R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

@Breguinho

I see in your photobucket screenshot your settings have your video memory set to Very Low. Change that to High or Very High.

Second, have you changed the fillrate down to say 1680x1050, or at least reduce it incrementally to see whether your frames per second improves?

Third, is the 24-30 fps you describe in effect from the moment the game starts, or is this only in the official campaign (Red Harvest)? It is my understanding that those missions are capped at 30 fps and you won't get higher than that regardless of machine spec.

Try opening the editor and dropping yourself onto the map alone or with a small number of AI as opponents and see how your frames per second are affected.

Also, I've had video driver corruption just running the game normally which brings my frames per second down into the single digits upon game start (it's usually up in the high 80s-low-90s in the Khe San flyovers. Perhaps uninstall your video drivers, then reinstall them (search for the 'right' way to uninstall and reinstall video drivers to avoid more complications from an incomplete uninstall).

Im talking about MP, i don't care about SP coz i don't play it. As i said before, tryed everything to improve my performance but there's no improve.

Im gonna try to unninstall the game and re-installing to see if there's any improve, after that if this is still going this crappy...

I tried changing the page file and setting video memory to very high with no difference at all. At present I'm having an absolute blast trying to figure out how to install XP on a sata hard drive with no floppy drive to install the drivers. fuuuuuuuuuuuun!

I tried changing the page file and setting video memory to very high with no difference at all. At present I'm having an absolute blast trying to figure out how to install XP on a sata hard drive with no floppy drive to install the drivers. fuuuuuuuuuuuun!

my HDD is SATA and i need no special floppy. ignore the F6 function when installing ;)

my HDD is SATA and i need no special floppy. ignore the F6 function when installing ;)

thank you, thank you, thank you! Reason I was doing this is I had to do it with my old sata desktop. I tried just running setup and lo and behold it worked! You just saved me hours of my life! :yay:

Will report results as soon as installed. Only thing I'm worried about is will I take a big performance hit installing 32 bit XP on my 64bit PC? I'll have to try get hold of 64bit XP if this is the case.

arma22009120216553400.th.png

With that settings(Bajo=Low, Muy Alto=Very High, Normal=Medium) I got 30-55FPS, more 45 than 55 but is much playable than before.

Anyone remember that flag on shortcut to active crossfire?

thank you, thank you, thank you! Reason I was doing this is I had to do it with my old sata desktop. I tried just running setup and lo and behold it worked! You just saved me hours of my life! :yay:

Will report results as soon as installed. Only thing I'm worried about is will I take a big performance hit installing 32 bit XP on my 64bit PC? I'll have to try get hold of 64bit XP if this is the case.

mine is 32bit buddy, it should be fine ;)

well this is absolutely AMAZING!!! I've finished installing XP and Arma 2 is now a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME! I am now getting average of 60 fps (I think it maxes there) and the lowest it's dropped thus far is around 45. It's like going from a slideshow on windows 7 to a movie on XP.

Colt, thanks a million for your help, I would have given up on the game if it weren't for you. The only downside is that I've wasted $130 on a useless operating system and will probably have to buy a new copy of XP. While I'm very stoked with this find, I'm also really disgusted that microsoft has released yet anoher poorly performing product.

Rapala, how did u installed WinXP with Win7 on the same HDD? I don't wanna unnistall Win7 coz is working great with every single game except this one.

in disk management in Windows 7 you can shrink the partition and create a new partition with the unused space. I installed XP on the new partition. I haven't got round to seeing how I get back into Windows 7 but it should be simple enough by editing the boot.ini file in the root of the drive

in disk management in Windows 7 you can shrink the partition and create a new partition with the unused space. I installed XP on the new partition. I haven't got round to seeing how I get back into Windows 7 but it should be simple enough by editing the boot.ini file in the root of the drive

Good luck with that

Windows 7 / vista uses a totally different system to control booting

You will probably have to do a windows 7 reapir form the dvd to get it to boot again

Good luck with that

Windows 7 / vista uses a totally different system to control booting

You will probably have to do a windows 7 reapir form the dvd to get it to boot again

I lost the boot menu when I dual installed Vista and Win7 RC1. I used this program to get it back again - it was really easy.

http://neosmart.net/thankyou.php?app=EasyBCD

I tried the demo this morning, and hit the mouse lag issues. I've read around to try a few things to fix that. I think I'll go back to XP as well - I've noticed FPS issues in other games as well.

