R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

Well, Domination is a pretty huge mission with a lot of AI and scripting. It's not uncommon to get low FPS, though I think you are experiencing lower than expected. There are a number of indirect things you can try to boost FPS, other than upgrading your hardware:

-Defragment your game cache via Steam (go into the Properties of the games)

-Try something like Game Booster (might help you, seeing as you don't have a ton of RAM)

-If you've been playing/updating ArmA 2 for awhile, try deleting your ArmA2OA.cfg file in My Documents/ArmA 2 OA/ and reconfiguring your video settings (sometimes helps when updating between patches/betas)

Try playing Domi on your friend's local server to see what your FPS is like.

Are there any problems with playing ARMA 2 via HDMI on my 52" Sony LCD TV that I should be aware of? I havent got it hooked up yet but wanted to see who else may also be playing on the big screen. My system specs are:

i7-3770 CPU

GTX 555

8GB Ram

256 SSD

Edited by SWAT_Glock

Shouldn't be a problem. LCD TVs are essentially like giant LCD PC monitors, anyway.

Are there any problems with playing ARMA 2 via HDMI on my 52" Sony LCD TV that I should be aware of? I havent got it hooked up yet but wanted to see who else may also be playing on the big screen. My system specs are:

i7-3770 CPU

GTX 555

8GB Ram

256 SSD

I would say it depends.

I play 1920x1080 res on a 22†monitor, with most settings on very high (not all). Lets say you play the same on a 52â€, at the same res, then your going to have to sit well back (which no doubt you will do with such a large screen), but it will show up more imperfections in the graphics

However if the screen your going to play on is a very high res (for gaming, doubtful if it’s a tv) then this would not apply.

Can’t tell until you do it, and if you have the tv and the game then give it a go and let us all know..;)

Playing via htmi will not be a problem, I do..

i7-3770 CPU

GTX 555

8GB Ram

256 SSD

bigger screen means higher resolution to make it look good, just make sure your gpu is up to the task, usually people that use sli gpu are the one that's using such a big monitor.

CPU saturation is major bottleneck/performance hog in 9/10 cases 95% times :(

i blame blame iNtel "development tools", obviously undeveloped to b used in production, lol.

Hey guys, I'm just looking for what you all think would be the best settings for me to run my game on. I currently play on a 60hz 1080p monitor.

This is my setup:

CPU- i7 3930k @3.2GHz

GPU- Radeon 7970HD x2 (Don't know if this game is well optimized for crossfire mode)

RAM- 32GB

Playing game installed on an SSD for better load times.

Best thing is to just try the highest settings you want and see how it runs. With your computer you shouldn't have trouble running most, if not all settings at Very High, though. View Distance I would keep at 5000 or below.

I assume that 3.2 Ghz is the stock speed for the CPU, so I would highly recommend overclocking to 4+ GHz if you can.

sadly such amounts of ram wasn't used by Arma2 directly, yet[unless Arma3 comes or x64 support within patch].

also extra-GPu can help, esp with updated[more or less frequently]Catalyst appz profiles, but generally 6Gb[insted of 3Gb] onboard memory helps little more than that :)

generally IB CPU's are okay -) colder and with fixed serious issues[as usual with newer chips]/errors.

Best thing is to just try the highest settings you want and see how it runs. With your computer you shouldn't have trouble running most, if not all settings at Very High, though. View Distance I would keep at 5000 or below.

I assume that 3.2 Ghz is the stock speed for the CPU, so I would highly recommend overclocking to 4+ GHz if you can.

Thanks for the help and yes 3.2Ghz is the stock speed for the CPU. Can you recommend me a good OC guide? I have never done it before as I was always afraid I'd fry my system lol. Currently I'm running the following settings at 3600 view distance:

Quality preference: Very High

Interface resolution: 1920 x 1080

3D Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (100%)

Texture Detail: Very High

Video Memory: Very High (Honestly don't know what this controls)

Anisotropic Filtering: Very High

AA: Normal

ATOC: Disabled

Terrain Detail: Very High

Objects Detail: Very High

Shadow Detail: High

HDR: High (What exactly does this control?)

