R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

What kind of graphics card could I buy that would be an upgrade and still work with my set up?

As long as you have an available PCI-e x16/x8 slot, you can get pretty much anything your PSU can handle.

this always happens with my old computer (and my friends).

Alright cool. Im getting a new case to fit the new power supply and graphics card, then hopefully that should do it. Thanks for all the help guys

i got a i5 2500k@4ghz, 8gb 1600mhz memory and a gtx 560 ti, im getting low fps with everything on very high except post-processing is disabled

i got a i5 2500k@4ghz, 8gb 1600mhz memory and a gtx 560 ti, im getting low fps with everything on very high except post-processing is disabled

Try turning down some settings maybe? If you are truly running everything at "Very High" then things like HDR Precision and Terrain Detail are going to hurt your FPS a lot at Very High. Also, set Video Memory to Default if you haven't already. Try using less Anti-Aliasing as well and use FXAA or SMAA instead (enabled from the .cfg file).

What resolution are you running? What View Distance?

The 560 Ti is a good card but you're probably not going to be able to max out.

please post all the settings and run the benchmark 01 and e08 scenario's. that way we can compare.

Month ago i bought new CPU for my computer and reinstalled Windows. Now when i got ArmA 2 installed I have been experiencing weird thing: ArmA 2 has 10-20 FPS all time even I have Quad Core and play on lowest settings. (Older one was AMD Athlon II x2). ArmA 2 with my old CPU could run high settings without any problems and had FPS around 30-40 at all times.

Here is my rig:

OS is Windows 7 64bit

AS ROCK N68C-S UCC

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

Radeon HD 6870 1024MB GDDR5

4GB RAM

strange, your computer works fine in all other games? normal benchmark scores etc?

strange, your computer works fine in all other games? normal benchmark scores etc?

On some yes, i have been experiencing same problems with Men of War & Battlefield 3. On my other games they work like normal.

your bios supports the cpu (might be a new stepping) and is not in some sort of incredibly slow compatibility mode?

I have a decent vid card - Radeon HD6870 - and I can drop into an empty Chernarus or a simple mission and get 60+ fps on high settings, but any time I join a multiplayer game or attempt complex missions, my fps drops down to 20 or so. My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8Ghz (OCed to 3.2). Am I correct in assuming this is what's holding me back? And if so, is there any way to optimize the game for CPU performance rather than VPU? Because when I lower graphics settings it doesn't effect framerate at all.

It would really suck if I can't enjoy multiplayer or some of the dynamic full-map missions. I've already put 200+ hours into the editor and SP missions, so I can't really complain, but I just really wish MP was an option. This is the only game this rig is incapable of playing, regardless of graphics settings. Bummer! :(:(

*EDIT* - Also, I just read on RockPaperShotgun that ARMA gets better framerates online because the server does all the large CPU calculation work for you. Is there any truth to this? I find quite the opposite, I can't even play simple MP games without a framerate of 20!

Edited by boyBlue32

your bios supports the cpu (might be a new stepping) and is not in some sort of incredibly slow compatibility mode?

I think so, i edited some settings on BIOS, but ArmA2 is still lagging

what is your cinebench score? (2 cpu tests, single and multithreaded)

also, is your psu up to the job, if it is and other games work ok it's probably the amd gpu driver that doesnt like arma, there's plenty, some of em work.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

I have a decent vid card - Radeon HD6870 - and I can drop into an empty Chernarus or a simple mission and get 60+ fps on high settings, but any time I join a multiplayer game or attempt complex missions, my fps drops down to 20 or so. My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8Ghz (OCed to 3.2). Am I correct in assuming this is what's holding me back? And if so, is there any way to optimize the game for CPU performance rather than VPU? Because when I lower graphics settings it doesn't effect framerate at all.

It would really suck if I can't enjoy multiplayer or some of the dynamic full-map missions. I've already put 200+ hours into the editor and SP missions, so I can't really complain, but I just really wish MP was an option. This is the only game this rig is incapable of playing, regardless of graphics settings. Bummer! :(:(

*EDIT* - Also, I just read on RockPaperShotgun that ARMA gets better framerates online because the server does all the large CPU calculation work for you. Is there any truth to this? I find quite the opposite, I can't even play simple MP games without a framerate of 20!

multiplayer is not as heavy on the cpu, all the ai not under your command is calculated by the server. you're probably still cpu bottlenecked often, but it's good enough to play.

Hi,

I've played Arma II recently on very high and never had a performance problem. I have the following components:

i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz

8GB DDR

Gigabyte GTX 570 OC

Today I installed DayZ mod, and when I arrived on the main screen after loading the game I realized even the menu was choppy and moving the cursor was very difficult, it must have been running under 10 fps. Of course after launching the game itself it was much worse and completely unplayable.

