Sign in to follow this  
Staker

How come they didn't add SeaKnight?

Hey,I was just wondering why there's no CH-46 in Arma 2

I gotta say it kinda disappointed me,I knew the game will be around Marines so I expected that there will be SeaKnight

there are CH-46 WIP reports since OFP but still no one released one

maybe in Arma 2 someone will finally make CH-46 addon...

theres chinook modification somewhere :)

it's kinda like that but british

theres chinook modification somewhere :)

it's kinda like that but british

CH47 Chinook ≠ CH46 Sea Knight

As for why they did not include this or a CH53 by default in the game... well, I guess it would just make too much sense to have a comparable adversary (in terms of armament and agility) for the non-rocket-armed Mi-8's.

As for why they did not include an Mi-2 as a comparable adversary to the UH-1, once again, I guess it would have made too much sense.

It's a shame really.

Edited by blackdog~

The Sea Knight isn't in it because the MV-22 is replacing the CH-46. I wish they had the CH-53 and I guess the Mi-2.

The Sea Knight isn't in it because the MV-22 is replacing the CH-46.

this. however, methinks they could have added the CH-46 anyway.

i'm kinda hoping that the upcoming expansion pack will also feature a few additional Marine vehicles such as the CH-46 and the CH-53. they said that there will not just be Army units in the add-on, so the possibility is there.

CH47 Chinook ≠ CH46 Sea Knight

As for why they did not include this or a CH53 by default in the game... well, I guess it would just make too much sense to have a comparable adversary (in terms of armament and agility) for the non-rocket-armed Mi-8's.

As for why they did not include an Mi-2 as a comparable adversary to the UH-1, once again, I guess it would have made too much sense.

It's a shame really.

Or indeed something like the Il-76 to match the C130. Oh well... Modders to the rescue I hope...

Or indeed something like the Il-76 to match the C130. Oh well... Modders to the rescue I hope...

Was the C-130 used in the campaign(I didn't play it)? If yes, than its propaply because C-130 was needed in the campaign and because they already had the model.

They should have added the CH46 Sea Knight and the CH53 Super Stallion. Both are used more than the UH1Y AFAIK.

There were 525+ CH46s built and the USMC use them most of the time. Only 112 or so CH53 Super Stallions were built or are in service. Both of those should be in there instead of the Blackhawk and UH1Y.

They should have added the CH46 Sea Knight and the CH53 Super Stallion. Both are used more than the UH1Y AFAIK.

There were 525+ CH46s built and the USMC use them most of the time. Only 112 or so CH53 Super Stallions were built or are in service. Both of those should be in there instead of the Blackhawk and UH1Y.

Agreed! I always wondered why they weren't included. VBS1 has both of them.

Hopefully someone can make a CH-46. I would try to make one but unfortunately no time atm.

On one of the screenshots from the upcoming expansion, I did spot a Chinook.

Again, CH47 Chinook ≠ CH46 Sea Knight.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Somewhat on-topic rant:

Striking a balance between BLUFOR and OPFOR sides does not seem to have been a priority in ArmA/ArmA2.

This is really a shame because I feel that this a big reason why people are only interested in co-op multiplayer scenarios these days rather than PvP (which was pretty popular in OFP).

You can all say and pretend that "addon makers will fix it" but you know what - I've been playing BI games for quite some time now, and while I respect the work that addon makers do, I have come to realize that the MAJORITY of people playing multiplayer are uninterested, overwhelmed, or too short on time to mess with addons. They just want to play a game for an hour or two without having to waste hours downloading addons that are not standardized, or not worth even having in the whole scheme of things - like road signs or something similarly silly. More vehicles and equipment and weapons need to come as default content, or should be offered as OFFICIAL downloadable content in patches.

In Operation Flashpoint, most WEST vehicles or weapon had an EAST adversary featuring VERY similar armaments and handling characteristics (with the exception of a few). So, one could create a PvP mission with an M2A2, HMMWV, Jeep, 5 Ton, Disarmed UH60, M1A1, Vulcan and M60 for the WEST side and counterbalance teams perfectly with a BMP2, BRDM, UAZ, Ural, Disarmed Mi17, T80, Shilka, and T72. Life was grand. This is what made CTI in OFP so great - it was a fair fight. The few vehicles that were not PvP friendly were just left out with no real loss in the fun.

In Armed Assault, the vehicle selection was even smaller than in OFP. WEST vehicles/weapons had to be counterbalanced with both RESISTANCE and EAST vehicles, with holes still left to fill. You had to counter M1A1's with T72's for christ's sake - this was a JOKE.

