (though that's the opinion of an observer, and it's probably not as clear cut as i imagine(nor really to be discussed here, sorry))

Love the mix of serious and fun missions, and finishing with a 'kill-em-all' encounter was great. look forward to Sunday.

SERVER UPDATE

The server now runs "verifySignatures = 1;"

This blocks any player trying to connect to our server with any addons that are not in our "Allowed List"

This list is available fromm the reference section of our Community Manual, Linked too below

This has been implemented for various reasons including fixing stability issues caused by players connecting while running some poorly written addons.

ZEUS COMMON ADDON PACK UPDATED

Now at Version 1.01

Our add-on pack contains client side only add-ons. You do not need them to play on our server, none of the missions require them. However we feel they enhance your gaming experience and therefore advise you to download and install them.

Our Community manual has a tutorial which explains how to set up a mod folder to run these addons and also a full listing of the content in it's "Reference" section

Download it from

Zcommon_1.01Full.exe

TEAMSPEAK KEYBINDINGS UPDATED

Over the past couple of gaming sessions we have re-attempted to use Channel Commander for Command net communications in Teamspeak.

After ironing out a few teething issues, we have now reached a point where it is now used fairly efficiently and therefore a new set of keybindings have been created to add this functionality

Our community manual has a tutorial on how to install

Download it from

Latest Teamspeak Keybindings

ZEUS COMMUNITY MANUAL UPDATED

This has been updated to reflect the above changes

Grab the latest from

Zeus Community Manual

Last mission tonight was pretty cool, just needs some bug fixing and clearer briefing notes ;)

I think something that will make a huge improvement is making shorter contact reports. "enemies... I think... south east? no south... In those trees..." just doesn't work too well. Something like "Infantry 210 400m" or "Infantry front 50m by the red house" is much better. Basically it often sounds like people hit their push to talk button and then think what they want to say. I think the channel would be a lot clearer if people do it the other way around, even though at first it might feel "slower" to report contacts.

Also for whoever makes the missions, setting it to "respawn=SIDE" may have a very positive effect on missions that are played with lower than maximum number of players. Sometimes you just can't trust that AI to do something right and want to switch into him and do it yourself. It'll also remove the need to re-log to the server and cause JIP lag when you have nobody in your group to switch to, as you can switch to any playable unit on your side.

To handle notes and tasks for missions with "respawn=side", you need to create them for every unit on every client, here's an example script that will handle notes and tasks in a jip-compatible and teamswitch-compatible fashion:

waitUntil {!isNull player};

{
_x createDiaryRecord ["Diary", ["Credits", "Mission by GalZohar"]];
_x createDiaryRecord ["Diary", ["Execution", "Your team is to reach Utes by boat, and use laser designation to guide hellfire missiles to their targets."]];
_x createDiaryRecord ["Diary", ["Friendly forces", "Friendly forces consist of 10 marines on a RIHB and an <b>AH-1Z on standby, which must be returned unharmed</b>."]];
_x createDiaryRecord ["Diary", ["Enemy forces", "The island is fully controlled by insurgents. On top of the patrols surrounding the islands and holding the towns, there are also 2 mounted patrols and 3 mounted squads and an Mi-8 on standby, expect them to react once you are detected."]];
_x createDiaryRecord ["Diary", ["Mission", "Destroy insurgent objectives in Utes"]];
} forEach blueforUnits;

_countBlueforUnits = count blueforUnits;

_taskHelo = [];
{_taskHelo = _taskHelo + [_x createSimpleTask [""]];} forEach blueforUnits;
for "_i" from 0 to ((_countBlueforUnits)-1) do
{
(_taskHelo select _i)
	setSimpleTaskDescription
	["Return the cobra to <marker name='mrkBase'>base</marker> unharmed.", "Return cobra unharmed", "base"];
};