I tried reducing the details and it works somewhat, but even on Low it's barely playable.

I've no idea what's causing this so I decided to post here. I have the 301.42 nvidia drivers and Win 7.

Thanks for any help :confused:

I restarted my pc and windows installed a few updates, and now it works perfectly again. strange!

Edited by MKN9

Hi guys I just bought the combined operation version yesterday (none steam), I know its ARMA and you will be having low frame rates.

But I didn't expect it to be as slow as it was, I think I wan running 5-10fps or lower on my rig, I originally bought it for DayZ but I cant play Dayz too because there was another error so I decided to just play Arma 2 and wait for Dayz to go beta and a more stable build.

My Rig is.

AMD 9550 Phenom Quad

Nvidia 560ti

4GB DDR2 800

1GB Sata 2

K9N6PGM2-V2 (MOBO)

Windows 7 64-bit

I know the proci, mobo and ram is old that's next on my upgrade list, but all modern games run fine I patched Arma 2 (No expansion) to 1.11 that did not help at all no noticeable change in frame rates

I reduced all settings to the lowest value got the same frame rate and increased all settings to the highest setting frame rate got a bit slower to same frame rates.

I have seen people run this game really well on hardware older then mine it just gets me scratching my head.

Installing the expansion still gives the same frame rate and the voice is like on slow motion.

Edited by laughingman

to lighten the cpu load try to run low model detail and low viewdistance. Also, shadows must be high or off, low and medium are cpu shadows.

I'm getting a lot of lagg on lowest specs too, anyone know what i should do?

Not very good with computers so not quite sure what i should be writing down, heres some specs -

Windows 7 ultimate

Intel(R0 Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

4GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 512 MB

Total memory 2797 MB

I'm also on a flat screen TV.

Thanks for anyones help.

9400 GT is below system requirements, might be able to play on 640x480, but I'd advise to put a real gpu in.

oh really? so just buy a better graphics card and it should be ok? what graphics card would you recommend?

Edited by Josholop

Depends on what you're willing to spend, what's availabe for a reasonable price and what kind of psu you have. old psu's often cant deliver the current on the 12V lines required for a powerfull gpu.

to lighten the cpu load try to run low model detail and low viewdistance. Also, shadows must be high or off, low and medium are cpu shadows.

I already swapped all the settings from the lowest to the highest and back again hardly and performance differential to none.:p

UPDATE: Ran cccleaner to de-gunk my registry now the game runs smooth must be doing 60fps, on the very lowest settings now I can tweak my preferences.

cheerio!

Edited by laughingman

Whenever I host a game (listen server), the game runs just fine for about 30 minutes to an hour. Then it begins to slow down and gets more sluggish as the game goes on. Eventually, things get to a slide show....menus render the box with nothing in them for like fifteen seconds or so and...it just becomes unplayable.

This happens even if it's just me playing a local LAN game with nobody else in the game.

The odd thing is, if I connect to a friend who's hosting the game is amazing. Fluid FPS with everything at max settings. Rich color depth, dark shadows and deep blacks etc. I'm not running any mods currently though I have tried a few so they're still in the directory but I load it up clean.

Has anyone heard of this before?

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ stock 3.2GHz

Mobo: BioStar currently (had to go cheap this time)

RAM: 16GB DDR3

GPU: nVidia GTX260 (no OC)

HDD: 1TB WD 7200rpm

As I said, I can play for HOURS with NO issues what so ever as long as I'm not hosting. I thought maybe it was the router or something network related but I can't see how this would cause this kind of issue. I also thought that perhaps I'm playing CTI style games all the time that perhaps there's just too much info at some point for the CPU to juggle everything and it starts lagging. I know the CPU isn't the greatest but I'd not expect it to have THIS kind of issues.

Two of my clanmates also have the exact same problem. One who's system is almost a twin to mine and the other who has an i5 with high zoot hardware in it.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Edited by Streaks
Forgot OS

Hello there,

I bought the game via Steam a couple of days ago, of course expecting bad performance and bugs galore. :yay:

Yet, Bohemia Interactive managed to surprise me.

This is my system:

Intel E8400 @ 3.6 Ghz

4 Gb RAM

Radeon HD6850

Win XP Pro 32 bit

All drivers/software is up to date.

So, the performance of ArmA 2 and OA is simply abysmal. Setting the graphics to low/medium (1680x1050) produces 10-35 FPS (usually in the low twenties), which is "slightly below my expectations"...

That's not all. Both games are systematically crashing, offering all sorts of CTDs at random intervals. One thing that helped was to delete the .dll files from OA's "dll" folder. Yet, the game is still unplayable.

This is the point when I have to utter the usual "all other games run just fine". Yeah, they do.

So, folks, can you advise? I can provide the necessary log files. I really want to give BI a chance here, but I'm at the end of my patience with this piece of... software.