PPAA: Disabled

Postprocess effects: High

Vsync: Disabled

On the E08 Benchmark, I scored an average of 48 fps utilizing crossfire mode with the A2OA demo profile (that's the only one available unfortunately). I feel though that sometimes my game stutter's a little when I am zoomed in and spin around. Do you think OCing my CPU would help with this?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help and yes 3.2Ghz is the stock speed for the CPU. Can you recommend me a good OC guide? I have never done it before as I was always afraid I'd fry my system lol. Currently I'm running the following settings at 3600 view distance:

Quality preference: Very High

Interface resolution: 1920 x 1080

3D Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (100%)

Texture Detail: Very High

Video Memory: Very High (Honestly don't know what this controls)

Anisotropic Filtering: Very High

AA: Normal

ATOC: Disabled

Terrain Detail: Very High

Objects Detail: Very High

Shadow Detail: High

HDR: High (What exactly does this control?)

PPAA: Disabled

Postprocess effects: High

Vsync: Disabled

On the E08 Benchmark, I scored an average of 48 fps utilizing crossfire mode with the A2OA demo profile (that's the only one available unfortunately). I feel though that sometimes my game stutter's a little when I am zoomed in and spin around. Do you think OCing my CPU would help with this?

Thanks for the help.

it might

As for overclocking the CPU, the -K series processors have an unlocked multiplier, so basically all you have to do is get in the BIOS and up the multiplier incrementally, doing stability tests in between (running something like Prime95 in Windows for awhile) and monitoring your temps. If you are using a stock CPU cooler I would recommend getting something aftermarket, whether it be a high-end air cooler or a closed-loop water cooler (I recommend the water one if you can afford it which, with your rig, it seems like you should be able to). Then you should be able to easily push to 4-4.5 GHz and maybe beyond.

As for your settings, I would turn Video Memory to Default (Very High only uses ~1 GB of VRAM IIRC), Shadow Detail you should be able to run Very High, and Post Processing Effects just set to whatever looks best to you (many people prefer Low/Very Low/Disabled due to motion blur). You could probably enable PPAA to whatever looks best (again, depends on the person) and HDR Precision to Very High if you wanted (you only really notice this at night in my experience. On Normal everything looks more "black and white" whereas with Very High you get more grey transitions...hard to explain but play at night and you will see).

The stutter might be caused by the Video Memory being set to V. High instead of Default, but you can also try OCing the CPU, as well as (possibly) disabling your page file since you have so much RAM. Or, alternately, move the page file to the SSD if it is not there already.

As for overclocking the CPU, the -K series processors have an unlocked multiplier, so basically all you have to do is get in the BIOS and up the multiplier incrementally, doing stability tests in between (running something like Prime95 in Windows for awhile) and monitoring your temps. If you are using a stock CPU cooler I would recommend getting something aftermarket, whether it be a high-end air cooler or a closed-loop water cooler (I recommend the water one if you can afford it which, with your rig, it seems like you should be able to). Then you should be able to easily push to 4-4.5 GHz and maybe beyond.

As for your settings, I would turn Video Memory to Default (Very High only uses ~1 GB of VRAM IIRC), Shadow Detail you should be able to run Very High, and Post Processing Effects just set to whatever looks best to you (many people prefer Low/Very Low/Disabled due to motion blur). You could probably enable PPAA to whatever looks best (again, depends on the person) and HDR Precision to Very High if you wanted (you only really notice this at night in my experience. On Normal everything looks more "black and white" whereas with Very High you get more grey transitions...hard to explain but play at night and you will see).

The stutter might be caused by the Video Memory being set to V. High instead of Default, but you can also try OCing the CPU, as well as (possibly) disabling your page file since you have so much RAM. Or, alternately, move the page file to the SSD if it is not there already.

As far as the system cooling, I already have aftermarket cooling with a Corsair Hydro Series H60 coupled with additional fans. Also, I had to reduce the page file size as it was eating up too much of my 120gb SSD. I gave it a range of 1-4gbs as I was afraid that getting ride of it completely would cause problems. I do find that running on one card instead of in crossfire gives me a bit more stability in a sense that the FPS don't fluctuate nearly as much. Often times with crossfire mode enabled, I'll get up to upwards of 150 fps one minute and then zoom in and it'll drop to 40 which causes some stuttering. I'm gonna try changing some of the settings to the ones you posted and see how it performs on a single card and in crossfire mode first and then if that doesn't work, try OCing the CPU. I'll post back with results.

Thanks a lot for the help Maverick!