_taskMi8 = [];
{_taskMi8 = _taskMi8 + [_x createSimpleTask [""]];} forEach blueforUnits;
{
(_taskMi8 select _i)
	setSimpleTaskDescription
	["Destroy the standby Mi-8, it should be somewhere around the <marker name='mrkAirfield'>airfield</marker>.", "destroy Mi-8", "airfield"];
};

_taskSU25 = [];
{_taskSU25 = _taskSU25 + [_x createSimpleTask [""]];} forEach blueforUnits;
{
(_taskSU25 select _i)
	setSimpleTaskDescription
	["Destroy the SU25 in the <marker name='mrkHanger'>hanger</marker>.", "Destroy SU25", "hanger"];
};

_taskC130J = [];
{_taskC130J = _taskC130J + [_x createSimpleTask [""]];} forEach blueforUnits;
{
(_taskC130J select _i)
	setSimpleTaskDescription
	["Destroy the <marker name='mrkC130J'>C-130J</marker> on the runway.", "Destroy C-130J", "C-130J"];
};

_taskTower = [];
{_taskTower = _taskTower + [_x createSimpleTask [""]];} forEach blueforUnits;
{
(_taskTower select _i)
	setSimpleTaskDescription
	["Destroy the airfield's <marker name='mrkTower'>control tower</marker>.", "Destroy control tower", "control tower"];
};

_taskAmmo = [];
{_taskAmmo = _taskAmmo + [_x createSimpleTask [""]];} forEach blueforUnits;
{
(_taskAmmo select _i)
	setSimpleTaskDescription
	["Destroy the 3 ammo caches at the <marker name='mrkAirfield'>airfield</marker>.", "Destroy ammo caches", "airfield"];
};

_taskMi8 spawn
{
waitUntil {helodestroyed};
hint "Mi-8 destroyed.";
for "_i" from 0 to ((count _this)-1) do
{
	(_this select _i) setTaskState "Succeeded";
};
};

_taskSU25 spawn
{
waitUntil {aircraft1destroyed};
hint "SU25 destroyed.";
{
};
};

_taskC130J spawn
{
waitUntil {aircraft2destroyed};
hint "C-130J destroyed.";
{
};
};

_taskTower spawn
{
waitUntil {towerdestroyed};
hint "Control tower destroyed.";
{
};
};

_taskAmmo spawn
{
waitUntil {ammodestroyed};
hint "Ammo caches destroyed.";
{
};
};

_taskHelo spawn
{
waitUntil {cobraFailed};
hint "Helo took critical damage.";
{
	(_this select _i) setTaskState "Failed";
};
};

_taskHelo spawn
{
waitUntil {boolComplete};
{
};
};

This creates all notes and tasks for every unit for every client and updates them in a JIP-compatible fashion, assuming the variables that trigger the task changes are properly initialized and updated.

Glad you enjoyed it, Mr. Galhozar.

As for side respawn, this is mostly a case of us being plagued by tradition. In the good ol days we often had slots that we did not want anyone to touch, least of all players. And when arma came out side got all buggered up - it was fixed at some point, but once the rumor comes out that something is broken, the damage is already done.

But I might look into a mission with side respawn instead of group, since it does make things a lot smoother for some scenarios. Thanks for the heads-up!

My current predicament arose with respawning into non-playable AI in AI-leading scenarios. I am pretty sure this was doable in the old days, but now it doesn't work for some odd reason. The result is hell of a lot of playables on company vs company AnDs, which was not really the idea :rolleyes:

Edited by Hund

Yeah, the issues I've noticed with side respawn are:

- Notes/tasks, solved by the above script which doesn't even do much when there are no tasks/notes to updates.

- Hard to tell which one you're switching to. Adding a good description in the text helps in infantry situations, but fails badly when you're inside a vehicle. In fact, I've had a very hard time being able to tell what I'm switching to in just about any mission with vehicles. There may be a way to work around that though, as I probably didn't try hard enough. If someone decides to really make a fat-ass project we could just have some nicer team switch GUI for those bigger missions.