In Armed Assault 2, there is a greater focus on realism which is nice. but the WEST side still reigns in terms of equipment and weapons. Oh, how nice it would be to have an Mi-2 to counter the UH-1, and a CH-53 to counter the Mi-8, yadda yadda yadda.

I don't feel like typing anymore. This is just one game-breaker out of so, so many for me. With the stubborn attitudes that so many people on this forum have I doubt that this will change any minds or provoke any thought anyway. I can only hope that some of the things I've mentioned have been fixed or added in Arrowhead, so I can start playing the game that I love so much again...

Edited by blackdog~
Errors.

if we go out of topic again I gotta say somthing

when there will finally be realistic entrerting and exiting from vehicles?

what I mean is,open doors and cargo doors

I want that when you'll do "enter helicopter" for example,the cargo door will open automatically,same in APCs..

and why since OFP till now we still can't fire when inside vehicle?

In Armed Assault 2, there is a greater focus on realism which is nice. but the WEST side still reigns in terms of equipment and weapons. Oh, how nice it would be to have an Mi-2 to counter the UH-1, and a CH-53 to counter the Mi-8, yadda yadda yadda.

I don't really see how the Marines have a clear superiority. For example:

Tanks:

M1A1/A2 vs T-90 - Yes the M1s are better, but the T-90 has the guided Refleks AT rocket, and the main gun is still capable of breaking the turret or immobilising an M1A1/A2 in one hit, and the second hit will kill. And tank battles are more about who gets the shot first and is in a better position than anything. If you catch an M1 by surprise in the T-90 then there'll be nothing stopping you from getting the kill. It's not a very uneven match in my opinion.

APCs:

BMP-3 vs LAV-25 - this is a joke, the BMP-3 is so much better in practically every respect that I don't think it's the right comparison, but the Marines have nothing else. The BMP-3 is far tougher, has both a 30mm and 100mm cannon, a guided AT-rocket, and 3 MGs. Bear in mind the LAV-25 is the best APC the Marines have, so as far as APCs go Russia wins by a mile.

BTR-90 vs LAV-25 - so how about the lighter wheeled APC vs the LAV? Sounds like a more fair comparison? Even the BTR-90 dominates the LAV in nearly every respect. It has far better armament - 600rpm cannon, guided AT, automatic grenade launcher, MG - and even has stronger armour from what I can tell.

AAV - has worse armament (and I think armour) than all the others and has no real anti-armour ability. So Russia clearly dominates in light armour.

Helicopters:

KA-52 vs AH-1Z - debatable, but it's obviously close enough to not give one side any big advantage over the other. The obvious advantage of the Cobra is that its cannon can be freely turned which is very useful for CAS. On the other hand the KA-52 has 12 Vikhr rockets which can be used both against ground and air targets, vs the Cobra's 8 Hellfires. Both are superb attack helicopters in game and well-matched.

UH-1Y vs Mi-8MTV-3 - Why is this not a valid comparison? Sure its no Huey to fly, but it has a large passenger capacity, an MG on the nose, side and rear, and a huge number of unguided rockets. I'd give the win to the Huey for sheer versatility (I'd hate to try a tricky insertion in an Mi-8) plus its superior door guns, but the Mi-8 has a great potential in a limited attack/CAS role given its huge rocket supply, which the Huey lacks.

Mi-24P/V vs.... what? - Here's the kicker when it comes to comparing helicopters. What exactly do the Marines have to counter the Mi-24s? Nothing as far as I can tell. And you cannot underestimate the abilities of the hinds. They are potentially devastating in an attack / CAS role with powerful unguided rockets, cannons (both fixed and movable), bombs, and potent AT-rockets. On top of all of this they can transport a squad of 8 men.

So I'd argue the Russians aren't outclassed by the Marines, they just have different helicopters for different styles of warfare.

I could go on obviously, but you get the idea. I just don't see where this big gap in technology is supposed to be. I'm personally very impressed by how well the Russians stack up against BLUFOR this time around.

The ka-52 is a bit of a let down (its the king of gunships)

It should be faster than AH-1Z, its should go 390km/h

And it is easily the best armoured chopper today along with it's single seat cousin

Also from wiki:

The aircraft's agility allows the weapon control system to turn the cannon (and the entire helicopter) to point at the target acquired in the pilot's helmet sight about as fast as the cannon turret of the Apache or the Mi-28 turns.[citation needed] The semi-rigid mounting improves the cannon's accuracy, giving the 30 mm a longer practical range and better hit ratio at medium ranges than with a free-turning turret mount

It seems disadvataged in the game when using cannon