I'm using my laptop - but I should get a decent framerate, even though it's not a super powerful laptop.

well this is absolutely AMAZING!!! I've finished installing XP and Arma 2 is now a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME! I am now getting average of 60 fps (I think it maxes there) and the lowest it's dropped thus far is around 45. It's like going from a slideshow on windows 7 to a movie on XP.

Colt, thanks a million for your help, I would have given up on the game if it weren't for you. The only downside is that I've wasted $130 on a useless operating system and will probably have to buy a new copy of XP. While I'm very stoked with this find, I'm also really disgusted that microsoft has released yet anoher poorly performing product.

its not entirely the O/S at fault, nor is it the game, see the game was developed and released before W7, now 7 is an upgrade from vista but again the game and the O/S could not be tested together at the time of developing. thats the only problem.

anyway i'm glad its working well for you, please enjoy the game now to its fullest :D

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

oh it is possible to dual boot off one HDD but i think one partition has to be FAT32 for it to work right?

anyway, Rapala is happy he has the game running, i'm sure he will spend more time on XP than 7 from now on ;)

i'm sure he will spend more time on XP than 7 from now on ;)

That would be a very good bet :D

In all seriousness, this is a very big find and perhaps a sticky thread should be made to warn other windows 7 users who are not looking indepth in this thread?

That would be a very good bet :D

In all seriousness, this is a very big find and perhaps a sticky thread should be made to warn other windows 7 users who are not looking indepth in this thread?

sshhh.... dont say anything but someone called me a troll, when i was only trying to help someone. ....

look....

come on, colt45, that's not about "what fps is smooth", stop trolling.

:lol:

ssshhh!! ;)

I think what you guys are missing is that all your recent revelations and discussions are old news and have been completely worked through in other posts/threads.

If you search this forum you will find plenty of info to get the game running very well on W7.

I think what you guys are missing is that all your recent revelations and discussions are old news and have been completely worked through in other posts/threads.

If you search this forum you will find plenty of info to get the game running very well on W7.

Are u that sure? Coz i din't see many problems about running on Win7. Show me something plz...

EDIT: Again working crappy, 30FPS at best and getting peacks of 25 sometimes, Why the hell is this happening? Of course there's something that is not working properly.

Edited by Breguinho

Are u that sure? Coz i din't see many problems about running on Win7. Show me something plz...

EDIT: Again working crappy, 30FPS at best and getting peacks of 25 sometimes, Why the hell is this happening? Of course there's something that is not working properly.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/777-7/dossier-amd-radeon-hd-5970.html Where are you testing your FPS at?

Edited by kklownboy

Just thought I'd add that Crysis is also running a zillion times better on XP than Win 7

Im testing it on multiplayer and some single maps that are appart from campaing. I turned my crossfire off on CCC and get same FPS, it is clear that crossfire is not working on this f*cking game and I don't know why.

Yes I am having bad game performance. my rig:

800 MHz CPU

256 MB RAM

GeForce MX 5500

2600 RPM HD

Win 95

Please help.

800 MHz CPU

256 MB RAM

GeForce MX 5500

2600 RPM HD

Win 95

Please help.

I don't get ya.

800 MHz CPU

256 MB RAM

GeForce MX 5500

2600 RPM HD

Win 95

Please help.

I don't get ya.

must be a joke lol

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:59 PM ----------

well i dunno what i done different but just went ingame cranked everything to the max, and had fluid game play. i'm thinking beta 718 has done something?

before i could only have view distance 1/3 up.

has anyone els noticed a performance boost on this beta?

has anyone els noticed a performance boost on this beta?

yep seems like smoothest beta yet for me....

I'm running a quad core 2.6ghz with dual 1gb graphics cards 4gb ram... still having probs.

This is a really buggy game, keeps crashing, poor AI at most times makes this a very frustrating experience. I have spoken to placebo about my frustrations and his answer was well if they are in the bug report and are escalated to a sufficiently high level the maybe something will be done to sort them out...

Not good enough for me really. It seems that Bohemia were way to keen to get this released before Dragon Rising to try and beat them to the market. I would have preferred them to wait and do a good job instead of a half assed attempt at what has the potential to be an excellent game with tonnes of depth... if only for the crappy AI and poor performance issues.

Laters.