- Can be a big mess, but then again you can always tell people to only switch to units within their squad unless told otherwise. Also the likeliness of someone swapping into a pilot slot and crashing the helicopter is probably similar to the likeliness of someone just firing his RPG into the ground killing his squad, and should be handled in the same fashion ;o

- Not sure how the F2 markers would work with it, though I doubt it would be too complicated to fix.

The benefits are pretty nice, though. I could actually make a mission where you have a helo waiting on the LHD that you only really want to use at the end of the mission, yet the mission doesn't require the pilots to sit on their asses through the whole mission since you can just team switch into them when the helicopter is needed (the mission is made so that you definitely do NOT want to use it at the start). Also the already mentioned issues that require JIP to solve would no longer happen.

I've never seen anything similar to someone able to spawn into somethign that is unplayable. If there was such a bug before, then it is either fixed or is rare enough that I hadn't seen it.

Edited by galzohar

SERVER UPDATE

"verifySignatures = 1;"

has now been turned off, too much backend admin to police this

ZEUS COMMON ADDON PACK UPDATED

Now at Version 1.03

Our add-on pack contains client side only add-ons. You do not need them to play on our server, none of the missions require them. However we feel they enhance your gaming experience and therefore advise you to download and install them.

Our Community manual has a tutorial which explains how to set up a mod folder to run these addons and also a full listing of the content in it's "Reference" section

Download it from

Zcommon_v1.03Full.exe

Grab the latest from

Zeus Community Manual

We currently run BIS Vanilla and vary our gameplay from CooPs to A&D

and play organised gaming sessions every Sunday & Thursday. 20:00hrs UK time

Hope to see you there :)

Edited by Terox

SERVER UPDATE

"Now Running ACE Mod public Beta with ACEX"

We have written a short tutorial in our Zeus Manual which takes you through the stages of downloading, installing and setting up your ACE Mod and the desktop shortcut using Yoma's addon sync 2009

For the time being, we kindly request all our members and guests do not load any third party addons with this mod until such a time as we can update @Zcommon with addons that have been checked to be ACE compatible. Thanks

More information is available on the 1st post in this thread

Your -mod folder shortcut should look like either

-mod=beta;@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX

or

-mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX

Grab the latest from

Zeus Community Manual

We vary our gameplay from CooPs to A&D

and play organised gaming sessions every Sunday & Thursday. 19:30hrs UK time

Probably the last missions to be played with BIS before we move on to ACE2.

Note: If you're a non-swearing softy ( ;) ), put on your language hat.

Here are some videos by Fish.

http://www.ghostsofp.com/Videos/Zeus002.wmv

http://www.ghostsofp.com/Videos/Zeus003.wmv

Two missions I recorded on the 29th of November:

Co23 Rescue

juepMQkyDX0

Co20 Slide Down a Carrot (Part 1)

fJOHlWjWOdk

Co20 Slide Down a Carrot (Part 2)

O87SNxWeg3E

And Zeus doing the bravest thing a man can do (recorded by mike):

pGfKpDPqyOU

Edited by IceShade

SERVER UPDATE

"Now Running ACE Mod public Beta 1.87with ACEX" and our additional addon Pack @Zcommon

We have written a short tutorial in our Zeus Manual which takes you through the stages of setting up the Yoma Addon Sync tool and using the tool to download the required addons and mods that we run including setting up any desktop shortcuts you will need

More information is available on the 1st post in this thread

Your -mod folder shortcut should look like either

-mod=beta;@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@zcommon

or

-mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@zcommon

Grab the latest from

Zeus Community Manual

We vary our gameplay from CooPs to A&D

and play organised gaming sessions every Sunday & Thursday. 19:30hrs UK time

Hi all

Just wanted to say last nights game on Zeus was the best ArmA or OFP game ever!

Kind Regards walker