Sign in to follow this  
koroush47

Why are there literally 0 PVP servers?

The voice is off because it crashes the game, so hopefully BIS will fix it someday. You also can't understand much of what people are saying even when it is on anyway.

All of that can be fixed.

Someday...

If it's organised, co-op is better. If it's purely public, versus is better.

Organised PVPs tend to get bitchy (only in my experience) and public co-ops are boring (in general).

That said, a highly organised, immersive, no respawn co-op beats PVP hands down any day. ;)

I don't know, the AI is so stupid in 1.03 it really kills my coop motivation (that wasn't that high in the firstplace). I'd link my "Arma 2 AI silliness" video again but then even I would call that spamming...

You are welcome to try out TV2's pvp-servers

Server 1 runs Berserk

Server 2 runs Warefare BE

Admins are usually on from 19.00 GMT.

Regards

HTL

Edited by HTL.NOR

If you want small scale CTF's, DM's and holds then SBS (the original ofp SBS) and DST servers are always up and running,, SBS members tend to be on Sundays Tues and wed, u r welcome to vote an admin on any other day, We have both been playing PVP since OFP. These servers and others like them OWM etc tend to run fast paced maps, We run our server at a 20 player (we can increase at any time, just requires a reboot of server ) because simply its easier to keep the knobs out and keeps it personal which is how we like it.

Command to vote admin is

#vote admin "username or server number" get server number by typing #userlist

Ever since Gamespy messed up the servers BMF is the most populated U.S. server. I regularly see 40 people on at night, so if you're in the U.S. you can try that one.

At OGN we run Pvp every Friday and Sunday nights, has proved to be very popular :)

At OGN we run Pvp every Friday and Sunday nights, has proved to be very popular :)

Then run more of it.

Ive been bustin ass creating maps and trying to get players on our server.

Search for the Team Toast Server. Its All high quality PVP only. I dont know what else I can do to try and populate the server. We got great maps running, yet the server is empty day after day.

At this point I am beyond frustrated with this.

Ive been bustin ass creating maps and trying to get players on our server.

Search for the Team Toast Server. Its All high quality PVP only. I dont know what else I can do to try and populate the server. We got great maps running, yet the server is empty day after day.

At this point I am beyond frustrated with this.

I just joined your server and your maps are great and the ping was low. It was also nice to see Utes maps, I'm tired of everyone running Chernarus. I think the problem is this game really doesn't have many people playing so they tend to stick with a few servers that are consistently populated (BMF, 15th MEU, etc.) Probably the first thing anyone does when logging in is sort servers by population which results in a few servers having players and the rest having no players. Your maps are good and it sucks that nobody plays your server, but maybe instead of throwing it all away you could convince some of the populated PvP servers to use your maps.

ok guys, the Team Toast Server is no more.

After much effort trying to get the server populated, and after discussing the situation, the team has decided to use the server for other games.

We all felt we gave it our best shot, and its just not worth the effort anymore.

Good Luck with whatever it is you guys are doing.

Based on the community preference of games, we assume Arma 3 will be a cross between Farm Wars, Chernarus Life, and perhaps a game mode where players just drive tanks around by themselves aimlessly. :)

(not that any of that is the games fault, im looking at you players) :681:

@Randir14, I apologize, I just saw your post, Thank you very much for the kind words, and for taking the time to check out our server. Unfortunately the decision has already been made to shut it down.

I have sent BMF the map files for guts and glory, but i dont know if theyll play it because its currently set up for 32 players. Bigger isnt always better and I just wanted to make sure it ran ok, and that the map would accommodate a larger number of players before making it a full 50 player match. Additionally all the maps i created are posted on armaholic (search deadsmell) and over on the user missions section of the bohemia forums (where it has over 1020 views and 14 comments 10 of which are from me.)

I may still try and host some maps off of my own rig, but to be honest im not sure if I want to spend one more second in an empty server by myself waiting for hours on end, and the thought of jumping into one of the popular servers where the gameplay is just......well.........if youve played in them you know. sorry im just a bit frustrated.

Anyway Thank You Randir14.

If you see "deadsmells place" server feel free to join, it may not be a big huge dedicated with 100mbps, just a guy trying to have fun with like minded people.

Edited by deadsmell

No problem man I totally understand how you feel, if I was in your shoes I'd do the same thing. No point having a server that nobody plays.

I shut my Amra server down too .

Too many smacktards that just want to mess the game up for everyone , even went private server but idoits that where members kept crashing the server.

