Sign in to follow this  
ray243

A District 9 mod?

I watched the movie District 9, and it can be interesting if there is a mod based on the movie. Since Arma 2 is big enough for a large District, I find that Arma 2 would be an Ideal game for District 9. It would be interesting to see the aliens fighting against the MNU. What do you people think?

Good movie, but i don't really think this would go well with arma. maybe when AO comes out and we have a nice sandy map.

yeah funny that you mentioned this. i just watched the movie and i guess ive been playing too much arma because when i saw the MNU troops i thought "hey they would look cool in arma 2!". lol

I would like to see District 9 like shanties and slums densely packed together with lots of obstacles (garbage and such) in ArmA2 for some fun CQB.

Without making a new skeleton or new animations, the mnu are certainly possible, the aliens and alien weapons are possible to do in a limited way... not sure about the mechs, though.

Without making a new skeleton or new animations, the mnu are certainly possible, the aliens and alien weapons are possible to do in a limited way... not sure about the mechs, though.

i thought was what u meant my bad

lol just imagine those white trucks and gear with the amount of bloom ArmA2 already cranks out on white/bright colored objects.

Someone needs to start this ASAP, it would be well received me thinks...

i thought was what u meant my bad

I don't know what's possible in the ArmA 2 engine. I've seen mechs in the OFP engine and they looked... well, let's put it in a non judgemental way:

It looked like they were well outside of the engine's ability to animate.

Yes! a district 9 mod would be pretty awesome to see in arma 2. Prawns would be the only concern with skeletons and animations. But the new weapons would be amazing to have fun with especially the prawn weapons which we would have trouble with since its suppose to be dna based so humans shouldn't use them but.... oh well.

i may be able to get the 3d files of the models/weapons etc used in the movie. I'll let you know if i can.

Yes! a district 9 mod would be pretty awesome to see in arma 2. Prawns would be the only concern with skeletons and animations. But the new weapons would be amazing to have fun with especially the prawn weapons which we would have trouble with since its suppose to be dna based so humans shouldn't use them but.... oh well.

I'm pretty sure you could use the ArmA 2 skeleton in clever ways to fake the prawns. Their ankle joint (their tib/fib bone and their tarsal bones, or whatever passes for those) would just be bound to the knee joint and would not be able to articulate. Their legs would move as if they had a regular human leg, and they would animate using the regular soldier animations, of course.

I found the prawns to be quite expressive in the movie, though, and the ArmA 2 facial rig would not be appropriate for the Prawn face. It's a shame because they had a lot of character in the film. I really liked the Prawns. I thought that they were a triumph of design. They looked cool and their faces appeared quite alien but they were expressive and sympathetic characters.

Edited by Max Power

Now that you mention D9, I hope something like BAS's Congo or whatever that one mod for OFP is but I forgot the name, something of a South African conflict would be a great mod.

Now that you mention D9, I hope something like BAS's Congo or whatever that one mod for OFP is but I forgot the name, something of a South African conflict would be a great mod.

its called the Bushwar mod. :)

independence day would be better. way better.

Edited by SASAli

same as Roe, this would make a fantastic mod for arma 2 IF it can be done with the tools availible and if the engine permits.

Offtopic: Prawn better come back in 3 years! lol.

Offtopic: Prawn better come back in 3 years! lol.

If he doesn't, I'll strangle that fook'n prawn!

D9 reminded me of Farcry 2 and HL seemed to be a mix :) great film :)