Well I ran a few tests using the E08 Benchmark with the settings that Maverick suggested and scored 2 fps higher when running on a single card with the values being 52 fps single card and 50 fps average crossfire mode. Just out of curiosity, I progressively OC'd my GPU to 1050 MHz from the stock 925 MHz and the fps increased to 56 on average using one card. Tomorrow, I'll try OCing the CPU and post back the results.

Hey, so i bought Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead today on steam but the most time its unplayable for me.

I have an i7-2600 3,4GHz, 8GB RAM and a GTX 580 and it doesnt matter if i take low, medium or high settings - i always get the same fps.

Like in the first mission of Operation Arrowhead where you get out of the helicopter, i get about 26 fps. When i look into another direction then suddenly 80 fps, then another direction 130 fps, then again 30 and so on.

And this is getting really on my nerves because you shoot at some guys, everything ok. Then you try to aim at 2 other npcs that are 25 meters on the left and suddenly all the 80 fps are gone...

I tested all the graphic options. And like i said, i can switch the textures from normal to very high - fps doesnt change. I can switch hdr from normal to high - fps doesnt change .. and so on.

I bought the game via steam so its self updating.

I run the game in 1920x1080 (100%) Vsync off

The benchmarks in Arma 2: Benchmark 1 average 75 fps, Benchmark 2 average 24 fps.

When i'm in the game and look into the task manager the cpu usage is 0%.

I really like this game but running around in citys with 25 fps is horrible.

What can i do for better performance?

(i mean the i7 2600 is one of the highest cpu's at this time and the gtx 580 is the 2nd best nvidia card at this time, so there is nothing to upgrade now)

(on what machine did the developers played/tested this?)

the engine is fucked up. still at the end of 2012..

Sooo much dayz user experience the same, not any rig can take arma cause the engine cant handle it.

dont buy this peace of best mil-sim crap fps software if you want a smooth experience. thats it.

... Also, I had to reduce the page file size as it was eating up too much of my 120gb SSD. I gave it a range of 1-4gbs as I was afraid that getting ride of it completely would cause problems....

With 32GB of memory you don't need PF. If you afraid just disable PF for test and see how system work.

Sooo much dayz user experience the same, not any rig can take arma cause the engine cant handle it.

dont buy this peace of best mil-sim crap fps software if you want a smooth experience. thats it.

OK, now please provide an example of a similar game that provides a smooth experience....

For everyone else here are a few tried and tested tweaks that should help you getting OA running as smoothly as possible:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

go whine somewhere else please, this isn't helping anyone.

on my pc it runs fine, besides, dayz is in alpha and not even close to being finished.

i7-3770 CPU

GTX 555

8GB Ram

256 SSD

Dude just try it its awesome. I play it on my 42 LG Cinema 3D TV and it rocks. Specially the 3D part :)

Edited by Denco
I can't spell

Hi all

I've played Arma 2 for a long time. I have a HD6870 and just bought a second, identical 6870.

I'm getting no increase in FPS in crossfire mode, if anything I get a few FPS less. I've tried 12.6 and 12.7 beta drivers, I have the latest CAP. Old drivers were cleaned in safe mode with driver sweeper. In benchmark 01 I get 26 FPS with a single card and 24 FPS with crossfire enabled. I use spirited machine launcher and have tried launching with just the arma2oa.exe. Nothing makes a difference.

I know the cards are fine as crossfire is working in other games with a large increase in FPS.

Any advice?

Thanks

Edited by Brilhasti

might be you're cpu limited at the settings you run. In that case a second gpu wont help.

otherwise, arma 2 and crossfire have never been friends, sli seems to works though, so I guess amd's driver team has other priorities.

might be you're cpu limited at the settings you run. In that case a second gpu wont help.

otherwise, arma 2 and crossfire have never been friends, sli seems to works though, so I guess amd's driver team has other priorities.

I have a Phenom X6 1055T @ 3.5 ghz, should be fine and other games like Skyrim get a large boost. Baffling.

i don't think arma 2 supports crossfire. my 5970 only sees usage on 1 gpu

i don't think arma 2 supports crossfire. my 5970 only sees usage on 1 gpu

It should do. There's an arma 2 crossfire profile.

I have a Phenom X6 1055T @ 3.5 ghz, should be fine and other games like Skyrim get a large boost. Baffling.

Well it's quite easy to be cpu limited with that as arma 2 only scales well to 3 cores. What settings do you run at? the cpu killers are viewdistance, model detail and terrain detail, also put shadows on high or off because medium shadows are done by the cpu.