Arma I had promise and I ran servers there amra 2 nothing but kids not wanting to do the missions but rather go around dm'ing , tking and blowing up spwan vech

One of the most annoying things is that PvP servers (and players?) refuse to try anything other than Berserk and the occasional AAS. Arma 2 has a lot more to offer than that. The fact that the smallest pvp mission I've actually seen played is designed for 32 players, which kills it for servers that can't get that many people.

I'm currently working on finishing touches on a small 8 vs 8 mission (16 is max, was even fun with 4). Sure it doesn't cover huge parts of Chernarus and doesn't have tanks and helicopters, but it's something you'll actually be able to play and enjoy on a lower population server. Then again considering how little interest was shown in my 25 vs 25 mission (that was actually fun with 4 vs 4 too!), I doubt that would do any good.

I shut my Amra server down too .

Too many smacktards that just want to mess the game up for everyone , even went private server but idoits that where members kept crashing the server.

Arma I had promise and I ran servers there amra 2 nothing but kids not wanting to do the missions but rather go around dm'ing , tking and blowing up spwan vech

You just need to keep on banning. :p

A good game if you guys are willing to invest alot of money on a 150 player server or something would be what the berzerk servers are doing..

With the bases and the vehicles, but make it in a much larger scale, think the maps out a bit better, and add airplanes and all the good stuff that those servers lack. Then make sure it is low ping so it is a instant Fav for the players and get some solid admins to make sure that we don't have snipers with 50 cals also flying super cobras and shooting missiles then bailing into a sniper spot...

I would do this if I had a stable income (lost my job because of sucky economy, currently a student.... )

Well it is rather simple

a) your mission needs a presentation (marketing)

b) your server needs a presentation (marketing)

c) the running mission needs a certain threshold of playing numbers

Why turn away from AAS? This is the answer you need to provide.

Its amazing that you host first open-server PvPVAi (RPG) game for full 3 hours and only 2 people joined of which one's goal was only TK. There were 6 of us.

So let me rephrase this.

If people found something they enjoy, they won't look for new/different stuff.

So it is your job to catch their interest. Just hosting a mission at some given

point and hoping the mass would overwhelm you is, unfortunately, not realistic.

There is only a given amount of PvP players.

German league players play ESL/BL missions.

Many play berzerk or CTI/Warfare, quite some play AAS and some CTF/DM.

So unless you draw ppl aware from either of these, Coop or Domination/Evo,

or even other games, how do you expect to get numbers?

Edited by kju

The current berserk missions imo are already too big for 150 players. Going bigger would definitely be a very bad thing unless you greatly increase the player count as well (to at least 200 if not more), which is not realistic ATM considering the trouble current servers have to go through to go above 100.

You're right Q. I won't bother anymore and continue to host locked server missions only with my squad and friendly clans/teams ;)

As you can see here we are pretty active ;)

I'll also create:

- two new islands

- couple of more new types of RPG missions

- release mp-coop packs with constantly updating 'em, something like PRACS. I have over than 200+ missions made for A1 and will pick best out to make a pack.

Hopefully people will start to experiment with new stuff that way :)

That is your conclusion IceBreakr and not mine. :)

How about announcing a test session the forum here?

Sending regular updates of the mission to the news site and also mentioning your server.

You said you were unhappy about the outcome of your game session.

You can also look at it this way. How do people select their server to play on?

Probably either by filtering for player count, for ping or mission.

Pretty hard to catch the attention if you only rely on an open server with a lower

number of player on.

I also agree that these very high player server are not necessarily a good development.

More slots does not mean better or more action paced gameplay.

This is mainly how the mission is designed.

At the same time many people do join servers with 10+ ppl in the expectation of 'action'

while servers with low numbers are generally ignore.

At the same time every server starts with low numbers at some point.

So the only chance is either long wait, luck, join with a team or rely on a popular mission

name to get numbers normally.

The alternative, not easy and work, is to advertise and organize game events I think.

Again I think there is somewhat a responsibility of mission designers to make slots not

too high and to work on making gameplay effective instead of long walks or wait times

that create the need for more players.

Edited by kju

Kju: I cannot make test session yet - we're looking for a new dedicated server that is capable on handling more players.

I have a pvp server running on a spare box with 100% aas maps and proper difficulty settings, its ALWAYS empty. :)

I suggest joining Mosh's.

One of the biggest problems is that the smallest PvP maps are made for 32 players and don't really work with much less than that, so nobody wants to join an empty server, and the empty servers stay empty. That's why I made my 8v8 bunker control chernogorsk mission, which works fine even with 6 players (3v3).